Post Your Garden!

Associate
I prefer the before pics myself, will have thousands of stuff that feeds thousands of stuff.. it doesn't take a little thought to ensure things survive.. This garden is sterile, can he cut a slot for hedgehogs in his fence? can he leave a nettle quarter at the back of his garden?
This is the thing, , anyone can throw money at a garden, surely you want your garden to help wildlife? This doesn't, it's the usual 'modern' style which means great for now, not for the future.

Associate
actually dead.. but no matter it looks good.. Seriously I have no beef with the person who chose to make this, I just wanted to tell them that it's great, but really bad for nature.. Sorry

Caporegime
actually dead.. but no matter it looks good.. Seriously I have no beef with the person who chose to make this, I just wanted to tell them that it's great, but really bad for nature.. Sorry

Meh. Assuming you're even serious, it's a tiny little garden not a nature reserve. Who cares if it's good for wildlife. It's insignificant.

I don't like it personally, but that's because it looks boring, not because of its impact on nature.

Soldato

Calm down, there are planters in each corner and I presume pots etc will arrive in summer. It's fine.

Associate
Meh. Assuming you're even serious, it's a tiny little garden not a nature reserve. Who cares if it's good for wildlife. It's insignificant.

I don't like it personally, but that's because it looks boring, not because of its impact on nature.

It'd be that x 1 million which means there is NO wildlife, all the little squares make a very large footprint, this is the problem, everyone wants something super neat, unfortunately nature isn't super neat. It isn't a nature reserve you are right, but it really doesn't take much to provide something that nature can use. Currently the garden looks like an operating theatre, completely sterile, if everyone does this, there will be NO insects birds etc.. I have kids, and since becoming a parent, I'm a lot more aware of things I do that can affect stuff 50 -100 years down the line. Nature is a surprisingly tenacious beast, she can cling on with only the tiniest tip of the hat. Even the most minimalist of gardens can provide a little shelter or habitat for wildlife, if everyone does a little bit, whether it be a small area of nettles, literally a half metre square, times it by a million and you do indeed have quite a large 'nature reserve'.

Soldato
lol, another person who can't see sense
There are greater environment issues to lament than the removal of grass in gardens, which strictly speaking could be argued to be as damaging for the environment as no grass at all. The use of fertilizers, fuel to maintain a manicured appearance and in many places the use of water to ensure grass stays green also have environment impacts.

Of course you could categorise such an alternate view as lacking sense to your "correct" opinion. On the other hand I would suggest at least retaining an open mind and entertain the possibility that this issue is more complex that you may have initially considered.

Associate
There are greater environment issues to lament than the removal of grass in gardens, which strictly speaking could be argued to be as damaging for the environment as no grass at all. The use of fertilizers, fuel to maintain a manicured appearance and in many places the use of water to ensure grass stays green also have environment impacts.

Of course you could categorise such an alternate view as lacking sense to your "correct" opinion. On the other hand I would suggest at least retaining an open mind and entertain the possibility that this issue is more complex that you may have initially considered.
I stand exactly by what I said, mainly because we are talking about a tiny space, even in tiny gardens.. if we all add together, then maybe wildlife wins.. surely that's a good thing.. no one is talking about grass, you have brought this in all by yourself..

If everyone gives a little, maybe we end up a lot better than what is currently happening.. If everyone makes 5% effort, would that be a terrible thing?

Man of Honour
Well my gardeners have been in this morning for the last session of the year and my oak trees are 100% naked and their leaves are now in various bags being taken away. I once again have a lawn I can see but even in 3 weeks since they were last here it has taken its toll on the grass. :(

Associate
you got loads of worm casts? Also with the weather turning colder, perennial weeds, and moss shrink a little, show's up the bad spots something awful. Worm casts are a good thing, absolutely brilliant to make a free fertiliser, (aka worm tea). Just make sure you buy some good topsoil, add the worm casts and a load of sharp sand. Make a mix of soil to sand about 1/3 to 2/3 add some good quality reseed lawn seed ( do this late spring). Get a decent lawn scarifying rake, (good exercise!) and remove the thatch. Use a rose fork to put some aeration holes after the last frosts next year, then use your mix to top dress.. water in, and your lawn will be sorted by early summer. If you have problems with weeds in the lawn use a feed and weed, once the new grass has taken, (when the lawn is young, it can be killed by any harsh chemicals!) Good luck

Caporegime
Well my gardeners have been in this morning for the last session of the year and my oak trees are 100% naked and their leaves are now in various bags being taken away. I once again have a lawn I can see but even in 3 weeks since they were last here it has taken its toll on the grass. :(

Why don't you compost the leaves?

Caporegime
Did you get your butler to write this post? :p

Obviously horses for courses but the fun of gardening is in getting mucky and trying different stuff. Maybe you're 90 tho in which case I apologise :p

Man of Honour
The fun of gardening is paying someone else to make it look tidy :D

My garden isn’t that vast I’m told. I gave up after 5 miles of walking :D

Not really

Back
Top Bottom