Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Wanting a new drill and impact driver for when we move house soon. Looking at the following: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...combi-drill-and-impact-driver-twin-pack/210hf

Anything else to look at or consider? I've got an electric drill for any of the heavier masonry jobs, but not planning on anything too serious anyway.

Also any decent drill bit sets to look out for? Definitely in need of some new masonry bits.

Associate
Wanting a new drill and impact driver for when we move house soon. Looking at the following: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...combi-drill-and-impact-driver-twin-pack/210hf

Anything else to look at or consider? I've got an electric drill for any of the heavier masonry jobs, but not planning on anything too serious anyway.

Also any decent drill bit sets to look out for? Definitely in need of some new masonry bits.

Generally can't fault the quality of Dewalt tools, especially for DIY. I've used them at work and they've had some abuse by the team over the years, dropped from heights etc and they still go strong. I own a similar set to what you've linked for home use. You won't get a huge amount done with 2ah batteries but if its just for putting up the odd curtain rail etc, you'll be fine.

As for drill bits, I recently bought these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-hex-shank-multi-construction-drill-bit-set-5-piece-set/8672p

Granted, they are only sizes 5.5, 6, 7 & 8mm but again, for use around the home they can take some abuse.

Soldato
I’ve always found the Bosch SDS masonry bits to last long enough to warrant spending the extra money over the usual store brand stuff.

For regular masonry bits, go with whatever the best deal you get on a set of 5/6/7/8 mm bits as you can’t be precious with them and bin them the moment they lose their edge. This is usually closely related to hitting a lintel or other hidden metalwork.

Soldato
Generally can't fault the quality of Dewalt tools, especially for DIY. I've used them at work and they've had some abuse by the team over the years, dropped from heights etc and they still go strong. I own a similar set to what you've linked for home use. You won't get a huge amount done with 2ah batteries but if its just for putting up the odd curtain rail etc, you'll be fine.

I'd disagree, i'd say 2ah are perfect for a drill/impact driver. Especially when you always have a spare available. That's a hell of a lot of drilling/screwing for around the house. I mainly use my 1.5ah/2ah batteries for those tools because of the weight and lack of bulk. The 4/5ah ones get reserved for the multitool and circular saw.

Soldato
I'd disagree, i'd say 2ah are perfect for a drill/impact driver. Especially when you always have a spare available. That's a hell of a lot of drilling/screwing for around the house. I mainly use my 1.5ah/2ah batteries for those tools because of the weight and lack of bulk. The 4/5ah ones get reserved for the multitool and circular saw.

Indeed. For me also the 2ah is perfect for DIY for both drill/impact and can do so much more than putting a curtain tail up. That's an over exaggeration by a long stretch.

Soldato
Brilliant thanks guys, have ordered one :) I'm fairly sure the 2aH will be plenty of capacity for what I'm doing. Moving to a fairly new build so it's not like I'll be doing full on renovations.

My Bosch drill let out some smoke last time I used it and despite still working fine afterwards, I don't trust it not to die on me now. My current impact driver is a TackLife one, despite being impressed by a lot of their other stuff, the impact driver really isn't up to the job.

Soldato
Does anyone have experience of the smaller dewalt drill. I've got the multi with hammer (DCD778) but it can be a bit bulky when operating in smaller spaces. Think it's the 777 I was looking at yesterday on screwfix, but wondering if there are other options I should be looking at? Thinking of grabbing a 2ah battery as I've currently got 4s.

Associate
For the majority of internal domestic work I tend to use the Bosch Blue 12v range. Very light, very compact and is more than adequate for most household chores. The difference in weight is noticeable when working above shoulder height.

Associate
Sorry would like to keep within the Dewalt ecosystem.

Those were my thoughts then an installation engineer let me play with his 12v stuff. So I then looked at Dewalt 12v (as I have other dewalt tools) but 12v is a different ecoystem, and Bosch blue 12v is light years better than DeWalt 12v. So I bought some Bosch Blue and transplanted into a TStak Case (as I use TStak and trolley) and have not regretted it at all.

Associate
Any recommendations on bench grinders?

Been looking at them and would like something that I can buy attachments for, a flexible shaft attachment, a belt sander, polishing wheel etc but I’m not having much success. None of them say ‘compatible with…’ they either have a belt sander or flexi attachment already or they don’t.
Would like a larger wheel if possible (150mm say), in my mind that presents more flexibility and power.
Anyone got one and bought ‘add-ons’?

Associate
looks like i'm going to have a lot of bricks to cut at an angle in the near future, probably in the region of 200 (400 cuts) so i'm not planning to do it by hand.

if i'm going to use a chop saw, anyone got any advice on what i'll need (blade, power etc) I don't fancy using my angle grinder for that many, and they won't end up precise enough...

Soldato
looks like i'm going to have a lot of bricks to cut at an angle in the near future, probably in the region of 200 (400 cuts) so i'm not planning to do it by hand.

if i'm going to use a chop saw, anyone got any advice on what i'll need (blade, power etc) I don't fancy using my angle grinder for that many, and they won't end up precise enough...

My brickie did our pond (this has IIRC 12-14 courses with 10 corners, 6 non-90, with a 9" grinder. That's 140 cuts (actually I think closer to 280 given both bricks on the joint would need attention).

Dust and noise will be something you want to consider..A dry bench saw will simply make the surrounding area like a snow scene. A wet cutter will help immensely.

Associate
Yeah, I do have a grinder but it’s a lot of bricks…. Maybe I just need to get on and start doing some. I’m somewhat wary of repetitive jobs like this would be.

Soldato
Yeah, I do have a grinder but it’s a lot of bricks…. Maybe I just need to get on and start doing some. I’m somewhat wary of repetitive jobs like this would be.

Mask, ear protectors and goggles.. just one cutting was enough to send my lungs into burn down.. and I was down the garden at the time.. the brickie said he didn't use any after 30 years in the trade (all the damage already done).

Associate
And gloves…

live found one in wickes looks like it will do the job, and I have an ancient vax…. Just need to check it is ‘compatible’ with the hoover as it has a dust collector.

Back
Top Bottom