Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
After a lot of umming and ahhing I ended up going for a Erbauer ECDT18-Li-2 kit with a pair of 5Ah batteries. I was a bit wary of the weight of the batteries but the balance is perfect. It's a cracking drill and is much quieter than my old Silverline. It's on offer at the moment for £115.
Thanks, that looks like just what I need. Are they end of line as they are advertised as clearance items?

Man of Honour
Thanks, that looks like just what I need. Are they end of line as they are advertised as clearance items?

I am not sure because there is no mention of it being EOL on Screwfix. It's a really good drill and is of massively better quality than my old 20v Silverpower drill. The Silverpower may have been cheaper but it did last me 7 years before the batteries wouldn't hold a charge. The Erbauer has a 2 year warranty and the batteries are compatible with several other Erbauer EXT tools. The wife is getting me the cordless vacuum for the car for my birthday and I am hoping to pick up the angle grinder cheaply between black Friday and the New Year sales.

Soldato
I’m going to be hanging some new doors soon, they’ll be standard hollow doors, nothing fancy or hardwood. What’s the best tool for trimming the bottoms? Electric planer?

Anyone got any recommendations? I think it would be fair to say this is likely to be the only job like this I will be doing so it doesn’t need to a high end model, just one that is sufficient. Prices seem to vary significantly. I have screwfix and tool station nearby and online of course!

If it's only the bottom then circular saw and a straight edge, especially if it needs a slight angle.

Soldato
Right on cue up pops a 20% off Ebay coupon Seller:buyaparcel

Dewalt DCK266P2T £251.99

Just seen this deal -https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...Li-Ion?tduid=cafe69482ebdfee077008ffe3077edad

Which has the top of the range drill as well as impact driver 2x4ah batts and charger for £250. Seem a pretty good? There’s another with 2x5ah batts for £310 but not sure the slightly bigger bats are worth £60??

what do people think? I’m looking to get a new drill and thought this might be a good place to start?

Soldato
I got that kit last year with the 5Ah batteries for about £279 at my local dealers (might have been less it was very good deal at time). The Batteries are too big it takes me weeks to get them down one bar just doing DIY. If I were a jobbing chippy or electrician might get through a bt quicker bu they're fairly hefty. Luckily I have over DeWalt batteries that are a better size.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, guess no issue with the 4ah batts then!

Would you say the kit in general is good for DIY or would the smaller DCK266 with the less powerful drill and driver be more suited? They are the same price of £250 so I just figured getting the more powerful ones made sense.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, guess no issue with the 4ah batts then!

Would you say the kit in general is good for DIY or would the smaller DCK266 with the less powerful drill and driver be more suited? They are the same price of £250 so I just figured getting the more powerful ones made sense.

If it's the same price get the 276. The drill and impact will do anything and everything for a DIYer. 5ah batteries are only decent for the hungrier tools.

To be honest I prefer my 10.8v Dewalt kit to the 18v stuff. Does around 80% of what I need and it's much lighter in the hand.

Soldato
If it's the same price get the 276. The drill and impact will do anything and everything for a DIYer. 5ah batteries are only decent for the hungrier tools.

To be honest I prefer my 10.8v Dewalt kit to the 18v stuff. Does around 80% of what I need and it's much lighter in the hand.

This was my concern. Whilst the 276 is the same price for more power/torque etc is it going to be overkill and too heavy for home DIY?

Soldato
Def good points, I was thinking more of the size, weight and balance of the drill though. Would the small one be easier to use?

Mines a brushed model so weighs far more and is far larger than all of the brushless models. So I would still get the more powerful one regardless.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Just seen this deal -https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...Li-Ion?tduid=cafe69482ebdfee077008ffe3077edad

Which has the top of the range drill as well as impact driver 2x4ah batts and charger for £250. Seem a pretty good? There’s another with 2x5ah batts for £310 but not sure the slightly bigger bats are worth £60??

what do people think? I’m looking to get a new drill and thought this might be a good place to start?

I initially went with the 266 with 5ah batteries, very good tools the 796 is very well balanced with either 4ah or 5ah batteries, but I've since added a bare 996 to my tool bag just for the extra grunt (half my renovation is an old stone house and the hammer struggled a bit on the 796)

Back
Top Bottom