Post your speed test

Associate
4917800574.png

Weird how it sets my server to London, I am approximately 5 miles from B'ham but if I select that, I get slightly slower speeds and a higher ping :confused:

Associate
Weird how it sets my server to London, I am approximately 5 miles from B'ham but if I select that, I get slightly slower speeds and a higher ping :confused:

Its because all of plusnet is routed through gateways in london. So selecting a different server means the traffic enters the internet in london and then has to travel back to Birmingham.

Soldato
Can anyone suggest why I cannot get a good result from speedtest.net yet I can anywhere else I try?
So for example, I use the BT Wholesale checker and I'm told the connection is 74.9 / 16.8
Go to broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and I get almost identical readings.
Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk slightly lower, but within tolerance.
Run at speedtest.net and I'm told 7mb / 17mb
I change the server, I try one in London, one in Milton Keynes - each time I see 7mb - 10mb for download.
But this is only when using speedtest.net
What is this test doing differently to everything else? Whuch would be considered the most reliable way to check speed?

Ta

Don
Can anyone suggest why I cannot get a good result from speedtest.net yet I can anywhere else I try?
So for example, I use the BT Wholesale checker and I'm told the connection is 74.9 / 16.8
Go to broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and I get almost identical readings.
Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk slightly lower, but within tolerance.
Run at speedtest.net and I'm told 7mb / 17mb
I change the server, I try one in London, one in Milton Keynes - each time I see 7mb - 10mb for download.
But this is only when using speedtest.net
What is this test doing differently to everything else? Whuch would be considered the most reliable way to check speed?

Ta

How are you connected to the router?

Soldato
All wired - well all devices into a NetGear 8prt Gigabit Switch - including the router.
As I said in the other thread, people seem to use speedtest.net as "the" tester to use, but that is the one that gives me through the floor results.
As long as the BT Wholesale tester gives me the kind of results I'm expecting I won't worry.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Stoofa, is this TT 80/20? If so i have the same connection. I do find that the speedtest.net servers vary somewhat, but for example Xilo Maidenhead always shows 76-78/18-19 for me.

Soldato
All wired - well all devices into a NetGear 8prt Gigabit Switch - including the router.
As I said in the other thread, people seem to use speedtest.net as "the" tester to use, but that is the one that gives me through the floor results.
As long as the BT Wholesale tester gives me the kind of results I'm expecting I won't worry.

Are you running QoS or anything? I find that dramatically affects speedtest.net download results with my Netgear R7000.

Soldato
I've just this moment tested against the Maidstone server as suggested above and am now seeing as I would expect.
Things I've learnt:

Browser matters. I'm guessing because its Java based, but Chrome constantly gave me bad test results, below is using Firefox.
Server matters, so not always closest being the best. Peterborough & Milton Keynes consistently gave me slow results.

4931980759.png

Associate
4938742843.png

Virgin Media has finally installed cable in our estate. Having had to live with ADSL2 (around 10Mb) for the last few years this is a welcome change.

Back
Top Bottom