Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Caporegime
Aldi specials etc are pretty lame in my experience. Stuggle to hammer drill anything hard so if you have a old house with proper walls I would definitely spend a bit more.

the 996 is probably an overkill for home use. I just bought one but the 796 was fine and with the 2Ah batteries is much lighter. I did a loft boarding and then drill never ran out in a days use. Very impressive.
In March the Dewalt power stack batteries are out too. Might be worth waiting for them. (Pouch rather than cell technology)

Caporegime
I cheaped out and went black and decker.

I don't use power tools much so I doubt any real difference will be realised by paying more.

Battery chainsaw for example. Used it twice. Possible might never use it again. (fallen tree and dead tree)

Soldato
You could half that budget and get something from de Walt, Makita or Milwaukee and you’ll be fine.

personally I’d just get 18V because the batteries are compatible with a far wider range of tools you may want in the future. Like an impact driver or a hedge trimmer or something.

Likewise if it’s really just for light bits of DIY, just get an Aldi/Lidl special and be done with it. For the price they are good value.

If I had £300 to spend I'd probably get a driver drill and an impact. For many jobs it's easier to have two tools, usually one for drilling and one for screwing. Changing the bits over can get very boring.

Soldato
Was unexpectedly given an interesting gadget from the late father-in-law - a HSS drill bit sharpener machine.
Looking forward to having a sharp bits again!!

Caporegime
Just wondering if I get get away without buying a mitre saw for bathroom renovations.

I have a circular saw, mitre block, reciprocating saw, oscillating multi tool, but not a mitre saw.

I'm mainly thinking about cutting stud timber square but then I can use a square and the circular saw for that? And for tile trim mitres I can use the hacksaw and a mitre box, assuming I can get the finish neat.

Soldato
Was unexpectedly given an interesting gadget from the late father-in-law - a HSS drill bit sharpener machine.
Looking forward to having a sharp bits again!!
Had one of these 25+years ago
Good luck with that,i never got a `satisfactory` sharp drill using it
I got a better result with a bench grinder with a groove in the toolrest

Soldato
I'm mainly thinking about cutting stud timber square but then I can use a square and the circular saw for that?

Handsaw is all you need.

And for tile trim mitres I can use the hacksaw and a mitre box, assuming I can get the finish neat.

Yep, that will be fine, you can also buy corners and do away with the faff of mitring entirely.

Soldato
I don’t think you need a mitre saw for a few cuts.

Buy the trims from wherever, they are just little strips of metal at the end of the day and most places just seem to stock the one brand anyway.

Soldato
Personally i would avoid metal trims
UNLESS you can find external corners for them.mitring metal trims leave a very sharp pointy end and you will have to file it off to avoid a nasty cut or worse even lose an eye!

Caporegime
Next on the list is an impact driver. Do people consider these worth it? I already have a combi drill / screwdriver and a dedicated electric screwdriver, but neither is perfect at the job.

£140 to stay yellow though :(.

Soldato
Next on the list is an impact driver. Do people consider these worth it? I already have a combi drill / screwdriver and a dedicated electric screwdriver, but neither is perfect at the job.

I wish I'd got my impact driver years ago, so much better than a combi drill, less slippage on screw heads and less fatigue on your hands.
By yellow do you mean DeWalt if so why £140 they're about £70 presume you only need the unit not one with a battery.

Soldato

Impact driver can work as a normal screw driver but replaces the situation where you'd traditionally drill and screw in for the deeper screws. For basic home DIY I would say that most of the time you're not using the impact side of it. If you're doing large wood pieces - such as decking, boarding etc then they're an absolute godsend. So far I've resisted getting one.. if it's a screwing into predrilled raw plugs then it's not going to make much difference.

Caporegime
I wish I'd got my impact driver years ago, so much better than a combi drill, less slippage on screw heads and less fatigue on your hands.
By yellow do you mean DeWalt if so why £140 they're about £70 presume you only need the unit not one with a battery.
Yes I mean DeWalt and the XR batteries I already have are 4A ones, so I was thinking get the bundle with the smaller / lighter 2A ones, more suitable for a screwdriver.

I have lots of studs and concrete to drill into in the near future so it sounds like it's worth getting one.

Associate
Well worth the money. I use my impact an awful lot more than I ever thought I would and wished I'd bought one years ago too.
The 2A batteries do come in handy if you've got a fair bit of overhead work to do.

Back
Top Bottom