Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Sorting out my decking at the moment and need something to cut down some new decking boards to size. Been looking at getting a mitre saw for the job. Nothing close by on eBay second hand at the moment. What recommendations do people have in terms of brands? Are Evolution good?

Soldato
Yeah Evolution are decent I had the smaller version and recently bought the bigger Rage 3 255mm version. Check out their Ebay outlet store.

Otherwise try local facebook tool groups as i see quite a few.

EDIT - What width are your boards as that will dictate the blade size you need. I used to hate having to flip my wood to cut from either side with me old one.

Associate
I have a RAGE1B circular saw, a RAGE7-S jigsaw and I have just purchased a R210CMS mitre saw. I have yet to use the mitre saw, but the other two saws are brilliant. I would definitely recommend Evolution. I would probably recommend a sliding mitre saw over the one I have. Main reason I went with the R210 was it's small size (I don't have much space) and that it was £40 second hand (in mint condition).

Dave

Soldato
Interesting. I've found ebay/Amazon is best for most tools, from places like PowertoolsMate and My ToolShed. I assume you're along the same lines?

I didn't necessarily mean on just Evolution stuff :p

Yeah similar to those, Amazon is the best place to look. All of our competitors and ourselves will get different discounts on different items even within the same brand and range so with Amazon it is easy to filter out. I would say we most likely are not not cheapest at the first look on most tools at the moment but we are Prime so all (most maybe 99.8%) of our stuff goes out same day for next day delivery with Amazon Logistics for free if your are a Prime member.

Soldato
Thought so.

I agree Amazon is good, especially for bare tools, just tend to get some decent bundles on ebay, where they'll throw in a TSTAK case for virtually the same price as Amazons. For example i'm after the Dewalt DCS391 circular saw. Cheapest on Amazon is £108 yet on ebay can get it for £118 with a £30 deep TSTAK case.

Soldato
Anyone recomend a good sander for use at
Home, needs to sand down filler etc to repair some dents in walls before moving out!

Could also recommend a preferred filler if possible?!

Soldato
Unless you're doing a lot I'd use a sanding block and sanding mesh. Filler isn't difficult to sand (if you fill correctly there shouldn't be much need for sanding), and a power sander + plaster makes a hell of a mess if you aren't careful.

For a power sander have a look at a Bosch random orbital. I've had one for years that's still going strong.

Soldato
Unless you're doing a lot I'd use a sanding block and sanding mesh. Filler isn't difficult to sand (if you fill correctly there shouldn't be much need for sanding), and a power sander + plaster makes a hell of a mess if you aren't careful.

For a power sander have a look at a Bosch random orbital. I've had one for years that's still going strong.

Im looking for the minimum amount of required effort aproach. Never in my life done any decorating of any kind.

Will have a look at the bosch one suggested thanks. Any recommendations for filler type? Is the easy sand stuff in tubs any good or should i use the powederd stuff i see the contractors using.

Soldato
I just use the stuff in the tubs, usually the store's own brand. It's more expensive, but much more convenient.

Interior filler is really, really, easy to sand back; softer than plaster. Follow the instructions on the tub and the amount you'll need to sand back will be minimal. Most of it you can do with just a sheet of coarse sandpaper, no power tools required.

Soldato
Agreed, doesnt sound like there's any requirement to be buying a sander here. At most buy a 4" block of wood to wrap sandpaper around but thats not really needed for a wall.

As for filler the most expensive isn't always the best. I've found the Wickes own brand stuff to be pretty rubbish, yet my local store has a tub a third of the price and it's fantastic.

Soldato
For filler... I always use toupret tx110 it's great and easy to use.

Screwfix have a decent sanding block with handle which is easy to use. As everyone has said filler won't need electric tools, it's pretty quick to sand down.

Back
Top Bottom