Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
I have quite the suite of 18v Makita tools, from various DIY tasks since my first house:
I recently inventoried mine in order:

Multi-Drill
Impact driver
36v Mower
LED Lamp
Hoover
Multi tool
Hedge trimmer
Circular saw (BL)
Orbit sander
Multi-Drill (BL)
1/2 inch Impact driver
3kg SDS drill
Strimmer
Angle grinder
Blower
Router (BL)
Planer

Aside from the drills, the mower, multi tool, circular saw and orbit sander see the most use.
I've yet to come across a bad makita tool!

Also have:
8x 3.0 amp batteries
2x 5.0 ah batteries
2x 1.5 ah batteries
3x chargers (single)

My next purchase will likely be an 18v jigsaw as currently have a corded bosch..
I'd like a chop saw but realistically don't have the space and managed most jobs with circular saw and a set square.

I recently discovered 'badaptors' which allows me to use my makita batteries into ryobi (other brands available if you so choose).
Although the tools share the same voltage I was sceptical so make a habit of only using my older batteries (i number them), has been working flawlessly thus far.

I've then purchased:
ryobi 16g nailer (at least £200 cheaper than makita nearest equivalent)
ryobi patio cleaner (makita don't make one!)
ryobi polisher (yet to use)

Associate
Hi. Can anyone give recommendations for a long reach hedge trimmer?
Not sure whether to buy a budget model. Seen one by VonHaus that seems to get decent reviews for under £100.
Worth paying extra for Bosch etc?
Needs to be battery due to location of use.

Primarily for trimming low hanging thin branches on trees that hang over footpath.

The Makita DUN500WRTE is superb. It uses a single 18v battery that will last (5ah) up to an hour and folds. It will easily deal with 1cm stems.

Soldato
Hi. Can anyone give recommendations for a long reach hedge trimmer?
Not sure whether to buy a budget model. Seen one by VonHaus that seems to get decent reviews for under £100.
Worth paying extra for Bosch etc?
Needs to be battery due to location of use.

Primarily for trimming low hanging thin branches on trees that hang over footpath.

In most cases, a pole trimmer doesn't give you all that much more reach. It may look like it does, but you are often better off just using that ladder you already own.

I bought a DeWalt pole trimmer because I already owned tons of their batteries. It would have been pretty much a waste of money except you can also buy extension poles to take it up another 4' - which is beyond the reach of me, a standard trimmer, and my ladder. Having said that, it is cumbersome at that length and you have to take extreme care with it. Quite easy to trim one of the kids arms off.

The VonHaus looks pretty good. The battery looks small, though. Having said that, I rarely use more than one 2ah to clip my entire hedge.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Thank you for the comments and feedback for the hedge trimmer.
@SpellowHouse must admit after I looked at a few more online started to think the same to a degree.
Probably best to physically see them, but just wanted feedback first before I jump in.

Stihl are nice, but not sure if I would use it enough for that sort of outlay. Then again it should last.

Associate
If anyone has seen a Makita 40v hedge trimmer for a great price then link up!

I got my 40v strimmer for £220 with a free battery... sold the battery for £60 so total price for bare tool was £160.

A deal like that with a hedge trimmer would be cool cos all I see is £260+ for bare tool.

Soldato
I’m left handed but I can and do use both hands for this kind of thing without issue, that is probably why I don’t even think about it. I suspect you are overthinking it.

P.s. if the saw isn’t well supported by the wood, cut from the other side. Clamp the workpiece down if you don’t want to operate the saw with your left hand.

Totally agree on the 'overthinking' and he states it does matter I think and ends with video's show a 50/50 split :cry::cry:

I'm right with a 90% left (all sports, but writing isn't perfect) and am happy with either.

Soldato
Thanks and I just noticed I wasn't comparing like for like anyway, the Ryobi I was looking at isn't brushless whereas the DeWalt is. If I'm buying cordless tools I want brushless tools, as I've already made sure my drill, impact driver and multitool were all the brushless kind.

So the brushless Ryobi is actually much more expensive.

Another thing on circular saws - I'm thinking a right bladed model is best and am struggling to change my mind on that but there seems to be a lot of support for left blade designs. Which do you all have?

These days I would not buy a circular saw unless it is a track type. It doesn't have to be a plunge saw and it doesn't have to come with a track, but the ability to buy and fit a track is worth it's weight in gold. (I think the one I got was a DeWALT DWE576K).
I buy all my sheet wood in 8x4 now and cut it down. A track saw can easily manage that with incredible accuracy. To cut it, I have a saw table (I made mine, but it could be anything) with sacrificial ribs on the table that support the wood so there is no "unsupported" edge.

Last edited:
Associate
I got a dewalt combi drill last year I think mine cost me about 140 or 150 and came with 2 batteries and the case. been trying to keep a eye out for other tools that dont include the battery to make use of the spare. I only use mine for small jobs so I dont need the 2

Soldato
I've seen builders on YouTube using this but I have no idea what it is.

It's like a stop collar for your impact driver bits, so that you can't overscrew.

Anyone know what this is and have a link?

Is this what you mean::

Soldato
Soldato
Maybe. Does the screw head sit almost within the unit itself?

I've not used one but I did consider one a while back.

I think photo 10 shows it above, how you set the depth/limit

Don
Is it not just a bit holder with retracting collar to hold the screw for you e.g.

Soldato

It's like a stop collar for your impact driver bits, so that you can't overscrew.

Isn’t overscrew down to your toque settings. Any powerful driver or drill will put that bit into the material you are screwing.

Soldato

The idea is that you don't need to hold the screw with your right hand when you are starting it off. Especially with modern screws that are self-drilling, this can hurt/damage your fingers.

The holder has a magnet to hold the screw. But you probably know that if you rely on just a magnet, the screw has a habit of starting to wobble and flying off when you are trying to start it off. To stop that wobble, the bit holder has a sleeve that you manually slide out to cover the screw. As it's screwed in, the barrel is pushed back by the holder being driver forward, ready for the next screw.

Because you can't see the screw head, it's best used with a clutch.

Soldato
The idea is that you don't need to hold the screw with your right hand when you are starting it off. Especially with modern screws that are self-drilling, this can hurt/damage your fingers.

The holder has a magnet to hold the screw. But you probably know that if you rely on just a magnet, the screw has a habit of starting to wobble and flying off when you are trying to start it off. To stop that wobble, the bit holder has a sleeve that you manually slide out to cover the screw. As it's screwed in, the barrel is pushed back by the holder being driver forward, ready for the next screw.

Because you can't see the screw head, it's best used with a clutch.

Do you have a link for this thing, or is it what was posted above?

If not I'll try to find a screenshot of it. I've seen quite a few YouTube channels use them including properdiy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom