Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
Froome assaulted by French police after stage

Entirely his own fault IMO. The guy's job is to stop spectators being on the course. So when Froome disguises himself as a spectator and rides backwards on the course, I'm not surprised he got stopped.

Can't blame Froome for disguising himself though. With the amount of abuse he gets from the french fans I'd be doing the same.

Soldato
OP
Did I miss something? What has Tony Martin done?
He's a nob! Incredible rider (in his day) but total and utter bell-end. Tour of Flanders was just a prime example of his attitude and what he gets up to all the time. Megalomaniac.

The MPCC only exists because the UCI and WADA have shown themselves to be barely credible repeatedly (with rules which seem to curiously vary depending on how good you are).
Not going to dispute that but at the end of the day the UCI own the races, they appoint WADA and they have their own rules.

Do I think the French are manufacturing controversy around Sky, yes absolutely. There have been notable people stoking up the press all summer building up the the race.
Totally agree. When before have we heard from Hainalt calling out riders and teams. Even when there where positive doping convictions he remained silent (as far as I'm aware)?

I do think there’s a misconception that mountain stages in the Tour historically have been the preserve of sub 60kg mountain goats. The longer stages have historically suited the rouleur types who have greater reserves to negotiate multiple cols. However, with the exception of Indurain, none of these GC riders have been winning/podiuming the Worlds TT until the last 5 or so years (Wiggins, Froome, Dumoulin). Something has changed to make that possible.
The change I think just comes from all the sports science and very complete medical knowledge of the modern age/era. The majority of these guys are on the absolute pinnacle of what is physically possible, back in the early years it was only the handful of riders who came close. Just look at some of the speeds the classic climbs are ridden at through the ages. Data is pretty much king these days so things favour teams controlling the racing and power climbing (ala the 'Sky train'). The explosive lightweight climbers like the Yates, Quintana, Alaphillipe etc just cannot ride as consistently hard as the big TT guys, they just don't have the reserves, teams or recovery required over 3 week GT's.

Personally I think cycling is in pretty good health if all that the people wetting themselves over is an asthma medicine that doesnt have any performance enhancing effects taken in the dosages that have been consumed.
Questionable over the performance enhancing, as some have said it can have a minor boost depending on physiology. The jiffy bag incident was far far far more worrying but equally the UCI have not seen it serious enough to strip Wiggins of his title(s) so something to be said about that. I still think we don't know the full story, wasn't Dr Freeman releasing a book and hinted about a huge exposé?

I'm with you here. It's 50/50 as to whether this blows things to pieces and is very entertaining.... or it'll be a complete borefest and nothing will materialise of it.

With only one proper mountain stage left tomorrow.... Bardet, Quintana, Dumoulin have to do something today. Yates looked strong yesterday and this sort of thing may tickle the fancy of Dan Martin and Alaphillipe to crack on as well. So it certainly does have the capability to be mental.
Incredible stage! Just goes to show we don't need 200km stages to decide races and make things exciting.

Alaphillippe has been amazing, have really enjoyed his racing, attacking and then that bit on the stage when he acknowledged Yates, patted him on the shoulder and shook his hand really showed his measure. I'd initially doubted he'd held back a bit for Yates (as he said in the post race interview) but after that I trust he did (a little)! Dan Martin has grown on me as well, had really hoped he could catch Quintana! Incredible ride by Movistar just a shame we're only seeing it this late in the Tour.

Soldato
It's been a good tour this year. As was said when the tour route was announced it has been designed to not play to Froome's strengths. It's funny but the most decisive point in the tour was day 1 when Froome, Porte, Yates and Quintana lost time. It may have been a different tour had we gone into the Alps with those lot in the race on the same time as Thomas.

Thomas has really improved his climbing since dropping track racing and really looks good and plainly the stages of this years tour suit him.

Soldato
You could argue the stage to Mur de Bretagne was even more important as Dumoulin lost 1:10 that day including the penalty.

It would be a classic race is Thomas only had 45s coming in to the TT

Soldato
I didn’t think the 65km stage was that exciting.

Sure Nairo attacked and won, when he was what 6-7 minutes down. Sky didn’t care and I don’t think anyone else above him did either as it got no reaction. He pulled a minute and that was it they let him sit there knowing he will lose at least that minute in the TT.

Dan Martin stuck in no mans land riding on his own the whole climb burning matches left right and centre which might come back to bite him. He took as many seconds on the stage he won punching away with about 1km to go!

Bardet dropped off after not having the legs as did Landa and Valverde.

Shame Roglic and Cruiseship couldn’t shake it up a little more at the end, if they’d given it a crack with 5km to go rather than 2km maybe Froome would have cracked then big time and Roglic would be on the podium......

Soldato
Roglic is a big shout for me, he looks superb coming to 3rd week and Steven Kruijswijk has actually looked very consistent. I hope either of those guys build on that in coming years as I still feel so bad about Kruijswijk's Giro the other year :(

Quintana should be docked time for that spell behind their car yesterday. Dumoulin got done for exactly same thing when it was a lot more impact to the GC involved in the penalty. I know the car drafting happens but if they are going to lead by example on a race favourite in one situation but not in the other, what is the point?

Associate
If this breakaway group could do something amazing, Landa and Bardet could steal first and second overall. Many people out there will be praying for a big incident in the Peleton. Most of them French of course!

Edit: Quintana popped or mechanical? 3'38 down now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great stage today, as you'd expect at the last. Attacks all over the show and some fantastic descending. Everyone right at the limit. Well deserved by roglic, looking incredibly strong. Could move up to second easily based on today. Tomorrow's tt will be interesting.

Soldato
they were saying that he fell the day before and its taking its toll

That’s just the level he is at, the crash wouldn’t have helped but I couldn’t have seen him animating the stage at all.

He wouldn’t have chased Landa down & when the lotto and sky guys kicked off he’d have been out the back I think.

Soldato
So who the bloody hell has won... Froome had a time of 40:50 but seems to been given a 40:53?

Just rewound. Looks like they stopped the clock too early.

Great rides all round,although surprised to see roglic drop down the way he did.

Soldato
Incredible - Sky win 6 tours in 8 years and the last 4 GTs. By all accounts Geraint is a lovely bloke and has been a selfless helper for so many years

Soldato
Absolutely over the moon that Thomas has won. Been supporting him since the Olympics in 2008, watching him in the team pursuit. Awesome. :D

Back
Top Bottom