** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Soldato
I'm a patient man - good things come to those who wait.

I think you bought the wrong brand of monitor then :p
Just seen your 2 posts count. I think you should read some of the Acer threads pretty sharpish. To assist I think this post sums up the current mood about Acer monitors the best

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28466107&postcount=1741

Acer "the worlds first IPS turkey" followed by "Potentially the next best expensive turkey on the market"

Last edited:
Associate
Just seen your 2 posts count. I think you should read some of the Acer threads pretty sharpish.

Don't worry I have been lurking for quite a long time, especially in the monitor threads for the last couple of months, read all the love people have been giving Acer. I am aiming to be one of those consumers without any issues but if I receive a less then perfect monitor I wont be completely surprised.

I just hope that cause they have upped the build quality on these as opposed to the budget looking XB270HU (I know the panel rocks though) they will up the quality control. Who knows!

Well if it does end up being garbage then at least that will give the ROG SWIFT PG279Q time to be released and I might go for that.

Associate
Wow, that G-sync monitor is almost the dream monitor. except 2 or 3 small (or big) annoyances.

1) 100Hz? Well at least it's better than 60Hz and I guess it's easier for games to maintain a solid 100fps rather than 120fps, depending the game/settings/hardware.

2) Just one HDMI port? It's better than no HDMI ports at all like some of the non-widescreen G-sync monitors. But it's potentially annoying for some. Would be for me if I hadn't bought a HDMI splitter a few months back.

3) The price. A person could by a Titan X and an unlocked i5 CPU for that price. Or a 980ti, a nice i7 and a good deal of RAM. One of the biggest reasons why I'm sticking with my 1080p monitor for now is the cost of these monitors. Even the (good) non-ultra wide ones are too pricey for my taste, whether I can afford it or not.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is an error or not, but audio ports weren't mentioned in the OP, despite the mention that this monitor has speakers. I've never heard of someone getting sound out through their graphics card via a single HDMI.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Wow, that G-sync monitor is almost the dream monitor. except 2 or 3 small (or big) annoyances.

1) 100Hz? Well at least it's better than 60Hz and I guess it's easier for games to maintain a solid 100fps rather than 120fps, depending the game/settings/hardware.

2) Just one HDMI port? It's better than no HDMI ports at all like some of the non-widescreen G-sync monitors. But it's potentially annoying for some. Would be for me if I hadn't bought a HDMI splitter a few months back.

3) The price. A person could by a Titan X and an unlocked i5 CPU for that price. Or a 980ti, a nice i7 and a good deal of RAM. One of the biggest reasons why I'm sticking with my 1080p monitor for now is the cost of these monitors. Even the (good) non-ultra wide ones are too pricey for my taste, whether I can afford it or not.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is an error or not, but audio ports weren't mentioned in the OP, despite the mention that this monitor has speakers. I've never heard of someone getting sound out through their graphics card via a single HDMI.

you can get sound straight down a hdmi I believe

Soldato
Who buys a setup like this and uses the onboard speakers:o

Me :D

I've pre-ordered one for my to-be-built-this-week new machine, with all kinds of goodies (980Ti SLI, X99 Deluxe, 5930K).

The onboard speakers only need to produce good-enough audio for YouTube etc, nothing more. For gaming, I'll need to invest in a decent USB DAC and some headphones instead. Don't really see much point in spending similar money on a set of large, mediocre speakers.

Soldato
People I think you have found your guinea pig.
Absolutely, I'll admit that. I'm fully aware of the issues with the XB270HU, however I'm still willing to take the risk. Why? Quite frankly I've been through enough monitors over the years with issues that I'm beyond caring anymore. As you said yourself in another thread, there are no "good" monitor manufacturers. Most recent were two Dell U2515Hs, first whined, second had a weird shadow effect that resulted in a band down the entire display.

I'm not holding any expectations or delusions, however if you can get a good one, it'll essentially be the perfect monitor.

Last edited:

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Absolutely, I'll admit that. I'm fully aware of the issues with the XB270HU, however I'm still willing to take the risk. Why? Quite frankly I've been through enough monitors over the years with issues that I'm beyond caring anymore. As you said yourself in another thread, there are no "good" monitor manufacturers. Most recent were two Dell U2515Hs, first whined, second had a weird shadow effect that resulted in a band down the entire display.

I'm not holding any expectations or delusions, however if you can get a good one, it'll essentially be the perfect monitor.

This is my thoughts on it as well I've bought loads of different sorts including 21:9 @ 29" was just too small, loved gsync but 1080 @ 27" was too blocky benq xl27 colours was just too washed out. hopefully this will be where its at :D

P.B

P.B

Soldato
That's a shame was looking at that for my next TV. is there any release info on when it would be put I'm hoping end of September early October or am I hoping to much lol

Soldato
Something that has been picked up in the latest video for the X34 has me wondering... see at the 0:35 mark, it says "overclock to 100Hz", with the digital readout running upwards from 60Hz.

In addition, the official Acer website states "boost your refresh rate up to 100Hz with built-in overclocking."

Does this all sound like it's some kind of manual OC that's required to get it to reach 100Hz, and that it perhaps may not even be guaranteed? I always thought, and was led to believe, that although this was originally the same 60Hz panel as seen in the Dell/LG curved monitors, it would run @ 100Hz natively thanks to the G-Sync technology enabling it to run that high... but this language from Acer seems rather nebulous to me, and has me slightly concerned. Any thoughts on this?

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom