Post Your Garden!

Man of Honour
My grass isn't looking great at the moment, really thinned out in a couple of places. Looks a lot better than it did this time last year after all the care I put in to it during 2018, but still, I'm hoping that when the weather picks up it will thicken out again but I'm going to be starting the care a lot earlier this time.

Have moss in a couple of small patches as well so going to go sort that out this weekend providing the rain stays at bay. Have avoided walking on the grass when it's been so damp

Caporegime
Very nice. Thinking about doing something similar myself; where did you get the wood from and how much? Did you need to put something between the sleepers and the fence?

I got 'men' to do the work as it would have taken meman age to clear everything. SoSo don't know where the sleepers were purchased. Nope nothing between the fence and sleepers, just a gap about an inch or so and the ground.

geez how did they get away with making such small gardens

The Edwardians? Terraced housing innit. It's 40m in length though, 15m from the back door to the ''purple' fence and then 'the depths' behind.

Soldato
Cheers - really like the look of it, and something has to be said about a small garden. Wouldn't thank you for a large one - mine is smaller than yours and maintaining it is still a hassle!

Man of Honour
My back lawn looks awful at the moment. Gone so thin around the edges and moss has consumed a large part of the grass. Really fighting the urge to go at it now, but I know I should just wait until the weather improves and get some proper lawn treatment/seed on there.

So frustrating as it looked amazing last year with all the work I did on it from spring, feels like it was for nothing when it’s like this though

EDIT - just seen my post from January. Forgot I moaned then too :p

Associate
My back lawn looks awful at the moment. Gone so thin around the edges and moss has consumed a large part of the grass. Really fighting the urge to go at it now, but I know I should just wait until the weather improves and get some proper lawn treatment/seed on there.

So frustrating as it looked amazing last year with all the work I did on it from spring, feels like it was for nothing when it’s like this though

EDIT - just seen my post from January. Forgot I moaned then too :p

Are you cutting your grass at the correct height? I find a lot of people cut their lawn far too low and as such puts too much stress on the grass and eventually invites weeds and moss to take hold.

The weather is warm enough to seed so you can make a start on it now if you want.

Man of Honour
Are you cutting your grass at the correct height? I find a lot of people cut their lawn far too low and as such puts too much stress on the grass and eventually invites weeds and moss to take hold.

The weather is warm enough to seed so you can make a start on it now if you want.

No, I don't cut my grass too short, I always do it a little bit longer but do it more often. Height of summer last year, I was doing it twice a week minimum, but that's also because I had lawn treatment on it which made it grow like mad. Unfortunately, where the moss is worst is where it rarely gets any sun and combined with poor soil quality, it just sits really damp in this weather and is probably rotting the roots of the grass

I'm going to wait this windy and wet spell out, then this weekend when it hopefully is a little drier and warmer, I'll get to work with bringing it back to life

Soldato
Our back lawn is absolutely ruined, all this heavy rain has turned it into a muddy bog, especially with dog running around on it. The grass is so bare in the middle of lawn, muddy as hell.

Any tips on how I can get it back to life? I put lawn feed and seeded it last year, but it never took, completely wasted my time. Followed several YouTube videos, done everything as instructed but nothing grew.

Associate
Poor germination rate could be down to several things.

- Poor seed to soil contact
- Seed has not received enough moisture and has dried out
- Seed has received too much water and rotted
- Feasted on by birds
- Extreme soil temps (too cold or too hot)
- The older the seed the lower the chance of germination

Typically the top two are the most common ones where people haven't got it right.

Associate
So here is my garden.

wxpRjmS.jpg

aDXHcff.jpg

HfEUifZ.jpg

7oCj1Oq.jpg

UgqHlf6.jpg

Just spent the last day removing weeds from the patio and the path that runs down the side.

I have no idea where to start with the thing, this is the first chance I have had to get in the garden since I moved here in Jan. II will be sorting a skip out to get rid of all the junk but not being a gardener I have no idea where to even start. :eek:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So here is my garden.

wxpRjmS.jpg

aDXHcff.jpg

HfEUifZ.jpg

7oCj1Oq.jpg

UgqHlf6.jpg

Just spent the last day removing weeds from the patio and the path that runs down the side.

I have no idea where to start with the thing, this is the first chance I have had to get in the garden since I moved here in Jan. II will be sorting a skip out to get rid of all the junk but not being a gardener I have no idea where to even start. :eek:

First thing is cut the grass and pressure washer the patio. Patio may need to be re done at some point, it looks uneven. Chuck out any rubbish and remove weeds.

You can then plan what you want to do with your garden, a good option is to create spaces that allow you to use the garden how you like e.g. raised beds for veggies or more patio areas for sitting, BBQ.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Here's mine today. Things planned:

- Sort out the flower bed on the left, we have some big lavender plants that need removing and some more bark to put down.
- General weeding.
- Pressure washer the path and area in front of shed.
- Properly plant in the raised bed at the front of our main patio.
- Buy a double egg swing chair to go where the 2 seater and table currently are, in front of the summer house.
- Gravel/stones to the right of the path, and sort out the overgrown plants there.
- Buy corner seating area on the main patio area (bottom of the photo out of shot).
- Some more Cretecote on the sleepers.
- Bench to go between the veg planters.
ZO9WJKC.jpg

Here's how the garden looked when we moved in, 2014.

iXS6bm0.jpg

54OLHnI.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
First thing is cut the grass and pressure washer the patio. Patio may need to be re done at some point, it looks uneven. Chuck out any rubbish and remove weeds.

You can then plan what you want to do with your garden, a good option is to create spaces that allow you to use the garden how you like e.g. raised beds for veggies or more patio areas for sitting, BBQ.

The whole lot is uneven. Feels like I am on a trek when I move about. :D

Patio will be redone as you said it is very uneven. Hoping to speak with someone over the weekend about removing a couple of trees. Need to look into a mower but no idea what is any good same with the pressure washer.

Although looking forward to all the hard work.

Back
Top Bottom