Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

If the builder had been honest and upfront then perhaps Kai would be more likely to accept budget overrun. However, trust has clearly been lost.

The flip side is that the industry is full of cowboys and dodgy people, so you sort of have to accept it to some degree. It's par for the course, if he was a better professional perhaps the original quote might have been double the price.

I fully agree with this statement. If we encountered issues along the way and it was made clear upfront that these were outside the scope and would incur an additional cost of £"X" if you wanted them addressed, then we could have proceeded accordingly. Not complete it' then say oh' that thing i did 6 months ago - you now owe this. i.e. an example he provided was toothing in brickwork from the old to new extension work ( i didnt request this) ; he apparently did not factor in the quote for this as it took 1/2 day more but the brick-layers went ahead and done it as they considered it the correct way and the proper way to finish tie in.

One professional did quote more than double the price we went with' but we also did not settle for the cheapest and actually went mid-range with someone who provided a solid reference.

Things are starting to come together, and the end goal is in sight. We finally had our glass installed Friday for the staircase. If we can get our front doors this week, we will move in on the weekend. Things look great from a distance, but I feel the snagger is going to find lots of fault.

First impression's looks great.
qLXQTiV.png

Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but there are endless snag's i am spotting myself already: example: the old radiator bracket holes have been left in the wall, making it impossible for the painter to paint behind it and the brackets have not been fitted correctly; can litterally rock the radaitor back and fourth.

UJqkUqn.png
mtIcZaN.png

Again, maybe i am being pedantic and expecting perfection but rooms that are finished having finishes like this;that are brand new doors and hinges. It's items are that are very easily fixable but it just screams of no care or attention. In fairness; i did show these to the developer and he said it's not good enough and has no excuse.

CVaVqE9.png

Last edited:
Part of the issue with trades now, they deem a lot someone elses issue. Eg "I am a plumber paid to fit a new rad, not make good the old damage thats a decorators job" unless you specifically make it part of the job
Its why the order is critical and it sounds like the builder isn't managing that well.

BUT, it looks awesome.
I would snag simple inexcusable items like the missing screws. But just be realistic, finding a perfect tradie is nigh on impossible, its why so many of us prefer DIY.
Its all about bish bosh thats £3k please mate for trades now.

Part of the issue with trades now, they deem a lot someone elses issue. Eg "I am a plumber paid to fit a new rad, not make good the old damage thats a decorators job" unless you specifically make it part of the job
Its why the order is critical and it sounds like the builder isn't managing that well.

BUT, it looks awesome.
I would snag simple inexcusable items like the missing screws. But just be realistic, finding a perfect tradie is nigh on impossible, its why so many of us prefer DIY.
Its all about bish bosh thats £3k please mate for trades now.
Someone said this to me the other day. You have to essentially expect sub-par workmanship from 99% of them, it's a bonus if you get a good job done. Not sure I agree entirely but it's not far off the mark.

Regarding snagging, personally, I would consider this the contingency/overspend aspect of the project. I'd get the list done but pay someone else to do the work. Not ideal but gets this builder away from your house.

Reactions: kai
How could he when there is a dab of paint on a hinge and two holes that need plugging!!!11

Disagree. The fit, finish, and attention to detail makes all the difference.

What makes it worse/annoying is when that dab of paint could have been wiped off in a split second. It shows no respect for the job or the customer. Sadly though, this seems to be the norm.

Having said that, trying to look at the positives is obviously going to be a good approach. Put it in the past etc, hence why I reckon getting someone else in to do the snagging (plus some DIY) is a good middle-ground.

Last edited:
Disagree. The fit, finish, and attention to detail makes all the difference.

What makes it worse/annoying is when that dab of paint could have been wiped off in a split second. It shows no respect for the job or the customer.

Having said that, trying to look at the positives is obviously going to be a good approach. Put it in the past etc, hence why I reckon getting someone else in to do the snagging (plus some DIY) is a good middle-ground.
Ah yeah but customers need to realise the builder wasn't assembling a Lego kit. You could look at the some of the snags on my work and comment on how easily it would have been to fix it whilst I was midjob but that ignores the human element of being exhausted, thinking about 30 other things, etc etc...

Ah yeah but customers need to realise the builder wasn't assembling a Lego kit. You could look at the some of the snags on my work and comment on how easily it would have been to fix it whilst I was midjob but that ignores the human element of being exhausted, thinking about 30 other things, etc etc...
Agreed but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Do you leave jobs for your work customers in a similar state?

They've hidden that pipework boxing fairly well to be honest it isn't as Noticeable as id expect.

Yes I'd be a bit frustrated about the other stuff, it's not a great standard and would be easily avoided....

Reactions: kai
I think its less about the paint on the hinge and more about the 2 missing screws....

It's just more general care and attention all round and gave these as examples. At the moment, we have so many snag's. This evening we come home tonight to find our floor thresholds 4 inches away from doors downstairs! (also the colour match appears is not great but that can be easily changed). Every single threshold is different. Different sides, under or like this one not even close!

0jDVOWT.png

That one looks like the floorer had assumed door this side of the jams, so assume the door wasn't fitted when the floors were laid?
Thats bad project management, or rather trades management.

Correct like 6 weeks apart plus because of poor project management. They are now on about putting frames inside of frames as a solution and dropping doors down (ordering new) from 34' inches doors to 30. Otherwise to correct the entire downstairs entry would need to come out (being a major job)

Back
Top Bottom