Predator X34

Soldato
Hey All

Just wondering whether my Asus GTX 1060 Turbo 6GB will be enough to run the above monitor?

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM
Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1 Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black
Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

Gaming, photo editing, netfix etc ..... I have searched for a minimum and it looks like a 1070 would be it :(

Soldato
It will run of course. But yes, it is a fairly high pixel count + high refresh rate means you will need to make a fair number of compromises in terms of visual settings in games, more so the more demanding ones to maintain a decent frame rate.

Associate
I've just ordered one, hopefully get it tomorrow. I'm running it with a GTX 970! I've read some fairly encouraging reports with the gsync helping with the lower frame rates and running games without or using low AA. I reckon it might be alright, give it a chance. If I have to replace the GPU, then so be it, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes without.

PS I've also got a slower processor, less ram than you as well lol

Caporegime
I think most stuff will be fine on Medium settings, which tbh in this day and age still looks great! Gsync will def help with the lows, I say go for it :)

Soldato
OP
I've just ordered one, hopefully get it tomorrow. I'm running it with a GTX 970! I've read some fairly encouraging reports with the gsync helping with the lower frame rates and running games without or using low AA. I reckon it might be alright, give it a chance. If I have to replace the GPU, then so be it, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes without.

Really interested to what you think once you have it setup :)

Associate
Well you did it the right way round imo, given the choice I'd get the UW first and play with reduced detail :cool:

Yeah I think so... and to be honest, I don't play that many of the very latest titles out there, I tend to wait for a while for them to come down in price. I think the newest game I have is GTAV or maybe Doom! I'm also not the heaviest of gamers, I only play a few hours a week at the most, in many respects, I am after it just as much for the increased real estate / sharpness :)

Soldato

G-sync does indeed help smooth out the variable frame rate aspect to make things feel smoother. Just as a side note, so try to stay above 30fps and configure the game if you can as G-Sync operates from 30-100hz and turns off after 100 fps.

Associate
G-sync does indeed help smooth out the variable frame rate aspect to make things feel smoother. Just as a side note, so try to stay above 30fps and configure the game if you can as G-Sync operates from 30-100hz and turns off after 100 fps.

Cheers, I'm quite confident I can tweak my games to get them running acceptably well until the time comes to upgrade

Associate
So I've got it, and I've just plugged it in. Well, lets the bad out of the way first - and it's not what you probably think I am going to say, but this thing has taken over my desk!!! I mean considering I had a 34" monitor before, this one sits out very proud on its stand, and dominates the whole desk! Which means I'm also sitting closer than I'd like, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Now for the good. Wow, this thing is a BEAUT! The increase in picture quality is noticeable. The curve is nice and makes the screen look more uniform whereas on the flat screen it looked like the edges were facing away. I was initially a little confused by the fact it was only running at 60Hz, but I realised I had to turn on the overclocking from the OSD and then set the Nvidia control panel to use the increased refresh. I am currently running it at 90 Hz (I realise I can do more).

Haven't tried a game yet, but the extra real estate is certainly welcome. Will report back on how my 970 handles a game at this resolution (or not, as the case may be!)

Associate
Haven't got much time to play properly but I would like to share some initial impressions.

Doom: Most settings on Ultra, anti-aliasing FXAA (one notch above off as it did seem to still make a visual difference), and it seemed to be running anything between 45 - 60 fps. Not a bad start.

Crysis 3: This one was a bit harder for the system. Before I had it set to all High, 16x anistropic and full anti-aliasing - it ran OK, but when I've gone up to QHD, it struggles. So, I've knocked it down to 1 notch above off for the AA, and a good few notches on the anistropic filtering, and textures down Medium, motion blur off. I have no way of verifying the frame rate, but it still looked gorgeous to me, but is VERY playable indeed, subjectively it seems to be around 50-60 fps.

Off to try a couple more, I'll report back...

Associate
Couple more...

Far Cry 4 - this one was challenging for the 970... but still very playable with AA off and at High Settings. Can't validate the frame rate but it was absolutely fine to play. Actually you could probably push it a bit harder but it seemed a nice enough trade off.

Finally, GTA V - this one has a benchmark test, and I left the settings as they were, most settings were turned up. The benchmark went from as low as 40 FPS to as high as 75 FPS, and when you actually played it, it was extremely smooth and very pretty. This was probably the biggest surprise.

I won't get to have a proper play until the weekend, but so far I'm happy. Very expensive and extravagant, but honestly I could see it lasting me 5 years anyway.

Might look into some alternative stands though. The design of the one it comes with is nice and is very stable but it has taken over somewhat. Or maybe I'll just get used to it, who knows.

Associate
Save the stand money, get a stronger gpu and enjoy 100fps... :)

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can live with it the way it is so I'm going to have to get a monitor arm or stand.

I'm thinking of getting this: Ergotron MX Desk Mount - anyone have any experience of this, it seems to get good reviews.

Edit: You'll have to google it as the forum seems to break the link.

Associate
I got the same mount as chaperall. Very good bit of kit.

I've noticed grain at frequenciers higher than 85Hz. Not too bothered really. Monitor is good for IPS glow / bleed, its there, but definitely tolerable. Not ideal for the money but we know there aint no perfect monitors out there.

Other than that delighted with the look, picture quality and just general experience.

I've got a 970 as I said, and I've tweaked Doom to get 50 FPS even during a firefight and with pretty good image quality settings, and the monitor does wonders to make the experience a great one. Google for a tweak guide for your chosen game.

Overall very pleasing. I will be after a 1070Ti/1080 when the new Volta cards come out, but its nice to know I can still have a good experience with an old 970 in the meantime :)

Back
Top Bottom