Pro Cycling Discussion Thread 2015

Soldato
OP
That was a great finish to the race yesterday. I was delighted to see Sagan win. The way he took that last left hander after the descent was breathtaking. Anyone else would have stacked it into the barrier at that speed. I hope this is the start of a winning streak and not another curse of the rainbow jersey.

Also great to see the reaction of the peloton to his win. High fives all round. The only negative was the tv coverage sucked due to host broadcaster picture breakup.

The womens race was also pretty exciting in the last two laps. Amazing that Lizzie had the strength to outsprint them all at the end.

Soldato
Pretty impressive podium collection over the years - Goss 2nd to Cav, Gerrans third to Gilbert and 2nd last year(?), Matthews 2nd to Sagan this time

Loved the reaction from the peloton to his win - wonderful stuff

Apart from you who remembers who comes second!? ;)

I bet they would trade all those podiums for one top step.

Confirmed Cav, Renshaw and Eisel to MTN (Dimension Data) for next season.

They have a bloody good team now and should hopefully get some good results and more GT wins.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apart from you who remembers who comes second!? ;)

I bet they would trade all those podiums for one top step.

Confirmed Cav, Renshaw and Eisel to MTN (Dimension Data) for next season.

They have a bloody good team now and should hopefully get some good results and more GT wins.

Yeah will be pretty strong. Wonder if it'll be called Dimension Data Deloitte now?

Soldato
When the DD sponsorship was announced i think the official name was "Team Dimension Data riding for Qhubeka powered by Samsung", so now it's probably "Team Dimension Data riding for Qhubeka powered by Samsung and Deloitte"? Bit of a mouthful. I definitely think Qhubeka should be part of the name still though, considering all the work they've done to raise awareness of the charity. Probably end up calling them DDQ in shorthand.

Soldato
Also great to see the reaction of the peloton to his win. High fives all round. The only negative was the tv coverage sucked due to host broadcaster picture breakup.

The womens race was also pretty exciting in the last two laps. Amazing that Lizzie had the strength to outsprint them all at the end.

Watched the womens highlights last night. Thought the the TV coverage was average to poor. Needed to flip between the leaders and peleton in the last lap more to see the gap changing.

Awesome racing from Lizzie though :cool:

Caporegime
When the DD sponsorship was announced i think the official name was "Team Dimension Data riding for Qhubeka powered by Samsung", so now it's probably "Team Dimension Data riding for Qhubeka powered by Samsung and Deloitte"? Bit of a mouthful. I definitely think Qhubeka should be part of the name still though, considering all the work they've done to raise awareness of the charity. Probably end up calling them DDQ in shorthand.

According to some bod on road.cc, UCI rules mean you can only have one title sponsor (Edit: should say two, but I'm a gibbon), so it'll be "Deloitte riding for Qhubeka" or something. Or is that where your "powered by" suffix is supposed to fit in?

Last edited:
Soldato
According to some bod on road.cc, UCI rules mean you can only have one title sponsor, so it'll be "Deloitte riding for Qhubeka" or something. Or is that where your "powered by" suffix is supposed to fit in?

He's talking nonsense.
Loads of teams have double-name titles:
Saxo Tinkoff
Garmin Cannondale
Orica Greenedge
Omega Pharma Quickstep
Lampre Merida

...and loads more. In fact, probably more than single-name sponsors.

Caporegime
He's talking nonsense.
Loads of teams have double-name titles:
Saxo Tinkoff
Garmin Cannondale
Orica Greenedge
Omega Pharma Quickstep
Lampre Merida

...and loads more. In fact, probably more than single-name sponsors.

No, actually I just can't type :p

I meant you can't have more than two sponsors in the team name.

Soldato
Qhubeka isn't actually a sponsor though so that complicates things. They've always been "powered by" or p/b Samsung though, and that at least is their youtube channel name. I'm not sure exactly on the specifics of that sponsorship but they provide all the tech for the team bus and stuff, maybe some additional funds as well?

Soldato
Inner Ring reporting Kittel to Ettix-Quickstep but then Lidl will be the sponsering the team

Dutch paper - translate

LOLs at the Translate:

It is not yet clear how much money and for how long Lidl would stay with Team Quick Step, but it would be a long-term project. With Team Quick Step drive tentative one German Tony Martin, but with Marcel Kittel, a second German clattering coming.

Soldato
That's what I heard too. Bit of a gamble given his season, who knows if he is over his illness or not.

Haas and Fraile to MTN, two more good riders there, Gos rumoured to be out as not renewed contract yet.

Man of Honour
The route for the 2016 Tour de France (103rd) is here:

v9xgY5X.jpg

21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,519 kilometres.

These stages have the following profiles:

9 flat stages
1 hilly stage
9 mountain stages including 4 summit finishes (Andorre Arcalis, Mont Ventoux, Finhaut-Emosson et Saint-Gervaix Mont Blanc)
2 individual time trial stages
2 rest days​

Soldato
Froome's the best TTer and climber of the GT bunch so it's safe to say he was happy either way!

Decent amount of track racing on live this week with the London Six Day and Manchester Revolution both on Eurosport. Plenty more entertainment than a snoozy GT flat stage. :D

Soldato
Shame for Dumoulin that it's so seemingly climber focused. No cobbles is a shame as well.

Annoyingly had been given free tickets for the London Six Day, but job interview prep meant I had to miss it :(

Apparently Tom's implied on Dutch TV that he wouldn't be doing the tour anyway to focus on the Olympic TT. Giro/Vuelta maybe?

Seen some of the six day on ES, does seem like the sort of thing that's much better experienced in person.

Back
Top Bottom