Pro Cycling Discussion 2019

Soldato
OP
Well yesterday was brilliant on paper.. Just didn't get to see any of it unfortunately. Roglic in prime position to take the Jersey tomorrow and if his form continues to pull back the time after his crash all the way to Madrid.

Soldato
OP
Roglic put down a marker yesterday as expected! Quintana flumped as expected. Really interesting to see if now he moves to Arkea Samsic they invest 5 quid into improving his position which hasn't changed in all the years I remember seeing him on a TT bike.

Up to Lopez, Pogacar and Movistar to put the attacks on from now on, 4 more summit finishes and some climbs to come, but based on the way Lopez and Roglic rode on Sunday they look the two strongest riders if they can stay upright.

Soldato
Did anyone catch what actually happened to Pogacar? Millar noticed the bike had been swapped as the original bike was on the roof with number but no details on what the issue was.

Soldato
OP
Did anyone catch what actually happened to Pogacar? Millar noticed the bike had been swapped as the original bike was on the roof with number but no details on what the issue was.

Reading/listening to the interviews it didn't sound as though anything happened and he dropped off in the middle part, so maybe he started on that bike?

Soldato
Reading/listening to the interviews it didn't sound as though anything happened and he dropped off in the middle part, so maybe he started on that bike?
Sounds more plausible though Millar seemed convinced during the commentary there had been an incident due to his significant drop off. Maybe it's just that - he blew up :D

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/49581440 Hope this doesn't affect @xdcx or @Jonny ///M when the tour of britain visits Scotland.

I am 130 miles too far North :) Jonny would have been desperately hiding an tidying though for them passing by yesterday :p

I rode from Kirkby Lonsdale to Old Hutton a few times last week which is what they will cover on Tuesday. It's totally grim and it's not even classed as a climbing section of the stage. It's just so up and down and the roads are stupidly grippy. I feel sorry for them!

Soldato
OP
Cool, we stayed in cantsfield last September! Lovely part of the world apart from the rain everyday.

Yep think I did that stretch and it's horrible.

Soldato
The route they took on Saturday could have been much better, they avoided three climbs close together that bring you out at Straiton where they turned towards Dalmelington.

Deepest darkest Ayrshire probably has a massive oversupply of green after having to get rid of the plants :D

Soldato
They could have made the last 2 days even better by having them in proper Scotland! ;)
Ride them up by Loch Lomond and do some bugger of a loop then make them finish up the top of the Ba!

The possibilities north of Stirling are incredible yet a pro bike race has never even considered any of it.

Soldato
OP
Cor blimey, what a stage on the Vuelta today, cannot beat a crosswind for entertainment. Touch and Go for Roglic at one point, but his team and then Astana bailed him out. Movistar bus will be fun tonight, reckon they'll be some arguments before they decide to focus on tomorrows stage.

Was listening to the Bradley Wiggins Podcast earlier where he was talking about his Olympic Gold and pushing out 469W for 50 minutes for the TT after hitting 469W for 1hour10 in Le Tour TT, absoultely insane after coming off the Tour so soon. That's the level these guys are at! Quite scary!

Soldato
OP
Not much love for the vuelta. Was fairly obvious Roglic was strongest early on and would have won even taking out his itt win and especially if you took out jumbo visma getting nuked in the opening ttt.

Still an enjoyable race as you never know what's going to happen at the vuelta. So many breakaway wins. Pogacar was a delight to watch, real intelligent rider it seems.

Now onto world champs. Strong money is on matheiu van der poel, but I think he's too odds on and despite his strength everyone will be ensuring he's marked to death. I've no idea who my money is on, too many riders in good form. Wouldnt be surprised if Sam Bennett is there at the end
But either way the course looks pretty brutal and the longest in history I think (280km/302 including neutralised zone I heard) if thr weather is atrocious which long term forecast indicates it could be there could be hardly any finishers..

Unfortunately I'm moving house the day after otherwise would have likely gone up to watch. I presume a few people will be heading along.

Soldato
Not much love for the vuelta. Was fairly obvious Roglic was strongest early on and would have won even taking out his itt win and especially if you took out jumbo visma getting nuked in the opening ttt.

Still an enjoyable race as you never know what's going to happen at the vuelta. So many breakaway wins. Pogacar was a delight to watch, real intelligent rider it seems.

Now onto world champs. Strong money is on matheiu van der poel, but I think he's too odds on and despite his strength everyone will be ensuring he's marked to death. I've no idea who my money is on, too many riders in good form. Wouldnt be surprised if Sam Bennett is there at the end
Totally agree, Vuelta had it's good points but much of the racing in the final week by the GC was pretty bland. So many strong teams just marking each other out. Couple of stand outs like Pogacar & Lopez was fantastic to watch even though he kinda popped/fizzled, Tao was great to watch too, kinda disappointed he came so close to a good result a couple of times. Usually disappointment from Quintana. Feel as if Movistar had ridden for Valverde he could've won it and it would've been far more exciting.

Van der Poel's form at the ToB, totally agree he's the one who'll be watched. The course and roads probably suit his riding and skills after seeing him ride the ToB? Distance and being marked so much might be the decider, but with a team .NL will have I don't see that a problem?!

Back
Top Bottom