Project "Paint it Black"

Associate
Good to see it up and running - shame about the problems though. Strange that it's a struggle getting the 3970X above 4.5, hopefully the 4930K will clock much better.

And the 900D is very roomy isn't it? :D That's why I decided to have a tube reservoir in mine instead of a bay res - my MVIE would seem too lonely otherwise :)

Man of Honour
OP
Good to see it up and running - shame about the problems though. Strange that it's a struggle getting the 3970X above 4.5, hopefully the 4930K will clock much better.

And the 900D is very roomy isn't it? :D That's why I decided to have a tube reservoir in mine instead of a bay res - my MVIE would seem too lonely otherwise :)

I have found the CPU (3970X) will overclock normally to 4.9ghz if I am using just 3 cards but as soon as I turn the 4th card on the CPU becomes unstable even at stock clocks. Hopefully the 4930k will be made of tougher stuff.:D

Soldato
As I say in the ask 8-pack thread I'd be happy to send you my 1500W Enermax just so you can rule out any problems with the Corsair. It's just sitting here at the moment. Was keeping it as a spare.

Man of Honour
I have found the CPU (3970X) will overclock normally to 4.9ghz if I am using just 3 cards but as soon as I turn the 4th card on the CPU becomes unstable even at stock clocks. Hopefully the 4930k will be made of tougher stuff.:D

Have you supplied extra power to the board with EZ_PLUG?

Associate

Kaapstad, I have exactly the same issues right now

Check here

Hey man, thanks for your interest.

I have some issues lately that i'm trying to find out. The problem is, I can run my QuadFire just fine when CPU and memory are running at stock but as soon as I try to OC the CPU or memory, even if its only 4.1 Ghz on the CPU and stock (1333mhz) on the memory, I get crash in games.

I can run 4.6Ghz CPU and 2133Mhz memory with 3 cards just fine, but I think QuadFire is not stable when I OC the CPU. I really don't know what the problem is. I tried to change Motherboard BIOS, update drivers and everything. I tried every possible UEFI settings.

I don't understand why QuadFire will work stable when the system is at stock but games crash when I OC just a little.

I suspect the new crossfire technology but I don't see anyone yet with Quad R9 290x so its hard to diagnose those problems when you are alone in the boat.

EDIT: I noticed even CPU at stock with Quad is not stable and crashing the games.
:'(

Its maybe a driver issue but if you try your 4930k It would be great since it was on my hypothesis list.

By the way, the thread about my issue is at Anandtech. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2353407&page=11

We need to stay in contact since being two with that issue will have more weight on AMD.

I will start making some bug reports today. I suspect drivers. ( I suspect drivers because I can run 3dmark as long as I want with Quad and Oced CPU, like if AMD only cared about 3dmark benchmarks result for Quad)

I even tried 2600Watts of power well balanced accross all rails and PSUs with no luck. Its not a power issue.

P1010763_zpsc3b29ee5.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
wow ^ do you have a project log ?

I have a project log for Quad Damage Version 1.0 over at OCN ( :( ) with Quad HD 7970

But I didn't do any for my Quad Damage version 2.90x. I just have my thread at Anandtech. You can find a couple of pictures over there.

I will make a video soon of the whole setup.

Associate
I have a project log for Quad Damage Version 1.0 over at OCN ( :( ) with Quad HD 7970

But I didn't do any for my Quad Damage version 2.90x. I just have my thread at Anandtech. You can find a couple of pictures over there.

I will make a video soon of the whole setup.

Can you link it please ? :)

Man of Honour
OP
Kaapstad, I have exactly the same issues right now

Check here

Its maybe a driver issue but if you try your 4930k It would be great since it was on my hypothesis list.

By the way, the thread about my issue is at Anandtech. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2353407&page=11

We need to stay in contact since being two with that issue will have more weight on AMD.

I will start making some bug reports today. I suspect drivers. ( I suspect drivers because I can run 3dmark as long as I want with Quad and Oced CPU, like if AMD only cared about 3dmark benchmarks result for Quad)

I even tried 2600Watts of power well balanced accross all rails and PSUs with no luck. Its not a power issue.

P1010763_zpsc3b29ee5.jpg

I am starting to think it is definately a CPU problem, I even had the system crash @stock when i was loading windows for the first time. The first copy of windows I tried would not install at all quoting Hardware problems. The second copy of windows I used came with service pack 1 and I just about managed to get it installed.

I think the problem with the CPU may be a bit like trying to run with a lot of ram at a good clock, some CPUs don't have a strong IMC and just can not do it.

I know 8 Pack has benched four 290Xs but iirc he used an IB-E CPU which may be a bit stronger when running 4 cards.

Back
Top Bottom