Pro Cycling Thread 2023

Soldato
Super Cav! I am so happy to read this on the Beeb. I've been hoping for this for years without a doubt my favourite Sportsman of the last 20 years. So pleased for him.

The HTC days were some of my favourite years watching the Tour and this is just magic.

Last edited:
Soldato
His chain had come off just before the line, with the derailleur bouncing about.

Just watching the analysis here on Danish TV and they showed it zoomed in.

Soldato
Yeah, it was almost anticlimactic as it seemed too easy!
I was waiting for the race to explode and he just seemed to waft casually to the front and blown them all away with ease (obviously it was anything but). I’m always stunned at the powers of recovery these guys have, yesterday Cav slogged over the mountains at a speed that would destroy most people (even if he is a snail by pro standards) and and then he has to find that effort in his legs today and then go again tomorrow the tour is such an epic challenge!

Soldato
OP
He has a habit of winning streaks and his confidence will be through the roof after that!
Definitely, and the fact phillepson crashed two days ago and he made up no ground in that sprint will push him forward no end. It would not surprise me if he ends on 38,just a shame we have no champs finish this year because he'd be winning it after today!

Soldato
Definitely, and the fact phillepson crashed two days ago and he made up no ground in that sprint will push him forward no end. It would not surprise me if he ends on 38,just a shame we have no champs finish this year because he'd be winning it after today!
Maybe he’ll go another year to get the Paris send off!

Soldato
I doubt it. Sounds like he has barely seen his family this year to prepare for this. I imagine that he has a deal with them that this really is the last one.

That's what I picked up a lot on the Netflix documentary about him, and the TdF ones. It seems like he really neglected his family to chase this goal.

I'm not sure if it was a loaded part in the final scene of the documentary where he's asked if he'll enter another Tour (this one), and he's just zoned out thinking, all while his kid is reaching out for him, and he's totally oblivious. I thought that was quite a visual metaphor for his last few years.

Just how I saw it anyway.

Reactions: fez

fez

fez

Caporegime
"I said 'mate, if you win this stage just drop your bike and walk away' - but he was like, 'If I win the first one, I'll want to win more'. So he’s definitely going to hang around, isn't he."

Fingers crossed he can add a few more stage wins this year.

Back
Top Bottom