Project: Garage Office/Workshop Thread

Soldato
It all looks good, but i would also sit by the window, no way i could sit facing the wall all day long.

My office is in 1 of my spare bedrooms and i sit facing the window, to get the nice views over the mountains while i work, so much more inspiring than a plain office wall.

Soldato
OP
You might find it more comfortable if you face the window to avoid reflections on the monitors.

Thanks, I did consider facing that way, but like it this way. No glare yet, but am planning to fit a blind. Sun doesn't directly shine through that window until the end of the day.

Fixings:
If the heater is wider than the vertical stud uprights you could fix a piece of wood horizontally with it mounted to the vertical stud supports. Use a piece of wood large enough to accommodate the heater bracket height. If the bracket doesn't span the width of the vertical studs then you could fix the bracket on one side through the horizontal piece of wood and vertical stud.

Alternatively you could buy some cuttable raw plug type fixing lengths and attach to an outside wall as long as it's not over tightened to crush the plasterboard. Ideally at least one side of the bracket should be screwed through a vertical upright to avoid crushing the plasterboard.

If the heater isn't too heavy you could also use metal anchor fixings that grip the back of the plasterboard.

Only just fitted this today. I had some of the screw in plasterboard fixings already, and with the heater not being too heavy I gave them a go. Seems to have held well, but I used different screws in the metal screw in plugs as the ones provided are too long, and once they get to the end of the plug, they start to turn it and widen the hole... Can't understand why they provide screws too long unless what you are fixing is quite thick. The metal plate for the heater is only a couple of mm thick. Anyway its on the wall now and seems solid so will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

TV:
You'd be better off fixing that to the end wall so you can swivel to one side to watch it and not have to fit it so high up since it wouldn't be that far away from you.

I've not done anymore about the TV yet, but as I put a socket for it up above where my desk is, I'll probably still go for there. I will get a mount that allows it to tilt downwards so I can see it . To be honest it will only be used rarely, perhaps to glance at F1 Practice Sessions, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Other than use the room for work, I've not really done much else. It's been really nice to use these past few weeks and much nicer than sitting in a bare/cold garage. It's been a real luxury and a good place to be.

I have however wall mounted the Wi-Fi heater:
y4moFYsLxlBiCTfT60gtrpCsOydoO-Bw4W8BG7yIwbt_RTeWp2ecf1ancmgB8nBmlzbS-iAc8agKiqIQGYNAc2nSaPGs0HZvL0XPi_Xxmz2xyfVnkUFQ0vDFl6IODmzoC5EMBbIk4MxaVae3dx7qE-Nm7OQGT1Z1lBYBGGZX9SoLszCxasx5mJLmtCgq-d-GRyl

Only wall mounted it and wired it up today. It seems to heat the room up quickly, but I've not done the CAT6 termination/Cable from the house/Wi-Fi AP yet, so ned to turn it on at the switch, which I can just about cope with!

I have also fitted a third monitor which I got from work, but its a slightly newer model and marginally smaller than the current ones, so I'm gonna need to change it and then finalise the cabling so it is tidier.

y4mhP0N-SrMZI4BjiSmiW8TenENZAgXLEOb9tUBt7RXxBknk2uNouXOOkBcfb-87ty5GuvMHYfbkDJEihglz0Cw4eZgroYiwzHgPiYKKxzForsBWNIVNZUeB1aX85QAviOoOuHg3rBnE0PW9M2jbzrTs4x7bz1ufHJL9FIgJZkCsSNoRhgYirFaV_C3OLiZfZMV

The room itself is pretty much finished, but is looking a bit bare.... I'm planning to install a few floating shelves and maybe a Kallax unit and/or some under desk drawers to store stuff in.

y4mOcnZVeXpPV-v7b63KNLDvoPldcx5K-G1o0gFCgWAJZYiD0vy8_mSRH7Zs35_pPaGaUaTWN-ywQ8QbpYiT2eYxguPC8hGJLA8sHfe-q0J8Icvr-eVGHnDS1NG0gnYgkYj3MVx0NeV0UgWKDzi-ehVjMH_dgoXcV2b-LE94kJseLxR8HP8K45c-i4HBDbwDNOO

y4mgNgg2FP256CsPhEtH9r2FLvWlxweXdgozR1-WgwWDKSptRWwqh05kljdrnKzZwp8LZFBLLqzu4Xfz8ITFdFbtHmp1SiSaiRWMpt0L1Y3ZvXSPhw4TFmCh1mAxM-DpU4KcJKBXNmaeH_pw0N_Upiw5FgPx8W8J7ahoI2hRtxSY8jPIzso-bSHl1BQfzc7nELN

So, still some more to do, but I'm gonna try and focus on getting the garage side finished now:
  • Plasterboard garage side wall (hopefully next weekend)
  • Fit Architrave/Skirting to garage side wall (have some left over)
  • Maybe tape and join or just paint the walls... Not sure yet
  • Re-instate some workbenches
  • Tidy and put up some shelves/racking for storage
Misc jobs:
  • Finish terminating the CAT6 in the cabinet (currently using a Powerline Adapter which is fine for work)
  • Run direct burial CAT6 cable from house to Garage network cabinet
  • Install and setup POE Switch
  • Terminal CAT6 and plug into ceiling mounted AP
  • Potentially mount a TV above desk...

