PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Soldato
i'm just wondering is there any benefit to having HDCP turned on?

i have zero issues but may turn it off, as I'm sure it must be using additional resources to run HDCP therefore theoretically even though it may only be marginally the system may run 0.01% smoother.

All that may happen is that it outputs to the screen when first turning on fractions of a second sooner as it’s skipping the handshake.

Apparently apps like Netflix need HDCP turned on. Probably the blu-ray player too. Has anyone with this hard drive tested if you can switch HDCP back on to use these without the original issue?

Caporegime
All that may happen is that it outputs to the screen when first turning on fractions of a second sooner as it’s skipping the handshake.

Apparently apps like Netflix need HDCP turned on. Probably the blu-ray player too. Has anyone with this hard drive tested if you can switch HDCP back on to use these without the original issue?

don't use netflix or buy blu rays, so will turn it off

Soldato
i'm just wondering is there any benefit to having HDCP turned on?

i have zero issues but may turn it off, as I'm sure it must be using additional resources to run HDCP therefore theoretically even though it may only be marginally the system may run 0.01% smoother.

It won't make any difference at all to performance. It's not using actual system resources.

Soldato
OP
Did you actually try it without disabling HDCP, it could have been the update that fixed the issue and not disabling HDCP.

It's a good point bud, my system has been left in standby mode to avoid the blank screen issue, so the new update installed from that mode and then once on 1.70 and in the system menu I disabled HDCP and turned the system completely off. It's worked fine from every cold boot since, no more blank screen..

I don't want to test if turning it back on causes black screen issue again lol. Hopefully someone else has 2TB installed and can guinea pig that :p

80 Squid for 2TB and working perfect now. Bargain imho.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
all dismantled took less than 5 minutes, for the game backups and firmware update do the usb sticks need to be in fat32 or ntfs meh will try fat32

Fat32. Worth syncing your trophies and backing up saves to USB as well. How much did you pay for the drive?

----------------------------

Seems just the update 1.70 is fixing some of the PS4's HDCP handshake issues even when it is still enabled - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110070853&postcount=584

Interesting to see if other peoples 2TB drives work straight from the get go with fresh install of 1.70 and HDCP still turned on. I'm leaving it switched off in my PS4, it's working perfect now. Don't want to change anything lol. If it ain't broke...

Associate
It was tanking waiting for the hd to spinup
nothing to do with the hdmi handshake
anyway its fixed now so all is good

Soldato
OP
It was tanking waiting for the hd to spinup
nothing to do with the hdmi handshake
anyway its fixed now so all is good

Yes it is 1.70 has fixed the HDMI handshake issue, it's being posted all over the net lol.

right all installed and updated, left HDCP enabled and turned of the machine, how long should i leave it to test

I powered mine down for about 10 mins, even switched off at the wall to be sure lol. 1.70 Has fixed HDMI handshake issues. It doesn't just fix the 2TB issue but people having problems with certain other 1TB drives and those using receivers. Sony did good :p

2TB PS4, hopefully will last whole lifecycle, even if it doesn't in 4 - 5 years all types of drives SSD/HDD will be that much cheaper / better.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ok left for for 15min each test one tv off powered ps4 on all ok test 2 tv on powered ps4 all ok. pretty pleased, now to have 20gb ish downloading for updates lol

Nice one, you got it all re-downloaded now? Nice to know you will prob never need to do it again :)

Got over 1400GB free on my drive lol.

Caporegime
Nice one, you got it all re-downloaded now? Nice to know you will prob never need to do it again :)

Got over 1400GB free on my drive lol.

I'm sorely tempted to buy an SSD, currently have a 500GB hybrid which only cost me about £30 to upgrade to after selling the stock drive.

500GB SSD is about £150 currently, I won't need more than 300GB so 500GB would leave me with a lot spare.

I'll wait another year, hopefully they hit sub £100 for 500GB.

Soldato
OP
The PlayStation 4 hard drive upgrade guide

Digital Foundry tests faster HDDs, hybrid drives and SSDs. Do games load faster and play more smoothly?

Lol at Digital Foundry suggesting taking apart a 2TB USB 3.0 "passport" can provide the best value upgrade :D

They mention that although the 2TB is 5400rpm, because it has the latest platter technology (Higher density) it is actually faster than the stock 500GB PS4 drive. Something I can agree with having not noticed much difference between 500GB, 1TB SSD and this 2TB drive.

the 5400rpm stock drive isn't that much slower than the upgrades. Although disappointing in some respects, it's actually good news in others - why spend the extra money on a hybrid drive, when a 2TB 5400rpm unit isn't that much more expensive? It seems that just like PS3 upgrades, cost per gig is the biggest consideration in choosing a new HDD.

we saw little to no in-game improvement when we compared game performance from the standard stock drive to an SSD. Trials Fusion texture pop-in apart, loading time improvements are the only real benefit we can see right now.

Something worthy of serious thought is a 2TB 5400rpm drive: typically, the higher the storage, the more data is crammed onto the platters, so while 5400rpm may not sound particularly fast, bandwidth does increase according to data density. If we were to start this feature from scratch, we would probably swap in one of these drives in favour of the hybrid SSHD

the variable success we got from the onboard caching suggests that the price premium isn't really worth it. On the flipside, while 2TB 2.5-inch 5400rpm drives are expensive, USB 3.0 "passport" variants are actually cheaper, and only a little pricier than the hybrid drive. There's another bonus too: prise the drive out from the enclosure and not only do you have a PS4 upgrade, you also have a caddy in which to house your old 500GB HDD.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps4-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom