QLED vs OLED

Associate
Why did Panasonic go from VA panels to IPS in there lcd range in the first place was it purely down to cost?

Yes, I would imagine so. I know some Innolux panels that they used in 2016 and 2017 sets had high failure rates, so maybe a bit of both?

interesting - are the fx750 panels failing too ? was considering an fx750 in sales of last years models

FX750's seem to be reliable from what I've seen. Not impressed at all with the 740's. The viewing angles are terrible on all sizes. Plus they weigh a ton because of the glass back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting .. will have to wait and see what Vincent's eyes think, when the patch arrives,
it's a bit disingenuous his trolling of other brands .. that won't be resolved by lg patch - lol.

I've not seen a good theory of why the flashing occurred ?, macro-blocking on the other hand is more a trade-off of algorithms for noise-reduction in low bitrate sources, and having sufficient processing power/algorithms to 'improve' it.

Maybe the sweet spot netflix believe they have for acceptable quality at low bitrate is not so sweet.
article references/re-lists some problematic sources eg 'vikings' ... were these available on a 4k disc to make a comparison ?

Soldato
I use my TV as a PC monitor also as its hooked up to my gaming rig (browsing and posting on this forum as I type this) so sadly I think OLED is just not suitable for me :(

Soldato
I don't think any 43" panel can do hdr properly. Majority are ips panels so 8 bit. They don't go bright enough either. It's a fake hdr with dithering.

seems panasonic are continuing with IPS, for gx900b, LG panel, I was surprised to see they are 8 bit+2 ... are there any 10bit ips ?

spec link from
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/flatfo...&t=11679&sid=86e0f6d62b1c3feaa2d2264d9648fcce

interestingly, they have
2-Tuners - PAP / PIP / PAT
• PIP (Picture in Picture) Picture in Picture. The PIP feature allows you to display two different sources simultaneously on the screen. The main source occupies the entire screen and its audio signal is played through the speakers (with TVs and monitors equipped with speakers). This is usually an external source, a computer, a decoder, and so on.
The secondary source occupies a window that is applied to the image of the primary source. TVs are usually a channel decoded by the tuner. When you select this window, the source sound is played through the speakers.
Depending on the available PIP settings, this window can be moved to different locations on the screen.
PIP Note: there may be restrictions on some sources.
• PAP (Picture And Picture) function for simultaneous display of screen images from two different sources.
For example, PAP allows you to simultaneously display the image coming from a channel and what is being supplied from an external source on the TV. Depending on your needs, you can enjoy audio signals from one or another source of the TV's speakers.
Some models can also change the size of the display area of each source.
good for skipping add's - checking out another channel

Caporegime
seems panasonic are continuing with IPS, for gx900b, LG panel, I was surprised to see they are 8 bit+2 ... are there any 10bit ips ?

spec link from
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/flatfo...&t=11679&sid=86e0f6d62b1c3feaa2d2264d9648fcce

interestingly, they have

good for skipping add's - checking out another channel

I've never heard of one if there is a 10 bit IPS TV. it may be a limitation of the panel or the factories making IPS haven't bothered doing the R&D into it.

there is nothing wrong with 8 bit with dithering. yes it's not as good but the panels themselves are really good. i've owned a lot of cracking tv's and an LG IPS 8 bit with dithering IPS and tbh the IPS does amazing in a room where you need wide viewing angles.

if you can though obviously it's better to go for an OLED or a VA with FALD backlighting. but they aren't exactly rubbish tv's still a lot better than the majority of tv's out there if you get a high end one.

Soldato
Meh, HDR isn't all that great. It's quite subtle, where as OLED has had a very big impact on my viewing experience.

I still think OLED is the best technology out of 4K, HDR and OLED.

I only have QLED, but the HDR on that Samsung TV is amazing. The HDR on my Sony I wouldn't really notice much difference, so I can understand if some say it's a bit meh.

Soldato
I only have QLED, but the HDR on that Samsung TV is amazing. The HDR on my Sony I wouldn't really notice much difference, so I can understand if some say it's a bit meh.

I just don't think it made as much of a difference as going from LCD to OLED - there's something to say about having perfect blacks and absolutely no light bleed; the image looks spot on no matter the content, and being able to watch TV in a dark room and still have great blacks is awesome.

HDR is cool, and brighter highlights are nice, but at times, it's just uncomfortably bright. Colours are quite a subtle difference :)

Caporegime
Im sort of begging my Sony KDL-52W4000 that i bought back in 2008 to break as an excuse to get an OLED lol

just sell it on gumtree. it's what i did when i wanted to upgrade my last tv. i got £320 for it and i paid £450 for it 2 years previously. was a top of the range sony 55 inch W809C. I then got a 55" XF90 (Sony) for £999. I will keep this one though until it dies 8K isn't coming any time soon.

Soldato
Tbf, I don't know exactly how much of mine is the QLED or the HDR, but for me that's what has given some scenes a look that they are 'too real' and it can break your immersion if you let it. I guess that doesn't sound good in some ways, but it can make some shots look so amazing.

Caporegime
HDR is good. But for someone who doesn’t know what they are looking for, it can go unnoticed.

OLED is impossible to ignore and non HDR content on an OLED far surpasses the image quality of HDR on any non-OLED screen.

I smell BS.

I know OLED is great for contrast and blacks. But LCD especially FALD's with LED backlighting have come a long way.

I'm not talking about a £500 tv, my mate for example has a £3000 Sony LCD which is FALD with LED backlightinf over 1500 zones. And I would say it's on par with an OLED probably better when it comes to HDR and worse when it comes to absolute blacks but in a brightly lit room which most people use the FALD is better.

Back
Top Bottom