Project: Scorpidian (Corsair Obsidian 800D)

Soldato
Nice work!

If i could be bothered to remove everything from my MM H2g0 (and if i could let it go :D) i'd seriously consider one of those 800D's.

Looking forward to seeing this progress! :)

gt

Associate
OP
looks good so far :)

I see you still have a use for your COD1 box. legendary game!

Yup! That's about all I'll use it for too :p I played it not long ago after playing modern warfare 2 just to remind myself of the original... it was painful! Trust me, if you have the game in your head and you can remember it, leave it in your memories where it was good! Playing it again just ruins it :(

Associate
OP
Got some new stuff today, pictures below:

sdc10086cl.jpg

Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W

sdc10091.jpg

sdc10092.jpg

AKASA Apache Black

sdc10095.jpg

Enermax TWISTER Everest

sdc10093n.jpg

More pictures to come, I gotta go and revise for a test now, I'll update with some more stuff later :).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Any chance you can post your opinion on the AKASA Apache Black fans when you get them installed, i was thinking about getting a couple myself :)

Well, I tested them earlier, at low RPM they are dead silent, can't hear them at all. With the fan controller, if you turned it all the way down the fan actually switched off, which I thought was really cool - I'm guessing that's a feature of the fan.

It looks sleek and mean at the same time.

Once you bump up the RPM it starts to become louder, but not excessively loud. Overall I would say it's a brilliant fan.

The only 'downer' is that it uses the new 4 pin connector. This is ok for plugging into a mobo that supports it, but as for a fan controller like mine, which only has 3 pins, only some of the fan controller sockets were available as the extra pin on the connector got in the way of the capacitors on the controller. - Just something to bare in mind.

Associate
Thanks for the swift reply chap. Shame about the fan crontroller issues, i was planning to get a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Black eventually to controle them all. Fingers crossed that the capacitors.

Can you not get an adapter to change a 4 pin pmw fan into a normal 3 pin one?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the swift reply chap. Shame about the fan crontroller issues, i was planning to get a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Black eventually to controle them all. Fingers crossed that the capacitors.

Can you not get an adapter to change a 4 pin pmw fan into a normal 3 pin one?

I think you can yes... because also bare in mind that the extension cables only allow a 3 pin connector, so the extention cables won't be compatible either. I've got the Zalman controller you want so I'll test/upload pictures for you either tonight or tomorrow. I'm revising for an exam whilst tidying my room as well with all the boxers and stuff everywhere lol If I get time I'll try for tonight though.

Associate
oh yea, didn't think about that tbh... looks like a will need a few adapters then. Thanks pal, no rush tho. I got revision to get done for the good old uni also, but i live with it seems student finance is also financing my little PC upgrade ;)

Associate
OP
oh yea, didn't think about that tbh... looks like a will need a few adapters then. Thanks pal, no rush tho. I got revision to get done for the good old uni also, but i live with it seems student finance is also financing my little PC upgrade ;)

Here is the back of the Zalman fan controller, a 4pin PWM should fit fine on any of the sockets.

sdc10103.jpg

If you have trouble with the extension cables you can always 'modify' them like I did...

sdc10106x.jpg

Associate
OP
Fittings arrived today, I have 2 more Bitspower 45 degree on order, however they aren't in stock at the moment.

sdc10101k.jpg

For all you Bitspower fan boys!..

sdc10100e.jpg

Don't see what the big fuss is about Bitspower really... It is a rotary fitting with a logo on it... that's about it :p

Associate
OP
I've updated the specs list, have ordered a few new things including a fan controller, as my old one broke. I have also ordered some more Akasa AK-FN058 Apache Black Super Silent 120mm Fan - 4 Pin PWM as I was very impressed with the first one I ordered.

I am away to scan the Samsung SpinPoint F3 EcoGreen 2TB for bad sectors, as well as to give it a test, I shall report back probably next year as it will take that long to scan the thing! The most I have scanned is a 640GB disk and that took half a day, I dread to think how long this one is going to take lol :eek:

Associate
Thanks for the photos, i found them quite useful. Now...if only OCUK had them in stock :p.
Good to see you've ordered more fans, give me some faith in the two i have on there way :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the photos, i found them quite useful. Now...if only OCUK had them in stock :p.
Good to see you've ordered more fans, give me some faith in the two i have on there way :)

They are brilliant, the only downer is that I wish it came with a 4-3pin fan adapater.

Associate
OP
Well I scanned the drive for errors - not a single one. Copying files across to it now, and what can I say.. WOW this thing is quiet. You can't hear a thing, it doesn't hum which used to annoy me with my other drive, it doesn't seem to click much either. It also runs relatively cool. I will post some benchies up shortly, although I wouldn't expect much as it is merely a storage drive and operates at 5900rpm. As for reliability I can't comment as I have only had it for one day, but so far so good!

EDIT: Results:

HD Tune

hdtune2tb.jpg

HD Tach

hdtach2tb.jpg

As you'd expect really. Good performance first part of the drive, then slows down towards the end, not bad though considering it's a 2TB drive. Also have to remember it's at 5900RPM, quite good if you ask me :).

For a storage drive it's ideal. Wouldn't use it for a boot drive, although I think that's pretty obvious :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom