Project - Blueboy - Watercooled Lian Li v2000

Soldato
OP
Big thank you to Gregor at EK, came through with my block. Epic block is Epic!! :eek::D:D
ek6990straight.jpg

ek6990angled1.jpg

ek6990angled3.jpg

ek6990angled2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Build is going well, not sure I can fit a dual loop in as it is so am looking into modding the front drive bay holder. Got both rad stands in the bottom with some enthusiastic power filing. Hope to get some more pictures up tonight.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Everything is in and leak testing. I'll post the pics up tomorrow. Here's the new full spec of the loop.

Ek Supreme hf full nickel
Ek fc6900 nickel plexi
Hwlabs sr1-420
Thermochill pa140.3
2x Phobya 420 rad stands
2x D5 Vario with ek xtop v2
2x ek multi res 250
8x TFC 3/4od compressions
4x 90 degree rotaries
2x koolance 10mm extenders
4m primochill primoflex lrt clear
Ek koolant uv blue
3x Gelid wing 14 uv blue
3x Yate loon d14sl uv blue

Soldato
OP
Here are the rads, on the left is the SR1-420 which will be for the cpu and on the right the Thermochill PA140.3 for the 6990.
rads1.jpg

rads2.jpg

The pa140.3 is slightly longer and thicker thant the sr1
rads3.jpg

Tools ready
toolsf.jpg

Positioning the first set of rad blocks, you can see where i had to power file the front of the case to fit the front rad in
radblocks1.jpg

Add rad stand
radblocks2.jpg

and second one finished, space at the rear is for the psu.
radblocks4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Started out by cutting the holes in the midplate using a 64mm hole cutter, the d5 body is about 60mm so it gives me a bit of play should i need it. I piloted the holes first with a 3mm bit then used the hole cutter
holecutter.jpg

First one done
holes1.jpg

and the second
holes2.jpg

Pumps in
holes3.jpg

fully mocked up
pumps1.jpg

Tubed up the cpu loop first as the sr1 rad is at the back, had to drop a fan on the rad though to route the tubing, doesn't seem to have afected my cpu temps much as it's getting decent airflow from the front rad anyway.. Using the pumps and res' like this helped keep the loops simpler, which was handy as i used around 3m of hose.
cpuloop.jpg

Got the pa140.3 in and fitted the gelid wings using the suplied self tappers
build1.jpg

Here's the original loop, i went back to the drawing board as i wasn't happy with the tubing.
firstloop.jpg

Close up of the pumps
pumps2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The fan on the 6990 was a pita to remove, the thermal tape was very sticky and made a worrying sound when when it finally came unstuck, everything was ok though. Stock thermal paste was very dry as well.

Naked 6990 with new thermal pads
6990r.jpg

Very pleased with the results
69902.jpg

69901.jpg

69903j.jpg

Fingerprints :p
69904.jpg

Soldato
OP
Used a couple of 90 degree brackets to fix the pumps, thankfully not getting any case rattle from them.
pumpmounts.jpg

After some thinking i decided to change the loop slightly, drilling a couple of 25mm holes in the midplate to take the outlet pipes from the cpu and gpu to the rads.
finalloop.jpg

Cpu filled
filling1.jpg

Probably the best moment for me was seeing the blue coolant hit the gpu block :cool:
6990liquid.jpg

Filled loops under uv led flexlight, still a lot of little bubbles left. The coolant has a slight viscosity to it, bit thicker than water.
finalloop1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have seen D5s to have pump tops with built in res tops!
But it doesn't look good as separate top & res IMO.

How are you going to place the PSU?

The psu will be inverted in the rear section of the bottom of the case, so the power cable will come straight out the bottom. Going to make some blocks for it this week.

Soldato
OP
Becasue of the res/pump position i had to mod my hard drive bays so i could use it vertically instead of horizontal.
hdd2g.jpg

I decided to remove the fan as airflow was good in the bays anyway. I'm thinking of just all bezel for the front now and getting an external dvd drive.
hdd3.jpg

Soldato
OP
Fired up heaven and ran for around 50 minutes, the temperature difference compared to the stock cooler on the 6990 is pretty big. Stock fan idle was around 45 and at load it peaked at 86. Under water the cores hit maximums for 38 (gpu1) and 41 (gpu2). Cpu didn't go above 50 degrees not 100% usage though :)
6990uv1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My leak cherry is no more. Woke up to a small blue puddle under the pc, thankfully it was easy to spot where it had come from using a uv light. The xtop was guilty and a quick check in the box and doh! hadn't put the O ring in! pulled it all out and cleaned her up, fitted the O ring and now all is well.

Been ridiculously busy at work and renovating to get much done this week although i seem to find the time to play bf3 :p

Soldato
OP
Sold my x58 kit and moving to x79 with a 3930k, msi x79a gd65, 16gb samsung green and a 256gb corsair performance pro. Will post some pics of the rebuild. Picked up the lga-2011 add on and easy mount for the supreme hf, hopefully get some of the build done in the next few days.

Soldato
OP
Ok got everything up and running on air, ram was a bit fiddly to get into the slots being so low in height. Very pleased so far, os and maybe a loop strip down tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your comments, I'm probably going to redo the loop and go big single loop. I'll get more pics up when I get some time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom