Project Rainbow (ITX)

Soldato
I surprised myself to be fair, i might use it for the wooden laser cut case i'm making for the rad box part of it. :D

I know what you mean though, they definitely do the best job but to me looks wise they remind me of cutting the grills out my Juno XP case and fitting them to it to increase the airflow to my Athlon XP 1900. :D You could spray them white i guess? That would make them stand out less.

Soldato
That's a good idea I know what you mean. I could raise it up on some motherboard stand offs or similar to help with air flow.

You've got me thinking now :)

I don't dislike the current guards but I think something a bit "prettier" could be made.

Exactly. Although they work, they don't "look as nice" The rainbow bolts are fine but the grills themselves, just don't tie into the rest of the build IMO.

Soldato
Dare away I'm all for constructive criticism.

I did have a look into some designed guards but they where expensive and a little garish.

I might get some 1mm aluminium and make some to match the front grooves.
The main reason I went for these ones are because they restrict air flow the least.

Could you maybe just spray the guards white or possibly go for the bare metal finish? I think it is the colour of them rather than the design as such.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I see what you mean, with them being black there is to much of a contrast.

I might have a go a spraying them white, they should blend in a lot better.

I'm also chucking some ideas around for some inserts but it's quite a lot of work.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Soldato
OP
I wanted to add a little height to the case again to try and improve air flow through the bottom but also so I can hopefully get rid of the internal power cord and plug directly into the PSU.

The standard Metis feet are only around 6mm tall which means there is no room for the power cord to plug into the psu. Instead an extra internal power cord fits to the PSU then runs to the back of the case.

I started by turning some Maple feet.

7N0VI8g.jpg

I didn't want any thing to ornate or complicated so just went with a simple taper and I love Maple wood.

Y5lBk0s.jpg

I had some left over anodized washers from another mod so added them to the bottom.

M59PCYj.jpg

Nothing overly complicated about fixing them in place I just used screws through the exciting feet holes.

48BN4cl.jpg

And how they look fitted. With the case the right way up you can only really see the red washers, you have to get right down level with the case to see the wood which was kind of what I was after, just a subtle hint of wood.

9kBp4Sd.jpg

And in some exciting news....This happened!

6Fx2hMe.jpg

my wallet said ouch!

Soldato
OP
Cheers.

I've been mega busy again over the past few weeks so not had the chance to get much done.

I tried fitting the radiator and unfortunately it didn't fit where I needed it to go, It is a lot bigger than I was expecting. So I had to butcher the back of the case some more.

It's a six port rad and the blanking plugs where hitting against the case pushing it off line.
I'm going to run a fill/drain port out of the rear of the case so needed the rad to be in the right position. I also needed it to go as low to the bottom of the case as possible to give clearance for the GPU.

66Fb3mx.jpg

So I pretty much had to hack the entire rear fan space away.

s6lXnni.jpg

So these ports weren't hitting the case. I also had to adjust some of the mounting points for the sides and bottom of the case as they where obstructing the rad.

9orWtPG.jpg

It was a total PITA and took a lot longer than I had anticipated. I just hope it all fits as it should when I come to build it.

I covered up the mess with some edging to try and tidy it up a bit. Hopefully once the proper fan and tubing is in it wont look to bad.

wfmhC1d.jpg

Soldato
OP
I decided to wrap the case. I didn't want to paint it as I wanted something easily changed.

I was looking into a pearl effect white which I ordered but when it came it was ivory white so in the end I used white carbon as I had loads left over from another job.

first job was to strip every thing apart.

2jQl6Zl.jpg

Front panel was first up

i1CUorS.jpg

pretty happy with how it came out.

e7yFRij.jpg

next up was the top of the case. Just using a new Stanley blade to cut out.

4gp98Xv.jpg

All done.

VPBKe8D.jpg

5U4D6pK.jpg

I also wrapped the side panel and bottom of the case.

afyEKEB.jpg

I really like the textured look of the carbon and its a much "brighter" white than the stock paint colour which was an off white.

UAfHiax.jpg

next up was fixing the mesh in place.

DyDpaZP.jpg

I just used a couple of dobs of solder as the mesh was a tight fit any way.

4YreNlV.jpg

Just got to get a new Raijintek sticker, having a hard time finding one though :(

phIVpRU.jpg

and the side panel with the acrylic fixed in place.

DThi5g2.jpg

It's getting there now.

Soldato
OP
So carrying on from the discussion about the fan guards I came up with a design I liked and set to work!

Started off with an MDF template

yBmHozI.jpg

From there I did a test cut to make sure it all lined up and worked out okay.

fqB637g.jpg

Back to the over head router to start cutting the acrylic.

vhDD04e.jpg

I cut the external diameter first then started on the grooves.

Z4WjJxH.jpg

First one nearly complete.

zBlt6qv.jpg

Once all the grooves where cut I then cut a rebate around the edge of the outer diameter.

UOmXf1b.jpg

The rebate was the exact diameter of the fan holes I cut into the top of the case earlier in the build.

OWSyEGp.jpg

Both of them machined.

GYWF3Lk.jpg

Next was to wrap them, I had my complementary pack of Haribo on hand also :)

5R7s9ZS.jpg

All wrapped up

zCUSBex.jpg

And with them fitted to the case. They just drop into place and are a pressure fit.

BBoiJNa.jpg

Good thing about them being inserts is I can rotate them or remove them completely for cleaning very easily, they just lift right out again.

hnIp7ps.jpg

cQZRMEr.jpg

J9Eao4W.jpg

I think they suit the style of the case much batter than the original black guards. cheers for all the suggestions and feed back guys. Hopefully you like them as much as I do.

The case is pretty much complete, few more things to do but I can start putting together the rig now.....EXCITED!!! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers Darren :)

I'm wanting to add some RGB lighting to the case and not sure whether to go with fans or light strips.

It looks like strips will be a lot cheaper?

Can any one recommend some RGB fans that dont cost the earth?

Associate
Cheapest RGB Fan £10.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-vegas-7-multi-changeable-led-fan-120mm-fg-07b-ak.htm

VEGAS X7 RGB LED FAN - 120MM £12.95 For Asrock, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte motherboards
Stock code FG-07C-AK

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-vegas-x7-rgb-led-fan-120mm-fg-07c-ak.html

VEGAS MBW MAGNETIC LED STRIP LIGHT - 50CM
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-vegas-mbw-magnetic-led-strip-light-50cm-cm-03j-ak.html

Almost all of the Case you find not MAGNETIC So will need sticky pads /Double-sided Tape

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you, appreciate the comment :)

As for fans I think I'll go with the Raijintek Iris triple pack. They seem to tick all the boxes and aren't mega expensive, any one have them?

I know if I spend any more money on this build a divorce is coming!

Associate
Yeah I looked into those ones too but I prefer the look of the iris ones.

oh the decisions :)
Yep, They PWM Also :)
So full control over the fans,
Also to note with the "Asrock ITX AM4 Motherboard" Not good with 3 pin fans, Only really compatible with 4 pin fans to control the RPM,
CPU header & Ch Fan 1 Header Only can control the RPM with PWN Fans, Ch fan 2 header will adjust 3 PIN But Don't detect the 3 Pin fans RPM Correctly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom