Project: ケイ - Watercooled Threadripper

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Never really got on with intel. Last intel cpu i had was a socket 7 P166 without MMX. I've umm'd and ah'd about it for a few years, same story with moving from ati to nvidia. I never manage it, although i came very close to getting a GTX570 in 2011 which would have been my first non ati card since my 3dfx voodoo 3.

Associate
I've never tried intel either. Just CPU wise intel seems better currently. I hope that all changes though! Competition from AMD is nothing but good news for us consumers.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
I've finally got around to removing the fan speed alarm from the enermax fan controller. It's only been annoying me for the last 8 years. :D I can finally drop the fan speed below 1000rpm and still have peace & quiet.
IMG_1046_zps3bfa7907.jpg

Been looking at more options regarding the radiators and think i might be able to keep all 6 hard drives. The enermax fan controller came with drive rails that allow a hard drive to be fitted behind it. I could then add a 2x 5.25" backplane that gives me 3 drives up top too meaning i could loose the 4 from the bays below and fit another 240/280mm rad. Problem then is finding somewhere to put the pump/res.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Distilled water and about 10% saab/GM antifreeze. Without the lights it has very little apparent colour. I used it as i had some spare and it has strong corrosion inhibitors and a lubricant for the pump. (plus it's long life so in principal should last a minimum of 2 years)

This is the concentrate before it gets watered down.
IMG_1052_zps0510ff2f.jpg

You can just about get the colour with the blue led, but it really seems to go green once it's mixed into the system.
IMG_1056_zpsfe0dc1ff.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
I've decided to try and squeeze the double 240mm radiators in. I've now bought an alphacool XT45 240mm radiator which i intend to put in the top and loose the EX to the bottom. (its going to be a tight fit up top) I've also got myself some 45 and 90 degree fittings which will help and also a pair of scythe AP-15's.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
:eek: Proof that my mathematical ability is somewhat poor. I really should double check myself before i start typing this stuff. (just redone my calculations and it comes out to 7:1 like you said, can't even remember what I did to get 72:1)

I've sorted out the hard disks now. Taken 3 out, the two small ones have been ghosted onto the 250GB drive and the 200GB drive is now in an external caddy. I've just got the 640GB, 500GB and the 250GB which i put into the 5.25" bay using a set of rails. Still haven't got a clue where i am going to put the pump/res once i fit the bottom 240mm radiator, which should be arriving tomorrow :D
IMG_1067_zps1c462ff9.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Can I ask why you need so many hard drives? Wouldn't it make sense to buy a 3TB disk and put all of the data onto that? Makes it easier to backup and also takes up a lot less space!

Otherwise, nice clean build actually. I am getting so jealous of all these custom loops, but I just can't afford it :( air cooling will have to do for me atm.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
All the new fittings have had their threads treated with PTFE tape.
IMG_1077_zpsadb6c56d.jpg

I've swapped the xspc EX over with the alphacool. The XT45 is a very tight fit in the top of the case. All I have left to sort out is the tubing and the location of the pump/res. One minor cockup on my part is that the barbs for the bottom rad need spacers in order for an angle fitting to clear the fans so I've had to fit standard barbs for now.
IMG_1078_zps4b101def.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Duh :o I've only gone and done it now. (why the hell didn't I think of that?) Lucky I haven't filled it yet though. Do you reckon I should swap it around?
IMG_1081_zps79b92699.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
You were right, much neater the other way. (not like i had to use more tubing) It was nice and easy to turn around and i was glad i hadn't filled it. Going to start the filling/bleeding/leak testing in a minute.
IMG_1089_zps10025bee.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
OP
Cheers. :) Bleeding is taking forever. Don't think I'm going to manage to finish it tonight. No leaks anywhere which is a good sign though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom