Project: Was supposed to be a budget build...

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

Received the Corsair AX1500i. Tested and working great. No coil whine. The problem however, it doesn't fit the case!

IX1iZgT.jpg

Additionally the bracket to support the other end only goes unto 220mm.

So...

A quick fix to sort the above problem out

NgnGxRe.jpg

and simply removing the screws from the bracket and allowing it to sit freely (but firmly) solved the problems

Dp8jUmU.jpg

lLyUvyO.jpg

The best thing, this PSU has also reduced the coil whine from the Graphics cards too. Well anything under 300 fps. Anything over it starts again. Testing 3D Mark 03 some of the tests reached 4000 fps which caused the highest pitched coil whine I've ever heard.

Gaming though will be mostly under 200 fps so there won't be any coil whine at all. Unfortunately with the Corsair AX1200i I got coil whine with the graphics cards the entire time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
UPDATE:

Monitor arrived today

sy9KBVY.jpg

Quick setup

thmcxwk.jpg

BzhSp19.jpg

And a quick comparison next to my Dell 5k 27 inch monitor. Great to see exactly the same vertical dimensions. Nothing on the net was totally clear about this.

0ATv01D.jpg

A quick check for dead pixels resulted in a 100% dead pixel free display.

Just finished testing the back light bleed now, It seems to be more inline with IPS glow which is normal. In any case this photo looks a lot worse that what it actually looks like, plus I don't use the computer in the dark, so it is 100% unnoticeable. Overall I'm very happy with this monitor and glad I won't need to be returning it. (Seen a lot of posts about people sending this and the ACER X34A back.)

fHAiopx.jpg

Just waiting on 2 more sleeved cables (the 24 pin I bought was too short) and the new EK GTX 1080 ti water blocks with back plates. Oh and Alphacool 17w thermal pads to finish this build. It should all be arriving by the end of the week.

Associate
OP
r
...turns round and drops £800 on just a cpu :D

It was originally £445 for the 5.0ghz, then I read most get there, so thought, ok, i'll go the 5.1 pre bin for £599, and then lots of horror stories about bad performing ones and improperly delidded , so paid an extra £200 to get 8 pack to do a custom build, test and optimise to ensure I'd get a decent one without doing an RMA process. Worked out in the end, but as always the cost kept going up :)

Associate
OP
Update:

Graphics Water Blocks arrived, as did the 17w Thermal pads.

I have now added the blocks and routed them into the system. It is currently undergoing a Blitz 2nd stage for 24 hours before the loop is finally complete. Still waiting on 2 cables to complete the system. Will hopefully get those on Tuesday now unless they are lost in the post....

Graphics Card read for disassembly :)

cAoJco8.jpg

Heat sink off and cleaned

bL4e7Yb.jpg

Thermal Pads and a generous amount of Thermal Grizzly Paste added

HU3PQL3.jpg

Water Block Attached

aoohcj8.jpg

8oIrQdA.jpg

And Now ready to be added to the system

9TFp6BC.jpg

First Tube added

cypYyCv.jpg

Quickly tested and managed to sustain a 3D Mark Time Spy Score of 10086 (also managed a 10105, but iGPU was on) Temp never rose above 32C and sustained a 2101 mhz at +200 +500 using MSI afterburner. I have seen it go up to 2114 however it crashes passed +200.

Prior to water cooling the cards, the max I could get was brief peaks of 2050 mhz at +175 in Time Spy. with a score in the low 9000s. Temps would be hitting 70C+ with fans on 100%

KqRbsdr.png

With the quick test out the way, the PC is now going through a 24 hour Blitz stage 2 before I will consider the setup complete (minus 2 cables which seem to have gotten lost in the post.)

CAPjEty.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update:

Well 24 hours have passed. The system was drained resulting in a blue tinted waste:

099bbpo.jpg

Before flushing the system twice with distilled water I wanted to touch upon a piece of tubing I was unhappy with. I made it in haste as it was close to 4 am the other day and have since made a much better version of it.

Old version

2ccsPRU.jpg

New Version

O28xaaB.jpg

Side by side:

D0mcm7h.jpg

New Version installed

H52a0be.jpg

Associate
OP
With the system flushed twice with distilled water, and drained for the final time, it was finally time to add the Ice Dragon Coolant

RBscWKi.jpg

mXuTzxv.jpg

Associate
OP
And Finally (minus a longer 24 pin cable and Sata cable I am still waiting on)

The project is finished

Back

xexxczf.jpg

Front

hiCpbOU.jpg

Final Look

9jDwugb.jpg

FAdCUyl.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Associate
This should win an award at the end of the year - the "that really escalated quickly" award!

e31.jpg

Back
Top Bottom