Project Bentley

Had a phone call from Gary earlier, as he'd been down to look at the car now that the final paint job is in progress. It's looking pretty damned good apparently :)

Another quick tease:

Getting there, now. Not had the final cut back yet. I love the way she looks on that middle shot myself - this car should look unbelievably good when she's done.

The car should be done by Wednesday, all being well. Going to hopefully start re-assembling her next Saturday. If we can get to the weather-proof stage before close of play on Sat (glass and associated trim in), I'll consider that a win. We've got some work to do on the rear bumper (drivers side end cap mainly, but needs some work on the main bumper as well still), I need to sort a minor wiring snafu in the left-rear door (window switch not working, and I should probably haul the console back again to do a final fix on a few things in there. Oh, and I might (read: almost certainly) need to have the drivers seat half apart to get at the control box, since the battery in it might have (read: almost certainly has) quit.

Hope the heatwave Burton is getting at the moment holds for a while longer. I've had my fill of working on this car in bitterly cold, wet, miserable weather. Another run of that and I may have a psychotic break.

*twitch*

She's going home later today. Guess I know what I'm doing on Saturday, now....best start getting all the drawings together for how everything fits back on the car!

Cheers Rilot. Will be taking photos as I go with the re-assembling, planning on taking some at similar angles to the 'before' shots so it's easier to see the improvements made.

Stuff to put back on:

Radiator shell
Cowl vents
Wipers
Door cards
Door cappings
Windows
Wing mirrors
Seals
Trim
Rear bumper

New stuff:

Headlamps
Winged 'B' mascot

Fixed stuff:

Front badge
Headlamp surrounds

And no garage to do it all in, or even a carport to shelter under! I'm going to be pretty hacked off if I have to do all this in the rain, given that the last week or two has been pretty damned good around here :o

And no garage to do it all in, or even a carport to shelter under! I'm going to be pretty hacked off if I have to do all this in the rain, given that the last week or two has been pretty damned good around here :o

It does look like they've made a good job of the paint and it'll look very impressive when you're done.

As for the shelter issue, could you not put up a gazebo or something for the short term just to make it slightly better if it's raining?

re: cover from the weather - the driveway that the car is now sat on (home at last!*) is a bit difficult to shelter. I'm sure we could do it, somehow. But the mechanics of it are beyond my feeble brain at the moment. Car is underneath its own cover now anyway, so if it rains before I can get to it to sort the glass out she'll be fine.

* - 'at last' is about right. Looking at the dates I posted on in this thread, the car hasn't even had windows in since April!

Tum tee tum tee tum....

Tum tiddly tee....

Tum tee tum tee tum....

Tum tee diddly doo....

:D

Not quite as much of a pain in the arse as we expected....

So far, it seems like the rear window at least runs smoother in its channel than before. Front one needs to wear the seal in to be entirely smooth. Interior is abso-bloody-lutely filthy, desperately needs a good valeting!

Going to do the other side tomorrow morning. Both Gary and I are pretty much wiped out now, and I'm not sure we'd make a very good job of it if we pushed on today. I thought about just getting the glass in place and worrying about the tensioning tomorrow, but **** it - quitting while we're ahead. Will post more photos tomorrow when we get after it again.

And she's weather-proof again, for the first time since ******* April.

Just to highlight some of the formerly grotty bits -

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

icon14.gif

Oh look. Headlamps.

Got to replace one bulb (inboard, drivers side). Either it blew when I switched the lights on today, or it was already blown. Either way, it's on the list of jobs. Also got some new number plates ordered, since these old ones are a bit cacked up.

Back
Top Bottom