Quake champions

Soldato
I have said on beta forum that I want to play quake (ie map rotation servers) not keep being booted back to a lobby. Im not convinced it is happening because its beta but because its by design. Just reminds me of CoD which does the exact same thing after every map (as does Overwatch) and they did the same thing with Doom.

Agreed, I just want to play but then have to wait a good 5 mins from the end of the last match to start of the new match. takes forever with loading screens, warmup, 12 seconds before map loads etc

Soldato
NPA7-M29B-P4XA-4K3N-C96M
YRU4-G46K-M4UF-3A6D-P73R
AQD6-N42R-P3UK-3M9G-C76K

More keys. Bit late ,think it ends soon, but once you are in, you are in future tests.

Soldato
Am I the only one who is starting to get a bad feeling about the state of QC, particularly netcode?

I hear they will be lifting the NDA so an open beta cant be far away, nor release.

Seems like theres a good chance it will be released in a shoddy state? :(

Man of Honour
I have concerns about the "netcode" but I'm not sure how inherent to the engine or not it is - there are a few things that can be delayed and/or inconsistent which are due to it - but the last round of the beta is the only one I've seen it truly as bad, aside from the railgun, so it might be just they are tweaking it dunno.

I've got a bad feeling it is going to go the way of so many betas I've been on before i.e. ETQW - they get about 75% of the way through development and the "netcode" is in a good state just needs some minor tweaking mostly to reduce bandwidth and tighten up a few aspect but they go overboard trying to make it use as little bandwidth as possible and just mess everything up and ends up on release with very meh "netcode". For instance with ETQW up until about 3 months before release the "netcode" was pretty much perfect once they'd sorted some vehicle prediction issues - occasionally you'd get some undesirable hits after you'd gone into cover but IMO it was worth it as a trade off as it was bang on in every other respect bar that it used about 12kbyte/s upstream which was considered too high at the time - though I'm sure some compromise could have been made for dialup users without destroying it for everyone else. Then they went overboard tweaking the area of relevance system and everything else to a point where the game had impressively low upstream bandwidth utilisation - but never felt half as good to play.

I'm hoping they work on the mouse/put in more options as well as with more extensive playing I've realised I'm getting negative acceleration at times which is ******* my aim quite a bit in LG fights, etc.

Soldato
I guess time will tell. I started the beta really hoping it would be awesome both because I wanted it to be and because I believe it needs to be in order to succeed. Im somewhat underwhelmed. Given the technical knowledge out there I really feel the netcode issues we are seeing shouldnt really be there. I mean its 2017 and a ruck of other games have decent netcode, so why is QC so rubbish? I really hope it isnt tied to the engine because if it is, I think QC will be dead in the water unless they can patch it out. Im not sure how likely that will be if something as fundamental as the game engine is causing it?

Changes and updates seem slack and more or less zero feedback / conversation by iD and Bethesda make me wonder where its heading.

Lack of options overall is another concern. I keep telling myslef its because its a beta but we are totally in the dark. No reassurance or input from devs/pubs. Customisable settings has been a key tennet of quake games for a couple of decades. Even quake 1 had +mlook!!

I hope I am wrong but what I am seeing on the beta forums and more importantly what I am not seeing (ie dev input) is leaving me feeling less than hopeful.

I guess what will be will be.

Man of Honour
Sacrifice game mode in this round of the beta and the NDA is coming down.

Looks like its going to be open for a bit longer than previous beta rounds as well.

Man of Honour
There is about 100 changes and fixes listed but whether there is actually anything substantial is another matter.

Man of Honour
Not liking sacrifice mode so far - every time I seemed to spawn in the wrong place at the wrong time needing to rush into the combat without time to get weapons or armour, etc. so whoever happened to spawn in the right road for weapons, etc. on route just dominated. Give me good old CTF.

EDIT: LOL looking at the beta forums this game mode isn't just dislike its largely utterly reviled by new and old players alike :|

EDIT2: I also seem to be getting a ton of negative acceleration on the mouse with this beta :( which is messing with my aim and hence game flow.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I just quit out of second match of sacrifice meh - kind of figured it out now but it leaves me empty I'm just playing for the sake of it - going by the forums as above looks like the majority feel the same.

EDIT: Not really missing much - "netcode" is pretty much unplayable for me this round of the beta if someone with a remotely high ping joins the game and pretty rubbish the rest of the time - dunno what happened to how it was 2 betas ok where it was pretty good for me except the railgun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Possibly they are trying to be too clever with the netcode?

Im still downloading the update. Meh.

Things seem like they are getting worse, not better from what you say. Seems an odd place to be for a beta about to go open.

Back
Top Bottom