Project : Zotac ITX Rebox

Associate
OP
Very nice :) May I ask how you made the strip heater?

The strip heater is very simple . It's just a length of NiChrome wire , 24swg is about right , mounted on a base . You need some way of keeping the wire under tension as it expands when it heats up . I made the tensioning bolt thingys but just a simple spring or a bit of bungee cord would do the same thing . My one runs of a 30V 2A transformer . If you look at the picture you can see the wire is longer than I need , this extra bit lets you adjust the temperature by varying the length of the wire with the electrical connector .

20111124_172938.jpg

Looks really good.

You mention there is no space but what if you used some thing like a slot-loading drive:
http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/products/bluraydrivesnotebooks/bc5640h.html

The size seems quite small (128 mm x 12.7 mm x 129 mm) and with this I think it could improve this amazing build! (not that there much room for improvement!!)

I think you might be on to something :) I had thought about a slim odd but if I put it under the mobo there is no room for the hdd . Then I realised there is room to mount the hdd on the side of the case internal .

Loving this thread btw great work.

I have a similar blu ray drive in an external caddy.
Why not make a matching external caddy for a slim optical drive?

I really like this idea .... sort of a stacking set of itx cases :D Now how to power the external drive ?

Associate
I really like this idea .... sort of a stacking set of itx cases :D Now how to power the external drive ?

Well with my caddy it uses 2 USB: 1 for power and 1 for Data.
A quick google for USB 2.0 Laptop CD ROM DVD RW Drive External Caddy Case comes up with what is used, ive seen the adapters about but not sure if they come with the cables needed.

Hope it helps and keep it the work it really is good stuff.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
lets keep all buying talk down please.

the project is superb.
however:
if the OP decides to sell these via the forums, he must do so via the members market.

in order to keep our forums safe for trading and protect our members, I ask please to keep the talk of buying anything in the MM.

any further suggestions will be removed.

to the OP, Great looking project. very imaginative. If you decide to sell these via the forums, then doing so via the members market would be fine.

any cases sold via the mm must be made before listing and not made to order.

I am getting clarification on this now

Associate
OP

the project is superb.
however:
if the OP decides to sell these via the forums, he must do so via the members market.

in order to keep our forums safe for trading and protect our members, I ask please to keep the talk of buying anything in the MM.

to the OP, Great looking project. very imaginative. If you decide to sell these via the forums, then doing so via the members market would be fine.

Thanks rjkoneill for a very reasonable approach to this :)

Although I didn't start out with the idea of selling them and I've been careful not to say it out right it's pretty obvious where this is going.

All I need to do now is double my post count in the next couple of months :)

Associate
OP
Also interested in buying one. How long do you think one would take to make once you have it all down?

TBH it all comes down to the cost of the laser cutting . I need to make the cover and then I can send a set of drawings off for pricing . Sort of aiming for early next year :)

The case looks so sleek and stylish,Can't wait to see this finished keep up the great work!

Thanks Tokin :)

Associate
OP
Well with my caddy it uses 2 USB: 1 for power and 1 for Data.
A quick google for USB 2.0 Laptop CD ROM DVD RW Drive External Caddy Case comes up with what is used, ive seen the adapters about but not sure if they come with the cables needed.

Hope it helps and keep it the work it really is good stuff.

Thanks Barrybear I definitely going to look into this :D

Associate
OP
Well I've been working on the cover today . I've got the main part of it sorted out .

20111213_155224.jpg

I can get a fit that I'm happy with cutting it on the table saw . I'm hopeful that it will be ok with the laser cut ones as it needs to be pretty accurate to get a good fit .

Just the ventilation to work out now and I can send drawings of to the laser cutters :)

Permabanned
Can we buy them?!
I would love to have 1 or 2 of those under my TV :)

READ!!!!

the project is superb.
however:

TA :o

Back
Top Bottom