PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Associate
I'm glad I haven't even opened my PS4 yet. I'd want to buy one of these 2TB drives and use it from the get-go. Though would I still need to do that update stuff?

Soldato
separate disk is this?

Samsung Seagate HN-M201RAD Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM

external is this the right one?

STEA2000400

Last edited:
Caporegime
Samsung working on a 4TB EVO SSD for early next year, might mean a price drop on the 2TB SSD as well. Would love to have either of those in my PS4 :p

really?

Personally I would avoid a 4TB at all costs because the ps4 falls apart when you use one. Then there is the fact SSD's don't work with the ps4 either (they slow down the longer they are used) so that would be a double fail.

Rest mode becomes completely unusable, etc with anything over 2TB and it causes other bugs too.

2TB is the max limit of the PS4. Which is why mine has a 2TB 7200rpm hybrid drive.

I get the speed of 7200rpm drive large spindle mechanical and the boost of a 8GB SSD cache for frequently used items. Therefore it's the fastest internal drive you can use in a PS4.

Soldato
What do you mean by 'slow down the longer they are used' Sonny?

I'm thinking that if I ever get a PS4 it'll either be a 7200RPM HDD but if SSD's are cheap enough by then (500GB+) then i'll get one of those instead.

i have an old PS3 with a SSD in it and it's made one hell of a difference both in games and in dashboard performance.

Soldato
I load into maps 5-6 seconds faster than anyone else so in battlefield I always get a tank. In destiny I have already gotten all the bounties by the time everyone else loads in.

Are you the only one in the world with the fastest drive or something:confused:, so they didn't put the waiting clock in the ps4 version like they did with the pc version to stop this.

Soldato
It will in your library. It can be downloaded at any time providing you have an active ps plus account.

As Soulja said, I think Sony completey removed it so even though it shows in your library it may not download again. Mine is already installed and don't want to delete it just to test this theory. I too backed up my games including PT to an external hdd just in case.

It's like the whole Flappy Bird saga when it was removed from the Apple Store. If you want to keep PT I would recommend using the backup facility and include your games files along with save games etc

Soldato
As Soulja said, I think Sony completey removed it so even though it shows in your library it may not download again. Mine is already installed and don't want to delete it just to test this theory. I too backed up my games including PT to an external hdd just in case.

It's like the whole Flappy Bird saga when it was removed from the Apple Store. If you want to keep PT I would recommend using the backup facility and include your games files along with save games etc

I deleted it some time ago and re-downloaded it last week to show a friend. Maybe installing a new drive is different but it was fine for me only last week.

Don
Rest mode becomes completely unusable, etc with anything over 2TB and it causes other bugs too.

2TB is the max limit of the PS4. Which is why mine has a 2TB 7200rpm hybrid drive.

2TB is likely not a hardware limit, it's likely that as soon as bigger 2.5" drives are available, firmware will be released fixing any issues (in the same way firmware was released when 2TB 2.5" drives started becoming a common upgrade option). Why would Sony bother to fix issues with drives (3TB+) that are only available via a third party addon.

Are you the only one in the world with the fastest drive or something:confused:, so they didn't put the waiting clock in the ps4 version like they did with the pc version to stop this.

Nope - just another case of PJR (Purchase Justification Reflex), due to other people having 2TB drives that are 99% as quick and yet don't have a giant wart hanging of the side of their PS4's.

Caporegime
What do you mean by 'slow down the longer they are used' Sonny?

I'm thinking that if I ever get a PS4 it'll either be a 7200RPM HDD but if SSD's are cheap enough by then (500GB+) then i'll get one of those instead.

i have an old PS3 with a SSD in it and it's made one hell of a difference both in games and in dashboard performance.

SSD's require trim support without it the longer they are used the more they slow down.

so SSD's are basically a no go in a console.

i had to buy a special add on to fit my 3.5" drive. so i'm not the only one in the world but there's probably only a handful of us. i could have chucked a velociraptor in it to be fair now that would have been even faster but only 300GB.

my console is out of sight so I never see it. even if you could see it i would never look at it anyway. all my games are digital bar 1 or 2 that i never play.

i use the nyko data bank plus 3.5" 7200rpm mechanical drive cost about £100 all in for both delivered. it adds a inch or so to the smaller half of the console on top so the width is the same the height is taller on one side

Soldato
Just had to start deleting games to make room for new ones, so time to replace my 500gb original.

Reserved one of the external Seagate drives linked to above. Can I back up my original drive to this, then just swap it over? Is it that simple?

Soldato
backup to your external drive, then to your pc, and then swap hdd's....reinstal afterwards with your ps4 in enclosure as external back to your ps4....hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom