PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Caporegime
so they have basically put them on par with hybrid drives tbh and still say SSD is the best albeit expensive.

if you want to load in BF4 first and get into a tank before anyone else buy an ssd, cannot afford an SSD then get a hybrid.

if you want the largest space available at a very good price with a bit of a boost over the stock drive and don't want to load into maps first then get one of these large 5400 rpm mechanical drives. they aren't as fast as hybrids for multiplayer but you get a lot more space for your money.

Associate
I brought one a couple of weeks back from Overclockers when it was deal of the day for £79.99. Considering I opened the case with minimal fuss and managed to put a 500Gb drive back in, I'd say it was a bargain. A 500gb external drive and no more space worries for the PS4 for quite a few years I'd imagine.

Associate
I've just picked up a black 2 TB Seagate Backup Plus drive from another e-tailer for £90 yesterday as I needed a larger capacity backup drive for my PC but I will be swapping it for the 1.5 TB HGST 5K1500 hard drive in my PS4 now that firmware v1.70 has fixed the cold boot issue.

I did have the 2 TB Samsung M9T hard drive on order at the same e-tailer for £150 but, luckily for me, they never shipped it when it was supposed to have been released on 31st March 2014. So I cancelled and bought the cheaper HGST drive instead for £85 and used the saving to buy a 64 GB memory card for my PS Vita. :)

I'm quite a hoarder when it comes to games and tend to takes months or even years to finish them so having a large amount of storage is really important as I don't want the hassle of having to uninstall older games to make space for newer ones. I filled my 500 GB stock drive within three months and got the 1.5 TB drive just in time for inFamous Second Son!

Associate
I've just picked up a black 2 TB Seagate Backup Plus drive from another e-tailer for £90 yesterday as I needed a larger capacity backup drive for my PC but I will be swapping it for the 1.5 TB HGST 5K1500 hard drive in my PS4 now that firmware v1.70 has fixed the cold boot issue.

I did have the 2 TB Samsung M9T hard drive on order at the same e-tailer for £150 but, luckily for me, they never shipped it when it was supposed to have been released on 31st March 2014. So I cancelled and bought the cheaper HGST drive instead for £85 and used the saving to buy a 64 GB memory card for my PS Vita. :)

I'm quite a hoarder when it comes to games and tend to takes months or even years to finish them so having a large amount of storage is really important as I don't want the hassle of having to uninstall older games to make space for newer ones. I filled my 500 GB stock drive within three months and got the 1.5 TB drive just in time for inFamous Second Son!

Are 64Gb Vita cards available now over here in the UK?? I'm intrigued, my 16Gb card is next to useless with PS+!

Associate
Seen a few UK ebay sellers selling them for about £85 :eek:

Think I only payed around £60 for mine on the day they where released ...(by import ;) )

£60, what a bargain!

I remember getting a 1Gb Sandisk Memory stick pro duo for like £65 about 10 years ago for my PSP original.. Haha.

Soldato
£60, what a bargain!

I remember getting a 1Gb Sandisk Memory stick pro duo for like £65 about 10 years ago for my PSP original.. Haha.
I payed around £120 for my 2GB sony memory card for my PSP and that was by import (they cost around £180 in my local UK retailers at the time)

Last edited:
Associate
Just picked up this drive less that an hour ago from high street shop for £90 was going to pay £120 but keying it in brought up £90!! Happy Bunny:D

Associate
Someone pointed out that my SSD (Got it for free so just chucked it in my PS4) would be put to better use in my PC for games like Titanfall etc. I'm inclined to agree so decided to swap it back out for a much larger HDD, I'm losing performance in the PS4 loading speeds etc but gaining twice the capacity.

Had a look around at the largest available drives. Officially the 1.5TB Hitachi drive is supported, but was more interested in the 2TB M9T hard drive.

Currently this hard drive is not available to buy (Only Pre-order) as an individual product. However.. You can buy it in the form of an external portable drive. The better news is it's about half the price of the drive only 2TB M9T.

