post your Linux Rig's specs. pointlessly powerful or amusingly weak ?

Associate

Cheers! ..... I'm still jealous :cool:

Add my rig to the list ... as per Sig really

Phenom II X6 1090T
ASUS M5A99X EVO
8GB Kingston HyperX
GTX280 - cos I'm cheap and don't need a hyper wonderful GPU in my workhorse rig :)
150GB VRaptor - Win 7
320GB Sammy - Mint12/Data

The HP Probook is a new one for me - replaced a old MSI lappy that was busted in a freak accident!! Bored with the Win 7 Pro that came with it already..... so will have to pull the drive and replace it with linux goodness

Last edited:
Associate
Power (Not so powerful):
Intel P4.
2gb ddr ram
Basic socket 478 mobo.
Few hdd's 500gb intotal.
430w corsair vx psu.
Basic case.
Ubuntu server 10.4

Ready for the tip:
Intel Celeron @ 233mhz or 266mhz cant rember.
128mb sdram
Dont know anything about the hdd.
7gb hdd
centos 5 i think not to sure.
200ish w psu.
No case its in a draw.

Soldato
My machine at work is this:

ubuntu 10.04 (lts)
2x quad core xeon @2ghz (E5504)
24gb ram
quadro fx3800

Which is pretty quick. But my friend just got a new machine, and I am super jealous:

ubuntu 11.10
i7-3930K @3.2ghz
128gb ssd
36gb RAM
quadro fx4000

the ssd won't make that much difference as almost nothing except the OS is local, but still... I am jealous of her twelve threads...

Last edited:
Soldato
My machine at work is this:

ubuntu 10.04 (lts)
2x quad core xeon @2ghz (i think E5405s)
24gb ram
quadro fx3800

Which is pretty quick. But my friend just got a new machine, and I am super jealous:

ubuntu 11.10
i7-3930K @3.2ghz
128gb ssd
36gb RAM
quadro fx4000

the ssd won't make that much difference as almost nothing except the OS is local, but still... I am jealous of her twelve threads...

What do you do with all that power, if you dont mind me asking/

Soldato
What do you do with all that power, if you dont mind me asking/

Course not. I said 'at work' in a loose sense. I'm a PhD student in computational biochemistry.

Our workstations are only used for analysis, simulations are run on a cluster in the basement.

By simulations I am referring, usually, to molecular dynamics of receptors.

Associate
Course not. I said 'at work' in a loose sense. I'm a PhD student in computational biochemistry.

Our workstations are only used for analysis, simulations are run on a cluster in the basement.

By simulations I am referring, usually, to molecular dynamics of receptors.

"Cor DM!!!!"

Haven't got a scooby doo what that is,,, but it sounds good! :)

My guess was something along the lines of computer animation !!!

Soldato
Computational drug design is the goal, by modelling and simulating things in the body at an atomic level.

Molecular dynamics is simulating how things (in my case proteins) move over time. You do this basically by represtenting atoms as balls on springs and using Newton's laws of motion, even with this simplification it is very computationally expensive. for example, I simulate 1nanosecond of time (0.000000001 seconds) per day on 8 cores. The Wikipedia page on md is quite good I think.

Associate
Computational drug design is the goal, by modelling and simulating things in the body at an atomic level.

Molecular dynamics is simulating how things (in my case proteins) move over time. You do this basically by represtenting atoms as balls on springs and using Newton's laws of motion, even with this simplification it is very computationally expensive. for example, I simulate 1nanosecond of time (0.000000001 seconds) per day on 8 cores. The Wikipedia page on md is quite good I think.

Fair do's .... thanks for the steer on finding out more about what you do.... to be honest though I've lost the will to live after spending the last 10 hours trying to get a CNC Mill Turn to make a aerospace component without smashing itself into oblivion... lol

Nice high spec linux machines all the same :)

Associate
Not at all

I'm a contractor (mercenary or low life according to which full time staff you talk to) on the production engineering side (CNC - Computer Numerical Control Machines)....ie trying to make something that a mechanical design engineer has dreamed up on a all singing, all dancing CAD package - doh!

Worked in the automotive, marine and oil/nuclear sectors as well (a little F1 stuff). It's factory/shopfloor work :)

Last edited:
Associate
Desktop upgrade

Ubuntu 11.04 however may change it to be lUbuntu as I'm getting to use the lightweight way of doing things like on my laptop which doesn't struggle for power either:

AMD Bulldozer FX-6100@4ghz aircooled
MSI 890FXA-GD65
32gb DDR3 Corsair RAM
ATI HD4890 OC'd
Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Hitachi 1tb SATA2 Mechanical
2x Dell SP2304W

Soldato
Not at all

I'm a contractor (mercenary or low life according to which full time staff you talk to) on the production engineering side (CNC - Computer Numerical Control Machines)....ie trying to make something that a mechanical design engineer has dreamed up on a all singing, all dancing CAD package - doh!

Worked in the automotive, marine and oil/nuclear sectors as well (a little F1 stuff). It's factory/shopfloor work :)

Pretty cool stuff. CNC machines are fun' I used to love them at school. (is was a pro desktop err... Pro...)

Am I the only one running Ubuntu from a USB stick?

Possibly, why would you do this for anything other than testing purposes?

Last edited:
Associate
:: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
:: ASUS Maximus IV
:: 64GB Vengeance (50% RAMdisk)
:: MSI 7970 xFire
:: Seasonic 1KW
:: M4 256GB
:: 150GB WD Raptor
:: 649GB WD Blue
:: 2TB WD Green
:: REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable)]