** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Man of Honour
Sometimes I'm sure that is the case, but not always. I've certainly been sent my share of monitors with bad backlight bleed. But I also know how to take photographs in a way that eliminates 'IPS glow' and suchlike and also using correct exposure to show 'bleed' in a representative rather than completely overblown way. That is in stark contrast to the photographs users typically produce. And remember - I haven't reviewed anything from Acer yet (jokes). You should check out my review of the Dell U3415W. Or indeed the P2415Q. Certainly not perfect black uniformity from them!

yes thats a good point, knowing how to eliminate panel characteristics like IPS glow is a key here as so much of what you see touted as backlight bleed is actually not backlight bleed at all.

I too have tested many monitors over the years with backlight bleed and with dead pixels. it would almost be worth not even including a backlight bleed test or comment on QC issues like that in a review as it can vary so much. personally i do it for completeness.

Thats true, but it seems that press samples from some firms have come to the point that the supplier is shipping what amounts to a different monitor in terms of screen quality to retail.

TFT central can do all the screen testing in the world, but if what you receive and the review site receives is different to the degree we currently have, then much of the professional review becomes pointless.

not at all. We are talking here about two issues - dead pixels and backlight bleed. how does that result in every other test and analysis of a screen being pointless? user comments online will almost always only be very subjective comments at best, and quality control results about dead pixels and bleed. Proper reviews will analyse everything else - brightness range, backlight control, PWM, contrast ratio, default setup, calibration results, response times, lag, viewing angles, scaling, examine the build, design, functions, stand, OSD menu, extras....etc

for what it's worth, many of the screens i personally test are not cherry picked press samples. The Acer XB270HU, XG270HU and XR341CK i tested were all brand new, unopened sealed boxes straight off the production line. Acer had them shipped to me direct from production as opposed to being shipped to their press office, checked and then assigned out to me. Acer actually work a little different to other manufacturers who have a third party PR team who circulate review samples around various places. They dont have such a team in the UK. when i speak to Acer i talk directly to the product manager, and any samples sent to me are sent from production. I had the Acer models well ahead of any retail stock and like i say, brand new and unopened units. so they had no way to tell if it was a "good" or "bad" unit i was being sent.

The same goes for quite a few screens actually. if you're the very first to see a screen and test it, they often come like this before anyone else has even used them.

All the Dell screens i test come straight from random retail stock as well, just sent to me out of the current batch the company i get them from are selling to customers. so again, not checked or hand picked.

Man of Honour
linus said he could only achieve 85hz max

and that will almost certainly be with frame skipping, he didnt check that.

The freeSync XR341CK model can manage 75Hz without frame skipping from AMD cards. we had problems with anything about 60Hz from an NVIDIA card and i've had other people report the same to me as well. The G-sync model is supposed to support up to 100Hz although no one has tested it yet

Mobster
Soldato
Looks awesome in the Linus review. It's got great spec, but curved ? The biggest fad ever invented. If this wasnt Acer and curved, I'd have seriously thought about it.

Associate
Well, this is damn near my perfect monitor, and now the only thing keeping me from slapping my cash down on OC's digital counter is that price, phew-boy, ill need some time to prepare myself...

Yeah its Acer and the warranty is alittle short but well, ill live.

Associate
Looks awesome in the Linus review. It's got great spec, but curved ? The biggest fad ever invented. If this wasnt Acer and curved, I'd have seriously thought about it.

I can only assume you haven't used a 34" 21:9 flat monitor before.

For a normal TV in a living room, yes I agree it's a fad, but for these monitors it's definitely beneficial.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Amazed at these prices when bigger and higher res screens are almost half the price!

Talk about ripping us all off.

Its more of a niche product they don't have the same work productivity these are purely gaming product hence smaller demand higher price to cover R&D costs

Back
Top Bottom