Post Your Garden!

Soldato
The view out the kitchen window this morning, a visitor having some breakfast.

embed

As nice as they are, the deer are a bit of pest because they eat anything nice you plant and bring ticks in to the garden. Eat the grass if you're going to eat anything (if it would stop raining for a day I'd cut it).

Soldato
I suppose so :D. At first we were fascinated with them and how close they get to the house but now we just think "another one of those ******* is eating the leaves off the pear tree!".

Caporegime
After cutting back 5 years of overgrown shubbery, we had a chunk of bare soil at the front of the house, so it seemed like a great place to try some micro-clover instead of normal grass.

May 8th, 1 week after dethatching and seeding:
1J1jVE7.jpeg

May 20th:
XOLiCP7.jpeg

June 19th:
7T4WmSs.jpeg

Tomorrow I will give it a first mow on my highest mower setting, happy with how it has turned out.

Associate
Looking for some advice from any of the lawn experts in here. My soil level has settled quite significantly in the few years we've been in our house to the point where I need to build the level back up again, a good 5-10cm in some places. The "lawn" that's there at the moment isn't worth saving as I've neglected it, let it grow too long between cuts and it's now patchy and full of weeds.

I assume that I'll need to remove as many of the weeds as possible to save myself in the long run before just chucking soil over what's left of the grass, or do I need to rip up the old grass as well? Anything else I should do to prepare the ground?

Not looking for a pristine lawn to obsesse over just something level so that is easier to run the mower over. It's only a small area so I'll try and stamp it level to avoid future settling then seed. TYIA

Caporegime
Looking for some advice from any of the lawn experts in here. My soil level has settled quite significantly in the few years we've been in our house to the point where I need to build the level back up again, a good 5-10cm in some places. The "lawn" that's there at the moment isn't worth saving as I've neglected it, let it grow too long between cuts and it's now patchy and full of weeds.

I assume that I'll need to remove as many of the weeds as possible to save myself in the long run before just chucking soil over what's left of the grass, or do I need to rip up the old grass as well? Anything else I should do to prepare the ground?

Not looking for a pristine lawn to obsesse over just something level so that is easier to run the mower over. It's only a small area so I'll try and stamp it level to avoid future settling then seed. TYIA
Might be worth sharing some pics, but from what you've said I would just put some top soil down to level, over seed with grass seed, then tackle weeds as they appear with Verdone / Weedol / whatever it's called these days.

Imo no point in doing a big weed-killing exercise now as the top soil may introduce more weeds, and more will probably grow as you let the grass germinate. You can just kill the weeds once the grass is established (follow guidelines on the weed killer as even if it's lawn friendly, it sometimes isn't kind to newly established grass.

Soldato

What Participant says... If you are going to be putting more than about 4-5cm of soil over the existing ground then anything under will mostly die off. Just make sure you tramp it down (or use a roller) to LIGHTLY compact the soil down and then put more on as required as it will otherwise settle again over time. Only the top 1cm needs to be slightly looser to help with seed establishment. The roots will push through the lower layers fine.

Soldato
Couple more pics:

After a week:

After 3 weeks:

As you can see, setup for automatic drip watering in addition to the regular watering it gets.

Looking great, they are amazing to watch as the fronds unfurl.

Dicksonia Antarctica Reprezent! :D
XFDw5bG.jpeg

The cracking big aliums have had their time, now the aggies are coming out.
ceVJ0qT.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom