Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Caporegime
Well worth the money. I use my impact an awful lot more than I ever thought I would and wished I'd bought one years ago too.
The 2A batteries do come in handy if you've got a fair bit of overhead work to do.

Dammit I just bought one from Screwfix with a 2Ah battery and a 10% discount voucher I had.

Just tried it and it immediately released a stuck drill arbor I've been trying to get off a hole saw.

Wait for powerstack batteries before getting new ones. The 887 driver body only is often on offer

They look good. Also expensive.

Caporegime
Just got a Dewalt 899H impact gun for car stuff. Bit of an impulsive buy but had some vouchers so why not. Feels a beast and want to test it out !

Last edited:
Associate
Bought a second hand Bosch sde 8 mitre saw for some summer projects.

Been using a circular saw a lot recently but want to be able to get concitent and accurate cuts.

At this rate I'll need to make an outbuilding for my tool collection, which may need some additional tools to aid with the construction. :D

Soldato
Bought a second hand Bosch sde 8 mitre saw for some summer projects.

Been using a circular saw a lot recently but want to be able to get concitent and accurate cuts.

At this rate I'll need to make an outbuilding for my tool collection, which may need some additional tools to aid with the construction. :D

It never ends! :D

If you need a degree of accuracy I would recommend using or getting an engineers square to check squarness of the blade, base and fence.

For angled cuts (assuming you have bevel ability) the magnetic base digital angle gauges are brilliant.

Soldato
It never ends! :D

If you need a degree of accuracy I would recommend using or getting an engineers square to check squarness of the blade, base and fence.

For angled cuts (assuming you have bevel ability) the magnetic base digital angle gauges are brilliant.

Agreed.

I turned my circular saw into a saw bench, I use a clamped metal spirit level as a fence/guide and then built a shuttle with a clamp to allow really accurate cuts. I did the same with the router. This allows me to cut shavings off in terms of accuracy repeatably - then the router works even better than before.

A fence is really a must given the kick out that most tools can give when handling materials.

The only issue with my DIY approach to making the tools is it takes more time as it doesn't have millimetre markings etc so the cuts are all line of sight prepared with the blade static.

You'll want a square, a set of callipers and above all a decent vacuum. I have a simple metal HEPA Numatic vacuum like this: https://www.axminstertools.com/numatic-nqs350b-21-vacuum-cleaner-508331 that I use with a hose adaptor on the power tools. :eek: over £400 now and that says 580W. Mine says 1080W and it was nowhere near £400 at the time. Has an extra benefit of the pipe attaches to the exhaust too to act like a blower - great for getting a BBQ running in 5 minutes!

Soldato
Chasing cables in to concrete walls - would you use a dedicated chaser or an angle grinder and hope for the best?

I'm contemplating buying a chaser given the amount I need to do and the time it'll save by cutting two perfectly parallel lines, and to a set depth too.

Back
Top Bottom