PS4 pro

Soldato
What argument?

It's always been if you TV supports it then set it to full. If it doesn't, then don't.

Simple!
Ive always set mine to full, ive never had a tv thats not had an adjustable setting so its never bothered me but some people say to only use limited but i cant fathom why.

Soldato
Anyone else's PS4 pro pretty loud??? I have added anti vibration feet and moved it in to a different postion which has improved it a little, but I can still hear the fan ramping up and down during more intensive games (Horizon) and it's infuriating! I get that they are running faster so the fans will be louder and that I can accept, but this noticeable fan speed change. I have quite bad hearing too so it must be pretty bad! :(

Done a fair few googles about it and it is really common it seems, but a fair amount of people are also reporting they can hardly ever hear theirs (my work friends included)??

Caporegime
It's definitely louder than my base PS4 which is almost whisper quiet. The PS4 Pro goes mad at the map screen in Horizon Zero Dawn and I can also hear it during Mass Effect Andromeda.

Soldato
I've just ordered a PS4 pro, coming Wednesday. Hopefully it's not louder than my current PS4, mines like a jet engine. Can still hear it when i have my headphones on, annoys everyone in the party.

I did even repaste and changed all the thermal pads. The strange thing is it's fairly quite when in game, but in menus its mental.

Moved my 4K HDR TV into my games room yesterday, tried some HDR on my reg PS4 and it looks good hopefully with the addition of the pro it will look top notch.

Soldato
I've just ordered a PS4 pro, coming Wednesday. Hopefully it's not louder than my current PS4, mines like a jet engine. Can still hear it when i have my headphones on, annoys everyone in the party.

I did even repaste and changed all the thermal pads. The strange thing is it's fairly quite when in game, but in menus its mental.

Moved my 4K HDR TV into my games room yesterday, tried some HDR on my reg PS4 and it looks good hopefully with the addition of the pro it will look top notch.
I guess in menus there no fps cap, sometimes find it on pc games loading screens.

Caporegime
Ive always set mine to full, ive never had a tv thats not had an adjustable setting so its never bothered me but some people say to only use limited but i cant fathom why.

As long as the TV can accept a full RGB signal it's not an issue

Sometimes you have to adjust the actual TV setting so you don't end up with crushed blacks. For example on my LG B6V you have to then set the 'Black level' to 'High'

Soldato
My PS4 pro has always been loud as hell since I got it, around a month ago. Finally got round to getting it swapped. Logged a return Sat evening, replacement arrived Sunday afternoon. New one is much quieter.

I also picked up a few older games that I missed out on with my old PS4. Ratchet and Clank, Doom, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, around £18 each, bargain.

V F

V F

Soldato

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

You've always made sure you can see all steps near black? I know with Ted's calibration disc I can just barely make out 0.5 near black which is level 17. I use limited because even the calibrators recommend it since you'll also be viewing media no doubt.

Q: My TV supports Full mode, shouldn’t I use this?

A: No. TVs support Full to make them easier to calibrate. Most TVs will not display a black level below 16 because video content should never have it. By letting you see Black 15 or 14, it can make it easier to calibrate the display and get the black level correct. However, you really should not use this as your main setting as most displays are not designed to display levels below 16, and often introduce color tints when doing white levels past 240 or so. Additionally, if you restrict yourself to levels 16-235 you wind up with a brighter image with a better contrast ratio, as you can turn up the contrast level higher. Contrast Ratio is the thing your eye notices most, and so it will produce a more pleasing image.

Also, since any non-video game content will only use 16-235, these picture settings will work for all inputs and sources, not just a single source.

Soldato
Associate
Anyone else's PS4 pro pretty loud??? I have added anti vibration feet and moved it in to a different postion which has improved it a little, but I can still hear the fan ramping up and down during more intensive games (Horizon) and it's infuriating! I get that they are running faster so the fans will be louder and that I can accept, but this noticeable fan speed change. I have quite bad hearing too so it must be pretty bad! :(

Done a fair few googles about it and it is really common it seems, but a fair amount of people are also reporting they can hardly ever hear theirs (my work friends included)??

Granted mine is under my desk but I can't hear it at all.

Soldato
My PS4 pro has always been loud as hell since I got it, around a month ago. Finally got round to getting it swapped. Logged a return Sat evening, replacement arrived Sunday afternoon. New one is much quieter.

I also picked up a few older games that I missed out on with my old PS4. Ratchet and Clank, Doom, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, around £18 each, bargain.

See I have thought about taking mine back (got it from argos) and getting a replacement, but I am worried I'll get a worse one lol. When you say you logged a return, did you mean from where you purchased or??

Soldato
My Pro just had a bit of a melt down. The fan went to max everything froze and the screen went red chequerboard then it switched off......

It's on and working again now but I'm having it replaced....

Blehhhhh.... :(

V F

V F

Soldato
Some people are bonkers. Alternatively some tv's don't support full range properly.

Heh, reading the comments in the article. Yet they think the blacks look better even though they cannot see shadow detail.

No matter how often people tell the kids not to use full, they will anyways.

By all means, make things more difficult on yourself - it has no benefit whatsoever and only adds complications and potential problems.

Caporegime
Well my PC and PS4 use the same input in the TV via the A/V receiver and the PC certainly does do full RGB for games and the like, and since my TV does also support a full RGB signal it's a lot less faff to have the PS4 Pro use Full RGB as well.

Back
Top Bottom