Project:- R3s

Wish my HAF 922 had this kind of cable management, looks awesome

Are there any other upgrades you plan to get?

Proper sleeving maybe?!:p

Also, have a look in my wanted thread when you can :)

I plan on upgrading the gpu to something around the power of a 6950 or higher, and I definitely want orange and white sleeving :D

will do :)

so I decided to move my rig into the r3 and have it on air for a bit until I get all my watercooling stuff and a new graphics card, since I had to remove my 460 to send off to cleeecooo :) so here are some pics of the rig :D

cooler installed by Kieran Horne, on Flickr

motherboard installed by Kieran Horne, on Flickr

ready to plug in cables by Kieran Horne, on Flickr

rig done :D

1st boot by Kieran Horne, on Flickr

I was bored after finishing my english prelim today, so I decided to draw up a plan of my proposed watercooling loop, here it is:

watercooling plans by Kieran Horne, on Flickr

bought myself a 5870 :D but I need some help deciding whether to:

A) use my current ek xt360 rad

or

B) buy a thick 360mm rad, like the phobya g-changer 360 or the ek xtx 360

what do you guys think? I will be selling most of my spare stuff to fund the watercooling etc in this build, and to fit a 360mm rad in the front I'll be cutting the bottom of the 5.25" bays. also thinking of getting an aquaero 5 lt as my fan controller and maybe four scythe gt's

Nice looking build! I saw you're planning to watercool in the R3? I've done this in the past (back on air for the time being) and so can offer a few tips. Whether or not you take them on board is up to you, as it was my first time watercooling:

1. I attempted to fit a rad on the top. It was also the thinnest rad around at the time (forgot the model, but i think it was 26mm). The rad itself fit fine, however the mounting holes at the top of the R3 made things really awkward. so i recommend that you take a look and see if they will line up before you buy. Otherwise you may have to hack into the case to make it secure (like i did :p)

2. Once again the rad fit fine. However i also wanted my fans on the inside. I went for alpenfohn wing boost fans, which turned out to be a bit too wide. (obstructed the RAM slots on my mobo) so i had to mount them on the outside of the case (looked ugly).

3. I actually mounted a res/pump combo on one of the hdd bays and it worked really well. (one of theswiftech 18w pumps with tops). However i did this because i needed the drive bays for blu-ray and card readers etc. Your idea of putting them in the bays is better (and will be more convenient), but again, something to think about.

4. As you probably know, thin rads require high air flow thorugh the fins to be effective. My fans were noisy with the overclock on (x6 @ 4.00). But your cpu will run cooler, so you may not have this issue.

5. i had to cut into the drive bays in my build, it was a right PITA, but its do-able. Putting that extra rad by the intake fans would be really great, so i recommend it if you can do it. the extra rad would also eliminate point 4 tbh.

Anyway, really glad to see someone else doing this :) will keep an eye on the thread for updates!

thanks for the input ifb :D think I'll only use a thick 360 rad in the front with good fans and have the pump and res seperate, but mounted to the rad, saving space and making the tubing look cleaner in the process :p

Back
Top Bottom