PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Caporegime
It's only useless if you enjoy paying more for digital only games. Or like to have 10 games on the system instead of actually finishing them.

all ps4 games install fully to the hard drive.

so if you have a large collection of games that you play regularly or are a hoarder 500GB isn't enough.

digital games use just as much space as disc versions

Soldato
Oh I didn't know that, why am I forced to use a disc then as well?. I had loads of half finished games from the PS3 era so now I like to play one at a time.

Soldato
Did you read the OP?

You need to power on the PS4 a few seconds before powering on the TV. This fixes the no display issue some people have. Sony will likely issue an update to address this when the Samsung M9T officialy launches at the end of the month. It's not available to buy as a standalone drive yet, when it is Sony will likely give it full support.

No sorry. Skimmed through on my phone on the train

Caporegime
Oh I didn't know that, why am I forced to use a disc then as well?. I had loads of half finished games from the PS3 era so now I like to play one at a time.

to verify you still have the disc in your possession.

otherwise i could buy a game install it and then return it to the shop for a full refund or sell it on second hand.

would be stupid to not force you to use the disc, that is why when you put the disc in, the ps4 goes very loud for 5-10 seconds as it reads the disc to verify it's there, it then goes back to quiet mode as it then uses the HDD for the game.

Soldato
to verify you still have the disc in your possession.

otherwise i could buy a game install it and then return it to the shop for a full refund or sell it on second hand.

would be stupid to not force you to use the disc, that is why when you put the disc in, the ps4 goes very loud for 5-10 seconds as it reads the disc to verify it's there, it then goes back to quiet mode as it then uses the HDD for the game.

Good shout, realised that after I wrote it lol.

Associate
Games being 50GB or even 30GB on average is a load of rubbish.

Fifa is around 12GB as is War Thunder.

Lego is around 4-6GB

BF4 is around 45GB with DLC, Killzone is around 40GB without DLC.

your talking about a 20GB average on a full PS4 game, PSN games like dead nation, resogun are tiny so they bring the average down further but I'm going to ignore them as they aren't "proper" games but if I were to include them the average would be like 10-15GB.

Over the years I could see the average increasing to say 30GB which is a 50% increase on the current average of around 20GB, but even then It's hard to see in games like fifa where all that extra data is going to come from unless they start adding a lot more to them.

a 500GB drive should easily do 10-20 games.

personally I'm waiting for the price of a 360 GB SSD to hit <£75 before buying one, I don't need any more than 200-300GB so would get a 300-400GB drive to be on the safe side.

Haha you're funny. I wasn't saying that as gospel! It was more of a 'let's say hypothetically' each game is 50gb. I don't play fifa,Lego ect. You could only play indi games and get hundreds on a 500gb hard drive. But as said, you don't need 2tb right now, even 1tb. But over time it'll fill up and the time it would take to reinstall the games you wanna play can be saved by installing big now.

Caporegime
Haha you're funny. I wasn't saying that as gospel! It was more of a 'let's say hypothetically' each game is 50gb. I don't play fifa,Lego ect. You could only play indi games and get hundreds on a 500gb hard drive. But as said, you don't need 2tb right now, even 1tb. But over time it'll fill up and the time it would take to reinstall the games you wanna play can be saved by installing big now.

depends on what you want to save time or money?

most of my games are digital anyway (in fact all of them are apart from one). so i could let mine all install overnight, etc by just sticking them all on to download and then standbying the console, it's not a huge problem for me.

if you had a lot of disc games then it would be a PITA so you may opt to buy big now.

Soldato
OP
depends on what you want to save time or money?

most of my games are digital anyway (in fact all of them are apart from one). so i could let mine all install overnight, etc by just sticking them all on to download and then standbying the console, it's not a huge problem for me.

if you had a lot of disc games then it would be a PITA so you may opt to buy big now.

Yeah part of the reason I switched now. I wanted to use the SSD I had in the PS4 in my PC at some point, so thought I'll get it out of the way before I get a load more stuff on there. Another incentive is the drive being so cheap.

If you're not planning on getting many games or digital downloads PS+ etc then having a large drive isn't a priority.

Soldato
But do you honestly need more than 1TB of storage for the PS4? I see that they're big files, but i'd imagine you'd get bored and even stop playing most of them later on in life.

Think a Hybrid is the way to go for PS4s

Soldato
OP
But do you honestly need more than 1TB of storage for the PS4? I see that they're big files, but i'd imagine you'd get bored and even stop playing most of them later on in life.

Think a Hybrid is the way to go for PS4s

This drive is using the latest platters it's surprisingly fast and quiet, if you buy it in the enclosure it can be had for similar price to a 1TB 2.5" HDD. Well worth it imho, the extra space may come in handy. Game installs are getting bigger and bigger..

didn't realise the hard drive caused a hdmi handshake issue.

how hot does your ps4 get out of interest with this drive installed?

Yeah the HDMI handshake issue is a pita, can cause a black screen on a cold boot up. Once you can turn off HDCP with FW 1.70, it should work perfect.

The drive is 5400rpm same as the stock drive, but it uses the latest Samsung/Seagate platters, it's fast and runs cool and quiet. Perfect for PS4 imho. At the price you can get it in the enclosure it's an absolute steal tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont think it is a handshake issue
seems more like the ps4 bootloader is tanking waiting for the m9t to spinup
an updated bootloader with longer timeout would be neded to fix it

I can have my av reciver off tv off and power on my ps4 and it still doesnt boot

So have to force the ps4 to wait on boot with the power held down for a few secs

And even if it was a handshake issue
turning off hdcp doesnt stop it handshaking

Last edited:
Caporegime
i'm just wondering is there any benefit to having HDCP turned on?

i have zero issues but may turn it off, as I'm sure it must be using additional resources to run HDCP therefore theoretically even though it may only be marginally the system may run 0.01% smoother.

Back
Top Bottom