Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Caporegime
Am after some recommendations on an SDS drill. Mine has unfortunately reached the end of its road, it's some no brand jobby from Brico Depot in France but it was, quite frankly, superb. Anyway, somethings gone and its not repairable.

Looking at Makitas, and trying to decide between a cordless/corded one (looking at the HR2630 and the DHR242z. I've got a number of LXT batteries so would be ok to power those, but naturally the corded delivers more energy at impact. Also I do a fair bit of work on a ladder so cordfree is attractive. I've got quite a lot of work coming up that will require punching a lot of holes as well (fitting bathrooms and a kitchen), and I've never used anything this powerful cordless.

Soldato
Hmm - i like accuracy (bosch) over braun (titan) so.. SDS 40th present to myself was a 850W SDS bosch 2Kg class corded... awesome

Closest that SF stock now is this 790W 3.2J version: http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gbh-2-28-corded-sds-plus-drill-110v/7702r

Mine IIRC from a different site: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p7...=77427&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhMjKBRDjxb31j-aesI4BEiQA

If right then mine is 3.2J .. powerful enough for most thing although cutting concrete with a blade may be out of scope.. it's certainly enough oomph for putting cable holes in concrete and coring house walls!

Last edited:
Soldato
Am after some recommendations on an SDS drill. Mine has unfortunately reached the end of its road, it's some no brand jobby from Brico Depot in France but it was, quite frankly, superb. Anyway, somethings gone and its not repairable.

Looking at Makitas, and trying to decide between a cordless/corded one (looking at the HR2630 and the DHR242z. I've got a number of LXT batteries so would be ok to power those, but naturally the corded delivers more energy at impact. Also I do a fair bit of work on a ladder so cordfree is attractive. I've got quite a lot of work coming up that will require punching a lot of holes as well (fitting bathrooms and a kitchen), and I've never used anything this powerful cordless.

If you go cordless these are very good and light weight although expensive. - I had the old 24v Ni-mh one and was heavy up a ladder - I used one of these once and was superb

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-gbh...ion-sds-plus-rotary-hammer-drill-2-x-2-p71674

Caporegime
Cheers for the suggestions - if I do go cordless I'm kind of wanting to stick to Makita as I have the batteries already.

Looks like for cordless to match the power of corded you need to go to the next price level then I was looking at. Thanks for the suggestions - will keep looking!

Soldato
when I needed a new SDS I bought a second hand hardly used bosh gbh for £30, he had around £200 worth of new bosch bits he said he'll give me for £10 if I buy the drill, so it was worth it for the bits alone. decided to try it out and fit an outdoor tap and wow... . wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one should this ever bust, weight is subjective to the person but I don't find it that heavy either.

Soldato
when I needed a new SDS I bought a second hand hardly used bosh gbh for £30, he had around £200 worth of new bosch bits he said he'll give me for £10 if I buy the drill, so it was worth it for the bits alone. decided to try it out and fit an outdoor tap and wow... . wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one should this ever bust, weight is subjective to the person but I don't find it that heavy either.

Great deal, how on earth did you manage that?!

Soldato
I got lucky! the bits wasn't advertised, he only mentioned it when I messaged him saying I was interested in the drill. enough 7 and 10mm bits to last a life time , plus other sizes aswell

Soldato
Nice one. I could do with an SDS. I need to install an external tap. Not sure if my Hitachi combi drill will be up to it though.

Any had any experience with drilling through walls with a combi? :p

Soldato
Nice one. I could do with an SDS. I need to install an external tap. Not sure if my Hitachi combi drill will be up to it though.

Any had any experience with drilling through walls with a combi? :p

Yes. I'd rather not have done it :).
Having bought a Dewalt Combi for general purpose with the excuse to the wife that it would get used around the house, I've just been out to buy a £50 corded SDS hammer drill for those occasions when I don't want to wreck the Dewalt.

B&Q have this one for £52 at the moment...

http://www.diy.com/departments/mac-...us-rotary-hammer-drill-msrh1200/592532_BQ.prd

Soldato
I need to lay a block wall for a lean to workshop. I have a bout 120 blocks to lay and a friend suggested for that volume of mortar I'd want a cement mixer. Now I'm torn between renting, buying second hand and buying new. If I rent I'll probably end up needing it a week so £24 or so if I can collect, which depends on mixer size. I can buy from £80 to £130 locally on Gum Tree but they are often old trade jobs look a bit ropey but probably serviceable or buy a small Clarke unit for £200 and can definitely collect. Now If I rent jobs done fixed price but if there are delays, such as whether suddenly your at £48 quid. If I buy second hand I can always resell it but run the risk it dies on me. Buy new costs more but I'll have a guarantee and I can sell it one for a reasonable price maybe only costing me what 2 weeks hire would have cost me.

Any one care to offer an opinion on the way forward, I'm expecting to mix 5m³ for this job.

Soldato
It's funny you posted that I was thinking the same thing myself. That was how much I used for slab. Must have been a brain fart. I'll re calculate later I'm thinking it must be more like 0.15m3

Caporegime
Incidentally, I'm leaning towards http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mak...rotary-hammer-body-only-in-makpac-type-4-case, and buy one or a couple of spare 4Ah batteries.

However, I've been reading that using chisel action is a quick route to damaged batteries, so now am in two minds as to whether its worth the risk and I should just go corded, as I'll definitely need to use the chisel action in the near future.

Soldato
Having bought B&Qs MacAllister in the past, I won't ever again. It's really poor quality stuff.
Oh really? That's not good. What tools were yours? I was given to believe hammer drills were somewhere where you could buy cheap and abuse. Think it comes with a 2 year warranty (so that'll cover me for about 2 or 3 projects :rolleyes:).

Caporegime
I'd be interested in knowing that actually as was planning on buying the Dewalt 18v version at some point but the main reason would be the chisel action, as my combi drills most things i need.
Ok well I spoke to someone at Toolstop and they said the only problem they had encountered with chiselling is that it runs the batteries down. Fast. So make sure you have one on charge - I guess this may have been a problem before the current generation of batteries came along as constantly draining the older tech would shorten battery life. Shouldn't be a problem with the newer Li-on batteries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom