Project Rainbow (ITX)

Soldato
OP
Thank you. the plan was to go for something super colourful, I did have a fruit flavored sweet theme in mind but not sure if I'll go through with it yet. I need to find a sticker/transfer maker if I do.

I think its going to be a Marmite build once it's done but I just wanted something a bit cheerful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So in a further attempt to increase air flow into the case I decided to put some kind of venting into the front panel.

I really like the look of the Parvum cases with the aggressive angles and venting cut outs so wanted to do something similar.

I started out by measuring the front panel and drawing the pattern.

0IMLt5F.jpg

Then used the drawing to make a template.

u6dD3T4.jpg

After finishing the template I made a test cut on a scrape of MDF and realized that It wasn't going to work how I'd intended with the Parvum design.
Because I wanted to keep the round at the ends of the lines rather than finish with straight corners the pattern didn't look right. I think rounded ends will suit the Metis case better with its curved edges.

CnmBzTA.jpg

So I went back and adjusted the template then cut a few more designs. I wanted to keep the slanted look but also wanted to keep it simple.

Tqb2pKj.jpg

Decided I liked this one the best.

ub1yXdA.jpg

Next I made a cradle to hold the front panel to the template.

xRrmEvT.jpg

The template rides on a pin on the bed of the OHR the same as when I cut out the fan circles. I could adjust the width of the cut by using different sized cutters.

4TGE5Vw.jpg

Taking shallow passes and using plenty of wd40 as lube I made the first cuts.

f45dAMZ.jpg

With the first set of grooves cut I started on the second set.

tlPAzHW.jpg

And with both finished.

gmnJM6E.jpg

This is how the case is looking now.

yPPG9Te.jpg

ZGFaKAp.jpg

More to follow :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I made a start on the cable sleeving today, man is that a tedious task!

FqFAtJi.jpg

Just got to get hold of some cable combs. I've laced the cables in the past but I really like the look of the combs at the moment so I think I'll go with them.

2xBJoFU.jpg

Still got the 24 pin to do and it's causing issues as for some reason a few of the connectors have double wires going to them, not seen this before any one know why it is?

Associate
Still got the 24 pin to do and it's causing issues as for some reason a few of the connectors have double wires going to them, not seen this before any one know why it is?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's because PSU manufacturers hate us.

Either that, or it's for cost reasons - presumably it's cheaper to double up some wires in the cables rather than increasing the complexity of the traces on the boards inside the PSU.

I've got the same problem - my PSU has a 10-pin and 18-pin connector going to the 24-pin connector. Some pins on the 24-pin are fed by double wires, from both the 10- and 18-pin connectors.

My solution was to make up a short (5-10cm ish) version of the 10- & 18- to 24- pin connector without sleeving and then a proper 24-pin to 24-pin extension with the sleeving I want. I'm not very good at crimping at the best of times, and crimping 2 wires into a single pin was a right pain.

Soldato
OP
Yeah same problem, Mine has a 10 + 17 pin going to the 24 connection which strangely only has 23 pins???

Unfortunately knowing how tight for space it's going to be in this case I doubt I'll have room for any extension cables, think I'm going to struggle with what I've got already.

I've sleeved the 24 pin now I just had to add a bit of heat shrink onto the double wired pins. It's not looking great at the moment but hopefully once it's in the case and has the cable combs holding it in position it will look okay.

Soldato
Silverstone PSUs are the closest to a proper 1:1 pin out on the 24 pin as you'll get. Sometimes there's a double wire for Vdroop sensing but it can be taken out. Sometimes the wires do a weird crossover thing which gives you a twist in the middle, but there's never any of this 18-pin and 10-pin insanity that others seem to fixate on. Especially Corsair and EVGA.

Soldato
OP
I've been away for a few days so not had a chance to get much done to the build but I did manage to cut the grooves into the inside of the case front which I'll be adding the mesh to later.

Same process as before, using a pin on the over head router.

gh12niD.jpg

I should have cut the larger grooves before the smaller ones as you get a lot of burrs but I was unsure of the design at first.

YBFJn1S.jpg

Thankfully the burrs clean off easily with a file.

kOwnoeb.jpg

Next job is to cut the mesh to fit.

Soldato
OP
I got hold of some cable combs but because of the extra wiring on the 24 pin cable They didn't work out how I was hoping, Also because the wiring doubles up and crosses over in a few places I found the combs would not stay in place.

So for the 24 pin I've reverted back to cable lacing but this time used the same paracord rather than the usual 1mm nylon I've used before. I wanted a chunkier look this time.

It's certainly not as neat as I would have liked but I'm not sure how much will be on show until I start the build. In the past I've laced extension cables which has worked out much better but I just don't think I'll have the room in this build to use them.

xg0gD1Y.jpg

Soldato
OP
Got the mesh cut for the front panel.

Cutting it to width on the band saw was easiest.

pFOt4aA.jpg

Then I rounded the ends over to match the grooves.

UFROtZT.jpg

One down.

eWc028U.jpg

The mesh is a tight fit into the grooves so I don't think they will need much to hold them in place.

VzQBvNz.jpg

Last one, I just used masking tape to mark the cut line.

vkb4AvN.jpg

Having never done any thing like this before I'm pretty pleased with the results.
On hindsight I should have cut the grove slightly deeper to bring the mesh closer to the front but I don't think it looks bad as it is.

nfGEAX6.jpg

uOqt4qK.jpg

The case is starting to take shape now.

I'm hoping to get some deals in the black Friday sales so I can get this done before Christmas.
Unfortunately It's a bad time to start a new build what with RAM, GPU and SSD pricing going through the roof. I've already gone well over budget with all the little modifications to the case but its all fun.

Hopefully more to come soon.

Soldato
OP
Front grille looks great, very neatly done. What did you use to attach the mesh, some kind of adhesive?

Thank you.

The mesh is just a pressure fit at the moment. I might add a bit of adhesive later but they are such a tight fit they hold themselves in place pretty well. Should only need a drop of glue if any at all.

Very Nice :)

cheers :)

Soldato
OP
Dare away I'm all for constructive criticism.

I did have a look into some designed guards but they where expensive and a little garish.

I might get some 1mm aluminium and make some to match the front grooves.
The main reason I went for these ones are because they restrict air flow the least.

Soldato
I like this and love the use of the machinery to get the best finish. :cool: (I have a laser cutter but would love a CNC too if i had the money/room.)

With regards to the guard i agree with the above but also know its the best airflow wise. How about a raised piece similar to the front? So similar design to the front grill but mounted on stand offs on the 8 fan bolt holes? So you get the look and then an air gap all the way around for less restriction? That could look smart. Looks good in my head anyway. :D:o

Soldato
OP
That's a good idea I know what you mean. I could raise it up on some motherboard stand offs or similar to help with air flow.

You've got me thinking now :)

I don't dislike the current guards but I think something a bit "prettier" could be made.

Back
Top Bottom