Prey demo (XB1 & PS4)

Soldato
Demo is a very mixed bag, the premise is pretty interesting but the combat is a real mess. It's using the same engine as Dishonored which works well for stealth but most of the demo you're being attacked by "mimics" that hide as regular objects. They attack in groups, move too fast and all you have is a wrench that you can only swing 4-5 times before you are tired.

I'll be holding off for full reviews so the demo might well have saved me 40 quid!

Soldato
thought the look and level design was excellent in the demo and had a real Bioshock or Portal vibe, there is something not quite right about the character control though. By far the most annoying thing for me was the music that kicks in whenever the Mimics show up, its like nails down a chalkboard.

Associate
Ordered this for PC having had fond memories of the original. Not holding out much hope though, GFX wise doesn't look that great and the enemies look meh. And the mimicking of in game items should be cool, but so far from what videos I've seen it doesn't look as fun as I imagined it might be.

Soldato
And the mimicking of in game items should be cool, but so far from what videos I've seen it doesn't look as fun as I imagined it might be.

Used sparingly it could be good but in the demo it's used far too much so you end up just walking into a room and getting swarmed far too often. I'm still hoping the final game either addresses some of the issues and/or that the later enemies are more interesting/less cheap because the story has potential.

Soldato
Played and completed the demo last night. "Meh" is all I can really say. Interesting premise but the mimic mechanic was way over used (the game was at its best when you DIDN'T know what was out there) and it felt clunky to play. Maybe the full game would be better but I won't be in any rush to go and buy it.

Soldato
Was really looking forward to this and was left disappointed by the demo. I think it's a wait for a sale or inevitable big price drop a couple of weeks after release.

Soldato
If you buy the game can you continue on from the demo? I doubt you can tbh so if not ill give the demo a miss...i hate playing through the same thing twice.

Soldato
thought the look and level design was excellent in the demo and had a real Bioshock or Portal vibe, there is something not quite right about the character control though. By far the most annoying thing for me was the music that kicks in whenever the Mimics show up, its like nails down a chalkboard.

Both of the issues mentioned are apparently addressed on the games release. The input lag didn't bother me but I couldn't say the same about the music, the jump scare track just seemed to go on and on.

I was actually pretty impressed by this game but I seem to be the only one :p. I thought it had excellent level design and a decent premise. I didn't have any problems with the combat like everyone else but i was primarily relying on the wrench and only switched to guns where i couldnt sneak up on the bigger targets so i never had to rely on aiming.

Soldato
I bet Bethesda thought a demo may make people feel better about there review embargo policy but it sounds like it may be doing more harm than good. I haven't tried it but when I heard it was an hour I had concerns they would try and hook you with good elements crammed in then the full game would just rinse and repeat it. Sounds mixed at best

Soldato
If you buy the game can you continue on from the demo? I doubt you can tbh so if not ill give the demo a miss...i hate playing through the same thing twice.
I was wondering the same thing. Just looked it up and its not possible.

Its not a massive concern for me as I get an idea of the difficulty level of normal. I may well switch to hard for my first playthrough as i was swimming in resources by the end of the demo.

Soldato
I really liked it, so much so in fact that I didn't want to finish the demo as I want to experience the rest of it in the full game when I eventually get it.

Visuals were decent, gameplay was quite good although I'd echo some of the complaints about overuse of the 'mimic' mechanic by enemies. I like the Portal meets Bioshock meets Alien: Isolation feel, it seems like some of the areas will be quite big and be fun to explore. As someone else said already, input lag and LOUD MUSIC is going to be addressed for the full game.

I was quite impressed with one of the early sections where you can change the helipad scene to the two different rooftops. I did that, then turned the skybox on, then smashed through the roof of the apartment and thought I'd got myself stuck in that area because I could no longer find the exit, but was able to smash the 'screens' and get back out. The level design is very well thought out.

Back
Top Bottom