Soldato
OP
Looks great but as you say needs some personality adding, get some pictures on the walls or add a splash of colour.

Yep, once the garage side is done I'll look to putting up some pictures and some floating shelves for my Lego cars, etc. May also get a peg board to hang some stuff off of and also a plant or 2. I have 0 skills in deciding on things like that, so will get the Mrs to decide on that. I'm very minimalist!

Soldato
OP
It is loking like a very good use of space! Did you end up finding a way to affix your DPM?

In the end I put some CT1 Hybrid sealant on the back of the DPM, then pushed it on to wall and re-gorilla taped it. It's still up as far as I know so have tried to forget about it.

In hindsight I probably should have pinned it to the wall with some batten, but I was concerned if the wall got wet it would rust the nail/track along it and through the DPM. Probably better/proper ways to achieve it, but I'm an amateur with little experience!

Associate
Having worked at home for the past 7 years, I would find that office way too sterile. You need a lot more stimulus in there, plants, pictures, books, TV, music. I also face the wall and have no problem with it (my window is on my left). I do enjoy having a hifi in my office and play music / listen to streaming radio between meetings. I have a TV which often streams BBC news (with subtitles). Overall you have done a really nice job, but remember the 20/20/20 rule - every 20 minutes you should try and look at something at least 20m away for at least 20 seconds. Every 2 hours you should get up from your desk and walk around for 5-10 minutes. YMMV

Soldato
Looking very nice, how are you finding that heater and may I ask what model it is?

I've got a small electric fan heater in my office which I've been meaning to replace for ages but never got around to it.

Soldato
OP
Having worked at home for the past 7 years, I would find that office way too sterile. You need a lot more stimulus in there, plants, pictures, books, TV, music. I also face the wall and have no problem with it (my window is on my left). I do enjoy having a hifi in my office and play music / listen to streaming radio between meetings. I have a TV which often streams BBC news (with subtitles). Overall you have done a really nice job, but remember the 20/20/20 rule - every 20 minutes you should try and look at something at least 20m away for at least 20 seconds. Every 2 hours you should get up from your desk and walk around for 5-10 minutes. YMMV

Thanks for the tips, all sound advice. I do use my Bluetooth headphones for music most of the day, but plan to address the other points to make it a nicer place to be once I finish the garage side.

Soldato
OP
Looking very nice, how are you finding that heater and may I ask what model it is?

I've got a small electric fan heater in my office which I've been meaning to replace for ages but never got around to it.

Hi, the heater is an Adax WiFi heater (https://adax-solaire.co.uk/product/adax-neo-wifi-electric-convection-radiator-panel-heater/).

Works well, gets the room up to temp quickly and the insulation keeps it in there. Very pleased with it. It's the 1000w model. I used to use a 2000w Oil filled heater in wheels that was also pretty good, but this one consumes less electric and doesn't take up floor space.

I got mine second hand off of eBay, as they are quite expensive new. I paid about £70 for mine and is in perfect condition. Also offers WiFi connectivity so you can turn it on remotely and set schedules, etc.

Soldato
Hi, the heater is an Adax WiFi heater (https://adax-solaire.co.uk/product/adax-neo-wifi-electric-convection-radiator-panel-heater/).

Works well, gets the room up to temp quickly and the insulation keeps it in there. Very pleased with it. It's the 1000w model. I used to use a 2000w Oil filled heater in wheels that was also pretty good, but this one consumes less electric and doesn't take up floor space.

I got mine second hand off of eBay, as they are quite expensive new. I paid about £70 for mine and is in perfect condition. Also offers WiFi connectivity so you can turn it on remotely and set schedules, etc.
Thanks! :)

Soldato
Love this thread.

I'll be converting my entire garage into a room. You have given me much to think about.

how much did this all cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Soldato
OP
Love this thread.

I'll be converting my entire garage into a room. You have given me much to think about.

how much did this all cost you if you don't mind me asking?
I still need to total it up, but as I did it all myself and my brother, all the costs were in materials.

If you have any questions, give me a shout. I did lots of research before starting and during.

Soldato
I still need to total it up, but as I did it all myself and my brother, all the costs were in materials.

If you have any questions, give me a shout. I did lots of research before starting and during.
I have a house brick exterior and breeze block inside my garage. So I presume I can get away with minimal insulation.
I was hoping to put up insulated plasterboard on the inside and have it skimmed.
Sockets on wall mounted unsung boxes.

Any reason why I can't do the above?

Soldato
OP
I have a house brick exterior and breeze block inside my garage. So I presume I can get away with minimal insulation.
I was hoping to put up insulated plasterboard on the inside and have it skimmed.
Sockets on wall mounted unsung boxes.

Any reason why I can't do the above?
Hi, so are you saying it's double skinned with a cavity? Any sides of the garage on the house side? If so they will probably already be insulated... Some pics would help.

Associate
Your post has been a great help during my planning stage and i keep coming back to see how you did certain parts

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom