** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Soldato
Essentially yes. And of course WE are the ones who end up suffering. Even though there are legal remedies that are in place to protect us being totally screwed over, most people aren't actually aware of this... and even those that are hardly want to have to endure the whole process, which can be stressful and drawn out... not to mention leaving you without your 'premium' product that you paid a huge amount of money for in the first place. It's not something we should even need to discuss, but here we are. Sad state of affairs really. :(
It is indeed ridiculous...can't believe manufacturers are still getting away with this in 2015...it is not late 90s for crying out loud!

Soldato
Thought I'd ask quickly do you think the Freesync models will easily clock to 100hz? It's just that the G-Sync works fine @100hz yet Freesync @75hz.

Soldato
Thought I'd ask quickly do you think the Freesync models will easily clock to 100hz? It's just that the G-Sync works fine @100hz yet Freesync @75hz.

I very very much doubt it. The details of how the panel in the monitor can reach 100Hz have yet to be revealed far as I know. But it must be something to do with the added Gsync module (which freesync models don't have obvs) that's allowing it to get so high. Can anyone confirm how it's going to hit 100Hz?

Sorry to pile on the negativity, but using this method is another reason to be very wary of this monitor I would think.

Associate
Its not even close to true...The sales of goods act only applies to retailers in the UK (running under UK law)

Thanks for the further explanation. Very clear now! :)

For those asking above, it has been suggested that the G-Sync module is helping them achieve the 100Hz and Linus states in the video - which is in the OP, I think - that he managed to overclock his Freesync panel up to 85Hz.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, EU dude here, don't know a damn about uk laws and retailer's policies but don't you have anything like the 2 weeks of total refund granted if you're unsatisfied of whatever you purchased _online_ ? It takes about 5 minutes (ok let's say 30) to find out if your monitor has some major issue and needs to be returned at the outrageous cost of an insured post.

Anyway, lurking mode on.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The 6 years is from the limitations act, and its time you have to pursue legal action for breach of the contract, it doesn't mean goods have to last for 6 years, and it doesn't mean you can get a refund within that time.

The sales of goods act simply says the goods should last a reasonable time (this time will depend on the goods and the price you pay, cheaper items are not expected to last as long as more expensive ones) and be fit for purpose. And only covers inherent faults (using sub standard parts so it doesn't last as long as it should would be classed as an inherent fault).

However, 6 months after purchase, its upto the consumer to prove the goods had an inherent fault, which you can do via an independent report. If you prove the fault, then the retailer must give you a remedy, either a Refund (which can be partial based on the length of time you've had it), Exchange or repair

This is what i said? Reasonable time you would win hands down in small claims court against the retailer if a £500 Acer monitor kicked the bucket within 5 years. All you need do is prove is was not wear and tear and you get your judgement.

Obviously the retailer will be stubborn until the time you get the above order, Shame them online and then threaten bailiffs to collect the fee. It does happen not very often with computers but 2 years is not something someone should base thier purchase on.

Soldato
completely agree. and people who say they don't understand why viewing angle make a difference if you view it head on also need to understand similar points. on modern screens of these kind of sizes, even if you're viewing the screen head on centrally a TN Film panel will show contrast and tone shifts as you glance towards the sides of the screen, and particularly towards the top and bottom. The viewing angles of TN Film make it very resitrctive in this regard, and the bigger the monitor, the more of a problem it is. IPS type technologies have more stable image quality and far less contrast/tone shift across the panel which is why they are considered better in this regard

Whenever I see people make comments about viewing angles and don't understand why they make a difference I can only assume they've never owned an IPS monitor.

I would really like one of these but I'm going to wait for a few more reviews to come in considering Acer's recent history.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reviews don't really mean jack, I want to see some post on OcUK members who are impartial ;)

I think what you really want to see a good spread of data from different samples, to get an idea of what to expect in the way of QC. And independent reviews from reputable websites such as my own and TFT Central should certainly assist with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think both types of review are very beneficial. And I always check out your site especially PCM2 when I can, for a specific monitor I might be interested in :)

However, I don't think I've ever come across a review of a monitor on your site that mentions chronic backlight bleed, for example, when others on here report a lot of instances. Perhaps the companies make sure that the reviewer samples sent out are tip top. And the rest of us get the random panel lottery of ****ness. Know what I mean?

Man of Honour
I think both types of review are very beneficial. And I always check out your site especially PCM2 when I can, for a specific monitor I might be interested in :)

However, I don't think I've ever come across a review of a monitor on your site that mentions chronic backlight bleed, for example, when others on here report a lot of instances. Perhaps the companies make sure that the reviewer samples sent out are tip top. And the rest of us get the random panel lottery of ****ness. Know what I mean?

maybe they do, but equally you could say that if you had a review sample with massive backlight issues or dead pixels there's no guarantees that the retail stock available would be the same. It would just mean the rest of the testing was even harder to do and therefore migfht skew the other results. By testing a decent sample without QC issues you can at least get a good idea of the screens performance.

