Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
How'd you manage to get one that cheap?

Yeah it gets like that. It's annoying the bare tools are so expensive compared to other brands though. I fancy the Angle Grinder but it's about £130 which is more than i'd want to spend.

Although my cheap Parkside Angle Grinder chewed it's way though 2x 2ah batteries cutting a single slab!

They have had some strangely cheap batteries for dewalt and makita in recent months. Was direct from amazon too so not a fake.

I paid 72 for the impact driver body and I managed to get the dewalt recip saw body only from wickes for £80. (129 elsewhere).

Same with my laser level. Got the dewalt green laser one for £124 from amazon and it was £180 at screwfix at time.

Good prices pop up on occasion :)

Caporegime
i buy my tools wired. usually cheaper and more powerful. safer too. heard of lithium batteries causing fires and blowing up. i know someone who died in a house fire and it's one of the theories as he had a ton of tools and the fire started in the garage.

if cordless had the same power i'd probably convert but i find wired are so much more powerful.

my drill is wireless though as that is an obvious one you wouldn't want wired unless doing a big job.

Associate
Maybe, I must admit I only looked back 18 months, and the tracker I use does record all the amazon flash deals etc. It shows a dot outside the normal trend if a flash deal is there.
Funny when you look at some items and they are flash dealing about 50% of the time and have a silly price the rest.

Anyway the deals gone now, Bosch have been running extra special deals on Amazon all month but that one stood out hence why I posted it.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=Bosch+PSB+1800+LI-2 :p

Soldato
i buy my tools wired. usually cheaper and more powerful. safer too. heard of lithium batteries causing fires and blowing up. i know someone who died in a house fire and it's one of the theories as he had a ton of tools and the fire started in the garage.

if cordless had the same power i'd probably convert but i find wired are so much more powerful.

my drill is wireless though as that is an obvious one you wouldn't want wired unless doing a big job.

It's got to the point now where cordless is as powerful for certain tools. Like Dewalts 57v range. They do nail guns that are as fast as gas powered and can sink 90mm nails into studwork with ease, even battery powered table and mitre saws.

The price is the main barrier, even for most tradesmen at the moment, but I have a feeling it'll get more reasonable as the other brands start to compete.

Regarding the dangers of Li-ions, I think it's a very minute chance of anything going wrong. The same cells are sued in Laptops and other wireless devices. Usually problems arise from incorrect storage, like having the batteries piled up in a toolbox with loose screws and nails etc that could short the battery.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
My Dewalt xr 4.0ah battery arrived this week from amazon. Crazy bargain at £23.

My dewalt collection is growing.

Combi drill
Impact driver
Reciprocating saw
Laser level.

Kinda addictive unnecessary spending :(

Managed to grab two at this price, takes my batteries up to 2 x 5ah and 4 x 4ah should be ample for now

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Might set a tracker on the batteries then. I've only ever seen the Non-Dewalt ones at that price. Although the Flagpower ones i have are decent enough.

Download the app and set up some alerts, managed to snag a few bargains this way.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just install keepa (if you use chrome or a chrome based browser). You can track the prices and receive alerts on anything on Amazon (and a handful of other sites).

I've got makita batteries tracked, granted the cheapest ones recently at £22 are the 3.0Ah batteries, would love some 4Ah or 5Ah batteries to reduce in price but unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom