Pro Cycling Discussion Thread 2015

Soldato
OP
Great days racing today
The finish of Paris Nice and the Col d'eze time trialhttp://inrng.com/2015/03/paris-nice-stage-7-preview-col-d-eze/

Gallopin's ride yesterday was stunning and he should be strong enough to hold onto yellow unless he get a mechanical. You have to say that he will deserve it too with the bravery of his descending. Porte should be good enough for 2nd.

Tirreno Adriatico Stage 5 mountain finish http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/tirreno15/stage5_preview.html

Bertie seems a little off colour and no-one is talking about Quintana. The climax today will tell us how the preparation for the Giro is going.

Associate
Watched every days riding of both races this week and its been some good stuff. Really enjoying the Paris-Nice in particular as they've been having a real go at it. Yesterdays stage was gripping stuff especially on that last descent when the 2 Sky lads crashed after chasing down the Etixx riders. Epic ride from Gallopin , very impressed with his lone break and I agree he should be comfortably strong enough to hold on for a well deserved win.

Also very impressed by Wout Poels ride , I didnt realise he was such a good climber but that was a master stroke of an attack just before the summit. If any of the Sky boys was gonna give it a go I thought it would be Nieve tbh

Soldato
OP
Porte crushed it. Gallopin shipped nearly two minutes over less than 10km. Thomas finished 5th which is very creditable. The Sky bandwagon rolls on. I wonder whether or not they can land Roubaix?

Soldato
One day classics are still a lottery, the cream tends to rise to the top but it could be any one of 20 riders.

Look at EPQS, all the talent in the world and they still lost to Stannard.

Soldato
OP
One day classics are still a lottery, the cream tends to rise to the top but it could be any one of 20 riders.

Look at EPQS, all the talent in the world and they still lost to Stannard.

I don't think they are a lottery. That would imply that a large number of the 180 or so starters had a genuine chance. In truth you can probably shortlist about 15 for any of the big races. Of course you can get crashes, mechanicals etc but I can't remember the last time one was won "out of the blue" - maybe Ciolek's win at Milan-San Remo a couple of years ago.

Milan San Remo is on Sunday and it looks like a tight affair as there is no long climb in the parcours to take the sprinters out of consideration. The run in from the bottom of the Poggio descent is also shorter this year. Kristoff could defend as he looks in decent form - if it comes to a bunch sprint but you won't get 100-1 on him like you could last year.

Flanders still looks like a race for Cancellara to lose if he continues to build form like he is. Roubaix - Sky have a decent shot. They will have a team to rival Ettix this year and Stannard, Thomas or Wiggins could all contend.

Soldato
OP
Good AMA on reddit by a pro race mechanic for anyone that's interested in that side of things-

http://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/2z86ek/i_work_as_a_team_mechanic_for_a_procontinental/

Cheers for that - a very interesting read

I'm looking forward to Paris Roubaix which will probably be the first race I watch this year. Got it in the diary already :D

Any idea who is showing it live this year? Sky, Eurosport, BBC, ITV4?

Probably Eurosport. It could be a cracking race this year. More open than before but Etixx losing Tom Boonen will mean they have to ride a different race.

Soldato
OP
So, prediction for Milan - San Remo

I am going to stick my neck out and say Cancellara will win his second La Primavera. He has wintered well and raced selectively with the classics season his main goal. He knows this might be his last chance to compete for these races. The finish being close to the decent of the Poggio suits him as well because he can attack on the Poggio and leave less chance for the better sprinters to get back on. I expect Degenkolb, Kwiatowski and (wait for it) Boassen Hagen to be there also. Kristoff also looks in good enough form.

1. Cancellara
2. Degenkolb
3. Kwiatowski

Associate
So, prediction for Milan - San Remo

I am going to stick my neck out and say Cancellara will win his second La Primavera. He has wintered well and raced selectively with the classics season his main goal. He knows this might be his last chance to compete for these races. The finish being close to the decent of the Poggio suits him as well because he can attack on the Poggio and leave less chance for the better sprinters to get back on. I expect Degenkolb, Kwiatowski and (wait for it) Boassen Hagen to be there also. Kristoff also looks in good enough form.

1. Cancellara
2. Degenkolb
3. Kwiatowski

I'll go

Matthews
Sagan
Kwiatkowski

Back
Top Bottom