You can use the reviews to consider all other aspects of the performance, but quality control aspects like backlight bleed and dead pixels will vary from sample to sample. There isn't really any monitor which is exempt from issues of some sort and results in those areas will vary from one sample to another.

what you want really is a decent review measuring the performance of the screen, and then a general consensus from buyers to give you an idea what the QC and support/warranty/returns process is like.

Soldato

Sometimes I'm sure that is the case, but not always. I've certainly been sent my share of monitors with bad backlight bleed. But I also know how to take photographs in a way that eliminates 'IPS glow' and suchlike and also using correct exposure to show 'bleed' in a representative rather than completely overblown way. That is in stark contrast to the photographs users typically produce. And remember - I haven't reviewed anything from Acer yet (jokes). You should check out my review of the Dell U3415W. Or indeed the P2415Q. Certainly not perfect black uniformity from them!

Soldato
and then a general consensus from buyers to give you an idea what the QC and support/warranty/returns process is like.

From what I've seen and read the general consensus it current QC and support arrangements are pretty poor for many manufacturers, especially when it comes down to qualitative issues such as "backlight bleed".

A 2 year RTB warranty on a premium product cost £1K is inadequate, I won't be buying one with these terms.

Soldato
I think what you really want to see a good spread of data from different samples, to get an idea of what to expect in the way of QC. And independent reviews from reputable websites such as my own and TFT Central should certainly assist with that.

Thats true, but it seems that press samples from some firms have come to the point that the supplier is shipping what amounts to a different monitor in terms of screen quality to retail.

TFT central can do all the screen testing in the world, but if what you receive and the review site receives is different to the degree we currently have, then much of the professional review becomes pointless.

Associate
Thats true, but it seems that press samples from some firms have come to the point that the supplier is shipping what amounts to a different monitor in terms of screen quality to retail.

TFT central can do all the screen testing in the world, but if what you receive and the review site receives is different to the degree we currently have, then much of the professional review becomes pointless.

How could they (on in fact we/you) possibly know if the sample they receive is that much different to those shipped globally? Because someone rage posted about some defect in the internet? So should we count all those who did not rage post? See how it escalates quickly

Soldato
Let's face it, we live in the dark ages of monitors. It's like a 19th Century homeowner bemoaning the poor quality of the very first light-bulbs. I'm sure in 50 years time monitors will be absolutely amazing and all these problems we face today will be mocked by our great grandchildren as they wonder how we ever coped with such shoddy products.

Soldato
Whenever I see people make comments about viewing angles and don't understand why they make a difference I can only assume they've never owned an IPS monitor.

I would really like one of these but I'm going to wait for a few more reviews to come in considering Acer's recent history.

I own both an IPS monitor and a Rog Swift
I am interested in the X34 or the Asus version, but knowing what my IPS is like for dark content in anything other than bright daylight the thought of going back to IPS for gaming fills me with dread

I honestly don't notice colour shift on the swift in normal gaming, about the only thing I use my monitor for that I ever see it is this forum, nothing else I do uses solid blue which is the only time I notice it. My IPS does the same thing in the corners on solid red or purple, so in that respect neither is perfect.
the fact is neither technology gives a perfectly consistent representation of the same colours over the entirety of the screen, whether its blacks, dark colours, bright colours or white, so it really becomes a choice between the lesser of several evils

Last edited:
Soldato
Let's face it, we live in the dark ages of monitors. It's like a 19th Century homeowner bemoaning the poor quality of the very first light-bulbs. I'm sure in 50 years time monitors will be absolutely amazing and all these problems we face today will be mocked by our great grandchildren as they wonder how we ever coped with such shoddy products.

In 50 years we probably wont have monitors

Soldato
You do realise that its only because of the completely custom controller that it can do 100hz right? Left to their own devices, the monitor makers wouldn't bother commissioning a controller capable of 100hz at all, at least this way we get some choice.

I'm more on about in general the whole making a monitor work with only a certain Card just needs to die. Its one of the stupidest things.

Its nice to have choice but I'm sure most will agree being locked to something is never a good thing. A monitor this expensive is something your most likely going to keep for a long time and your going to be locked to Nvidia cards if you want to make use of it properly.

It wont be long until theres Freesync 100+hz and higher ones yes I know but its still a silly practise.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Hello gibbo if I pre-ordered this monitor now would it be shipped on release and also when would my money come out when the item is dispatched ?

Back
Top Bottom