Because the hard drive is not officially released, I think the drive is not fully supported by the PS4, some people experience blue screen with no display after the PS4 has been completely powered down. This will likely be fixed later in a patch after the drive is officially released as a stand alone product. (Sony will likely release a firmware update to fix the blue screen issue some people experience) The easy fix for the blue screen is simply to have all devices switched off at the plug. Power on the PS4 first, then power on the TV last. This way you do not get blue screen.

*Update* Firmware 1.70 allows you to turn HDCP off and fixes no display boot issue. Drive works perfect on FW 1.70.

You can pick up the external drive from a few places. I won't mention them here as not sure if it would breach the rules. Please be aware once you open the portable housing the warranty is gone as far as the external product is concerned. I'm not sure if Seagate would honor on RMA on the drive itself if needed. Maybe someone has more insight on this. Tbh you would have to have hands like King Kong to do any damage to the drive itself by opening the housing..

The one you want is called the 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive. It's 2.5" and comes in a case with a black bottom and silver top (others colors are available albeit more expensive). Inside this portable drive you will find the 2TB Samsung Spinpoint M9T.

So let's get started.

First thing is to backup yours and other users save games etc. Do this by logging into each profile going to storage management and backing up the saves to your USB stick. Also sync your PSN trophies.

You will need the PS4 software, latest version atm is 1.62. You can download this here - http://uk.playstation.com/ps4initialise/

RE0SE7B.png

(You need the full 800mb+ file)

Now you have backed up your saves, PSN trophies synced, and OS software downloaded and placed on USB, it's time to get to the hard drive..

This is what the box looks like :p

du4uRIV.jpg
7BadmiF.jpg

The external drive housing.

9H1cTDr.jpg

To take this thing apart, get a small think piece of plastic, like a guitar plectrum etc. Gently separate the top lid from the bottom. Working around the edges.

15GbVT0.jpg

Till it starts to look like this.

3nClfmL.jpg

When you get the lid of you will have this.

fC5CU8T.jpg

The drive can just be gently pulled out from the bottom of the case, it is not fixed in anyway to the black bottom part.

When fully removed the drive has foil around the egde, just peel this off it comes of easy. The sata to USB adaptor can be gently pulled off from the end.

emqzxJr.jpg

Now you have just the hard drive itself, you need to remove the HDD installed in your PS4, the black shiny housing part on the PS4 will clip apart from the main case. Revealing the HDD slot. One top screw will allow the drive caddy to be pulled out. The drive itself is held in the caddy tray by 4 screws. Unscrew these and remove the old drive (In my case SSD) and in with the new drive. Screw it back together and slide the caddy tray back into the PS4. Put back the one top screw and fix the top panel back into place.

eIlUuUD.jpg
9B9XV1z.jpg
gCwS2Hd.jpg
0UHBx1A.jpg

With your USB stick in the PS4. Turn on the system. You will get an error and be asked to attach your PS4 control cable and press the PS button. Now follow the instructions to install the PS4 OS. You will come back to the start screen to enter all your preferences. Region, Language etc. Click on your profile and sign into PSN to get your profile back. From here enjoy a much larger hard drive and get your games etc installed again :)

@Boomstick you didn't say if you had to format the drive 1st as it is NTFS?

Soldato
OP
Ok did the upgrade. Went easy, was supprised. lost save games in MG5 but all is well.

Nice one bud, you should be set for years now. In 3-5 years there will be 2TB SSD's going for a few hundred pounds. So until then a cheap 2TB HDD makes sense imho.

Because these 2TB's HDD's are using the latest platters, there actually faster than a lot of other HDD's as well. Bargain for the money.

Associate
Nice one bud, you should be set for years now. In 3-5 years there will be 2TB SSD's going for a few hundred pounds. So until then a cheap 2TB HDD makes sense imho.

Because these 2TB's HDD's are using the latest platters, there actually faster than a lot of other HDD's as well. Bargain for the money.

Am I allowed to say where I got it from?

Back
Top Bottom