PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Soldato
Sonny i have had this drive in my PS4 since launch day with no problems. Never last one in game no slow downs or anything, and for the record your comparing a 2.5inch drive to a 3.5 inch which will not fit in a PS4 so theres no point in posting links to it.

as for loading in to destiny before others thats down to a few factors a couple been if your the fireteam leader and what your internet connection is which i no your on fiber which no all of us are

Last edited:
Soldato
Sonny i have had this drive in my PS4 since launch day with no problems. Never last one in game no slow downs or anything, and for the record your comparing a 2.5inch drive to a 3.5 inch which will not fit in a PS4 so theres no point in posting links to it.

He's talking about the 3.5" one because he's importing one of those Nyko drive caddy things that makes your PS4 look like it's got a tumour growing on it.

Soldato
i've ordered the nyko data bank from america.

i'll be ordering the western digital 3TB black 3.5" soon for £120. it's 7200rpm and built for performance as well as space. unless someone knows of a faster drive for around the £100 mark?

I considered the Nyko option with a Seagate SSHD 4TB which you can get for £130. I just decided it all added up too much when I know 2TB will likely serve me forever especially as I've had my PS$ since launch and even now I still have 90GB left.

The other big issue I had with the Nyko is that like the "Ntercooler" they released, it piggy backs from the consoles power supply and it;s well documented the amount of issues that caused.

Last edited:
Associate
Taken me a while but I finally got around to buying one of these expansion drives and installing the 2TB drive in the PS4. Hardest part was getting the enclosure open without damaging it, otherwise relatively easy. Just followed the Sony instructions on the page where you download the update file.

I only backed up my game saves and captures which were only 500MB or so, so system was restored very quickly. Will install the games as I play them. Nice to have the 1.77TB and not have to delete stuff for a while.

Soldato
Thanks. It's not working sadly, I've formatted a USB stick to exFAT, done the PS4-UPDATE-2.57 software but it doesnt recognise my USB drive. Tried two now :(

From what I gather my update should be like 900mb but only option was the 2.57 which is like 200mb.

Edit: Ok working now, it was VERY picky. I had 2 sticks formatted as exFAT, had the correct update on them both eventually. USB 1 it would keep saying there is no USB connected, USB 2 it would say it's not connected but worked on the second attempt.

Last edited:
Soldato
From the looks of the benchmarks above, the Seagate SSHD's are the pick of the bunch. Is this still the case or are there better drives around now? I may upgrade my PS4 hard drive sooner rather than later as I know I will fill the 500gb up again and I don't want to be dealing with the hassle of transferring content between the two drives. I think 1TB will be more than enough for me but I would like the fastest non SSD available.

Associate
Just installed a Seagate 2tb drive into the PS4, was case model SRD00F1. I think the hardest bit was opening the caddie :) Followed instructions to the letter and I'm just finishing restoring 400gb I backed up the other night.

Happy days!

Soldato
OP
Just installed a Seagate 2tb drive into the PS4, was case model SRD00F1. I think the hardest bit was opening the caddie :) Followed instructions to the letter and I'm just finishing restoring 400gb I backed up the other night.

Happy days!

Nice one, yeah the casing can be fiddly. Just had to wipe my HDD as got the new model PS4 'CUH-1216A'. Everything seem to re download much faster this time.

Glad it worked ok for you, did you use the 500GB in your external case? I took mine and put it back in, bargain really when you buy an external and do it yourself. End up with 500GB external and 2TB in PS4.

**OP Updated**

Associate
Nice one, yeah the casing can be fiddly. Just had to wipe my HDD as got the new model PS4 'CUH-1216A'. Everything seem to re download much faster this time.

Glad it worked ok for you, did you use the 500GB in your external case? I took mine and put it back in, bargain really when you buy an external and do it yourself. End up with 500GB external and 2TB in PS4.

**OP Updated**
Yes I did, the drive had about 15 partitions ended up looking up the reasoning behind it all. Did a slow format to be sure all looks good.

Caporegime
Price of this still high? Really need to do it myself with Fifa 16, NBA 2k16, Uncharted Collection and all that coming out.

You can get a 2TB 3.5" hybrid and a nyko data bank for less than £100.

Basically you get a 7200rpm mechanical drive (fastest you can get apart from raptors, etc) and a 8GB ssd cache.

Along with 2TB of space.

I've been using mine for over a month now and it's been flawless. Obviously some people don't like the bulk it adds to the top of the console. I could care less as I don't spend any time looking at my console rather the screen.

I load into maps 5-6 seconds faster than anyone else so in battlefield I always get a tank. In destiny I have already gotten all the bounties by the time everyone else loads in.

It's worth spending the extra £30-£40 for especially as more demanding games keep coming out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to get one <£60 and got a lot of outgoings at the moment so just went for the Seagate one. It was in a newer case, bit of a bugger to open but it's just restoring all my stuff now.

Much much better, not having to constantly worry about games. Even more so now with Fifa16, NBA2k16, Uncharted Collection and others coming out over the next month or so.

Soldato
You can get a 2TB 3.5" hybrid and a nyko data bank for less than £100.

I load into maps 5-6 seconds faster than anyone else so in battlefield I always get a tank. In destiny I have already gotten all the bounties by the time everyone else loads in.

It's worth spending the extra £30-£40 for especially as more demanding games keep coming out.

Problem for me with this is 1. Not caring about getting in game 5 seconds faster than others. 2. I like the design of the ps4 and dont like the "Elephant man" style the data bank goes for. Its also just not worth spending the extra money imho.

I could understand it more if you put a 4Tb drive in but using it to put a 2Tb drive seems like an enormous waste

Only my opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom