Project "Paint it Black"

Soldato
Kaap. Why 4 x 290x for 1600p?

I suppose if you like yo bench then fine. But just for games it's OTT.

my Xfire setup owns all games at 1600p

Associate
Benching fun.:)

I warn you, 99% of the games don't have a proper QuadFire profile.

I'm really tired of all the testings because I can't run my games with 4 x 290x. The games are crashing or closing by themselves. Or sometime they just decide to get into windowed mode so only a single card end up being utilized.

Trifire seems fine so far.

Man of Honour
OP
I warn you, 99% of the games don't have a proper QuadFire profile.

I'm really tired of all the testings because I can't run my games with 4 x 290x. The games are crashing or closing by themselves. Or sometime they just decide to get into windowed mode so only a single card end up being utilized.

Trifire seems fine so far.

That's one of the reasons I like using the RIVE mobo's, if you don't need all the cards you can just turn them off on the mobo.

I saw some of your posts for your quadfire setup (very nice too) but you have not posted anything lately.

I thought that quadfire support had improved lately with the arrival of the HD 7990 but if it is still poor it may get better with all the people using their cards for mining as well. I won't be using mine for mining though.

Associate
I don't mine at all. And QuadFire HD 7970 was more than fine on my rig, its a whole new story now with Quad R9 290x. The odd thing is that Trifire is without issue so far.

Holidays was very time consuming for me and my new family (3 months old boy). But since the begginning of the week I have been doing many tests to narrow down the issue.

I'm not sure if its drivers. I have tried many things, I can't wait for you to finish your rig so you can start testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Suddenly this case is not looking so roomy with four GPUs in it.:D

9jmp.jpg

One problem I have just found is with these AMD cards there is less clearance under them which means I can not use the connectors on the bottom of the motherboard where the forth card sits. It is not a major problem as when I get the cards on water there will be room to use the connectors again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Has it been powered up yet? Still waiting for some decent feedback about the RIVBE
Very much looking forward to your results from this ;)

Not powered up yet, I have just found another little problem. Before I started this project I already owned one Corsair 1200i PSU and blue sleeved cables, so I just ordered another 1200i and another set of blue sleeved cables. The problem is in the time between me buying the two PSUs, corsair have changed the shade of blue of their sleeved cables and worse still no longer include the 24 pin mobo connector. I have just been online ordering some more sleeved cables and I am not too pleased with Corsair - how many shades of blue do they need for sleeved cable kits and also why don't they include the 24 pin connector anymore.

Associate
The problem is in the time between me buying the two PSUs, corsair have changed the shade of blue of their sleeved cables and worse still no longer include the 24 pin mobo connector. I have just been online ordering some more sleeved cables and I am not too pleased with Corsair - how many shades of blue do they need for sleeved cable kits and also why don't they include the 24 pin connector anymore.

They don't seem to be able to settle on a pinout for their PSUs, so I guess it makes the packaging of their aftermarket cables simpler (and more profitable!).

Man of Honour
OP
Well I got it running

itqz.jpg

But there are a few problems, my 3970X really does not like the board so I will change it for my 4930k and hope that goes better.

There are some other problems as well like CCC and GPU Tweak with four cards does not work very well together and there are also driver problems too but the first job (when I am off work next) will be to change the CPU, my 4930k is brand new and unused so I hope it goes better than the 3970X.

Soldato
Well I got it running

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/3452/itqz.jpg[IMG]

But there are a few problems, my 3970X really does not like the board so I will change it for my 4930k and hope that goes better.

There are some other problems as well like CCC and [U][I][B][SIZE="6"]GPU Tweak[/SIZE][/B][/I][/U] with four cards does not work very well together and there are also driver problems too but the first job (when I am off work next) will be to change the CPU, my 4930k is brand new and unused so I hope it goes better than the 3970X.[/QUOTE]

You don't say?! :p

Bin GPU Tweak, breakout MSI or EVGA alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom