Precision Bomb hit Baghdad market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
just got this from the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2887555.stm

Fourteen people have died and another 30 have been injured at a Baghdad market that was hit during an air raid by US-led coalition forces, the Iraqi authorities say.

Two missiles or bombs are thought to have hit the market, in the north of the city, at about 1130am local time (0830GMT) amid a number of coalition air raids on the Iraqi capital.

An angry crowd gathered at the scene, shouting anti-American slogans.

Reuters news agency correspondents say they have seen at least 15 burnt bodies near three badly damaged apartment buildings in a residential area of the city.

Some local people have said the number of dead could be as high as 45.

Correspondents say the incident, if confirmed, is a massive blow to attempts by coalition forces to minimise civilian casualties during their drive to unseat Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

It is likely to increase anger in the Arab world and beyond about the war.

A spokesman for the Royal Air Force said that an investigation would be held into the incident.

If the market had been hit as a result of by coalition action, he said, "we deeply regret the loss of civilian life".

TV station back on air

It came after Iraqi television resumed broadcasts despite an air attack on Baghdad's main television station by US-led coalition forces.

Soldato
well what can you say?

those agains tthe war will point out the illegality of the fight, the fact that civilians are being killed and that under the IWC tribunal, the UK can be charged as war criminals, but the US, nt having dsigned up can act with impunity.

the pro-war will just say that this is inevitable, and that we have to make the chioce between the lesser of two evils, the french are chickens and the russions have sold WMD to Iraq.

it's lose lose mate,
i personaly think that this war is illegal, bush is a war criminal, blair is aiding and abetting, and that the double standrds the west is showing takes my breath away.

but people won't listen.

and we all check the been (i do!)

Soldato
Originally posted by MAD_BANDIT
bomb must have gone off target.

this was at 11.30 local time, so the pilots must have been able to see that there were loads of peple.

tragic :(

Assumptions :(

Ill wait until the BBC report on what happened.

Soldato
You can't see people if you are 20,000 ft in the air?

Laser malfunctioned? GPS signal disruptor? Strong gale winds? Too much speed for the pilot?

Man of Honour
A tragic event.

However i will wait for the official report. Speculation on the tele says one thing that happened a lot in the Kosovo war was that cruise missiles got damaged in the air by things like machine gun/AA fire which affected targetting systems etc. Thats just one situation.

It could have course have been a tragic mistake.

So i will wait for official word.

Commissario
it could be anything from a malfunction in the guidence system/engine, to it being affected by GPS jamming or shot down.

The BBC just had someone on who made a very good point, to all effects and purposes a cruise missile is a slow and low flying lightly armoured aircraft most of the time

Custor

C

Custor

Originally posted by Over Clocker
Aye, it could be anything. Thats why i will wait for the speech. Which incidentally, is starting now!!

That was handeled well - not.

Man of Honour
What i meant is i am waiting to hear the circumstances, it hasnt even been confirmed what the missile is yet.

I'm not saying it wasnt a mistake on the part of the coalition, it may well be, in which case more care should be taken, and an investigation will be carried out.

My reason, is that on Saturday afternoon, there was report that a missile hit an oilfield in Iran.

A load of people jumped on the US's back saying how thick they are to hit the wrong country.

It then turned out that the missile was actually Iraqi.

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by Over Clocker
What i meant is i am waiting to hear the circumstances, it hasnt even been confirmed what the missile is yet.

I'm not saying it wasnt a mistake on the part of the coalition, it may well be, in which case more care should be taken, and an investigation will be carried out.

My reason, is that on Saturday afternoon, there was report that a missile hit an oilfield in Iran.

A load of people jumped on the US's back saying how thick they are to hit the wrong country.

It then turned out that the missile was actually Iraqi.

allthough CNN did report that a further 2 missiles did hit a border town inside iran

Custor

C

Custor

Liked hte bit about how evil the Iraqi regime was that it had demolition charges on bridges!!!:eek:
Vid clip of target under bridge being hit. Look do everyhting to not destroy infrastructure:)

Then in questioning about the Syrian bus he admits that they were blowing the bridge up to get at stuff underneath it. ;)

Nice avoidance on % accuracy of ordanence as well.

Oh still no SCUDs - that 1st conversation OC about SCUDs landing seems along time ago.

Custor

C

Custor

To have a pop about how evil the enemy is becuase they might blow up a bridge to defend a river line, then admit to blowing up a bridge is a bit to hit something underneath it is a bit.........

PR Stated accuracy or actual accuracy?

This is supposed to be without propaganda briefings?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom