Project; Turbo GSXR Slingshot

Associate
OP
Haha, heard so many stories about that bike!

Apparently Guy changed the crank sensor when it wouldn't run properly, it was using a gsxr 1000 one and he put the standard one on. Never worked properly from that point.

Associate
OP
Its wasnt running properly, the crank sensor was changed and its didnt run properly ?

Not sure I would trust that guy

I'm only passing on what I heard but I think the quick disconnect fuel fitting didn't flow enough fuel and that was the underlying issue.
However, once the crank sensor was changed for one that didn't work properly with the ecu they were looking everywhere else for a fault they'd caused and were now overlooking. They could fix the original fault but would still be left with an incorrect crank sensor.

Associate
OP
Owen developments turned out to be a waste of my time, so much for the recommendation.
Gave me a report with a list of what needed replacing but said you can't get bits anymore and recommended a gt30 replacement, different flanges and a £1500 price tag.

So I got them to return my turbo bits and set about sourcing replacement parts myself.
I was told to call Dave Dunlop who actually turbos loads of bikes, I've seen plenty of his work and followed projects that go through his workshop so I gave him a call.

Nicest guy you could talk to and isn't afraid to point out your errors and send you off in the right direction armed with a little more knowledge and a 'keep me up to date'. He's followed the build to a certain degree as well so knew the bike, who'd worked on it, and the direction I needed to go.

So a call to Universal Turbos on the monday morning seen my turbo bits collected by courier a few hours later. Next day they had the turbo, has assesed it and of course it could be rebuilt, I mentioned that Dave thought it might need a compressor upgrade so they took some details of the bike and worked it out.

1 week later I had the call that it was fine in the current trim and still had some headroom above the 250bhp that the bike could potentially make. It would be built later that day and shipped to me that evening. Money changed hands and sure enough it got delivered at 7.30am the next day.

Got a few final bits to tidy on the loom and also need to open up the oil feed to the turbo as per Daves instructions then I can get it fitted and fire it up again.
The TT will delay me for a few days but once I'm back this is number 1 in the shed.

Associate
Looks stunning in those pictures above! I take it this log is posted on numerous other sites or is Dave also a PC enthusiast? :p

Associate
OP
Haha, Dave was recommended off the OSS site, he may also be a pc enthusiast but mainly I think he likes bikes, preferably with turbos hanging off them!

Associate
OP
Its in, had to mill a bit of excess off the bottom of the turbine housing so it cleared the alternator but other than that it went straight in.

The flange isn't threaded so it needed longer bolts and nuts but the gaskets I bought ages ago fit this housing so its worked out nicely.

Also drilled the oil restrictir out to 1.25mm

Finished the loom up, its a little messy but it works. If I've ever got too many hours to kill I might make another but do it a little differently.

Primed the turbo with oil and cranked it over a few times to make sure I had oil getting to and*returning from the turbo.

Started on the button and idled lovely, just ran it for a few mins to warm it up and get some oil through the turbo.

Rev counter on the clocks doesn't work so I need to look a little deeper into that.

Clip ons are drawn up and were on the mill earlier, once they're done it'll be a test fit then anodise those and the yokes. Or MOT then anodise, depends how it falls and if there's an MOT slot available.

Exciting times but I'm trying not to rush things and make a mistake.

Associate
OP
Should get some miles on it this year, its the closest to an MOT its ever been.

Clip ons are done

Fit nicely and not too chunky which is nice.
Just bolt holes to drill and tap but they should be sorted and back from anodising on Thursday.

Need to clean the bike up a bit as its suffered a bit of overspray from another project but it should be ready to bolt together once the yokes etc get back from anodising.

Associate
OP
Day late with the anodising this week so they'll be back Friday.

Got the adjustable linkages fitted, gone for 5mm longer than the dog bones that were in just to drop it a little.

Been on the lookout for a matching radial clutch master but could never find one for a reasonable price. Went all out and bought these to compliment the yokes and clip ons.

Associate
OP
Its at 190bhp now but that was with the worn turbo.
The timing has also been pulled quite a bit and asking around I'll be fine with standard timing. Pulling ignition timing kills turbo speed apparently so there's more to come but its good for now.

I'd like to see over 200bhp obviously, I think 230-240bhp is within easy reach.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
If it hits 240bhp or more, that'll be a nice result. What sort of wet weight it'll be do you reckon? GSXR's are generally really light, but I'm guessing all the mods you did do add a bit of weight, right?

Anyway, I've subbed this thread some time ago, I'm waiting impatiently for the end result. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea it's a nice amount of power for a road bike. Standard gsxr 1100W is around 220kg so they're not that light, lost a lot of weight off the wheels and using an earlier frame so would be interesting to see how much it does weigh fully fuelled. It feels lighter than the standard one.

It's not a real bike unless it wheelies right? I prefere 2 wheels on the ground though, maybe I'm boring like that...

MOT is booked for 8am saturday, going to be a busy Friday night.

Associate
OP
No anodised parts on a Friday makes me unhappy.

Probably won't see them until Tueday now, cancelled the MOT and I'll try and get it in at my usual place. Not booking anything until the parts are back.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the lack of updates, busy times and a broken phone mean forums have to wait until I have time in the evening.

Anodising came back Wednesday anyway, pulled a late one in the shed Wednesday night and got it all back together.

MOT is booked for tomorrow so a quick shakedown tonight was in order. Had done a couple of miles back and forth when everything died about 1.5 miles from home. Pushed it to a gateway and set about calling the girlfriend, using an old phone though so have no numbers stored! Managed to get hold of a mate from an old text so while she drove out I did what I could with a 4mm allen key and a stick.

Seats off and tail section off and a blown fuse was to blame, had me bricking it for a while though!

Turns out the new ECU is wired through the same fuse that feeds the kill switch, start button and starter relay and unlike like the old one it pulls all its power through that. 15a isn't enough...

The clutch was dragging a bit so bled that when I finally got home.

New master cylinders are a dream, bled straight up and instantly got a good firm brake lever.

Not really gave it a handful as my rev counter is all over the place but the first time it came on boost it caught me out and nearly had me off the back, this bike is going to be so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom