Quake champions

V F

V F

Soldato
Scary the speed and prediction some of these players in the championship. Blink, dead. How the heck do you get reaction time like that let alone the perfect accuracy. Cypher is quite scary!

Playing on public games feels so slow compared to this...

Man of Honour
Some of these players will have 10-15+ years of experience to hone their reactions, etc infact their reaction times and aim are probably on a decline even heh (I know mine aren't anything like they were in ~2003) and depending on experience to compensate for it.

some high ranked players in this game are so bad... havent lost a 1v1 yet!

That is quite impressive - there are some decent duellers out there on QC. Sadly I don't have the mindset for duelling at the best of times.

EDIT: Haven't watched it yet but battlenonsense netcode analysis for QC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITA9DpejSg

EDIT2: Nice to see he has extensive testing that show the inconsistency in how the game performs networking wise and explains my frustration :|

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Some of these players will have 10-15+ years of experience to hone their reactions, etc infact their reaction times and aim are probably on a decline even heh (I know mine aren't anything like they were in ~2003) and depending on experience to compensate for it.

How did they have all this time? From what I've learned since this tournament they're playing 13 hours a day... Even back in 1999 - 2003/4 I was just a casual Quake player but prefered the team type games. TDM, CTF and Q3F. I didn't even get into Quake Live.

Probably explains why I'm garbage but ping is everything in this game? Even that doesn't make sense because if I have low ping I still get whipped yet I seem to do better with higher ping but that can still be iffy. I've been experiencing rubber banding lately.

Soldato
Nice to have the time to play quake for 13hrs a day.

All credit to them, but in terms of goals - being a master pro awesome ninja champion of a computer game is possibly failing at life?

I mean 13hrs a day..........jeez (can you feel my envy?? :p )

My reaction speeds have declined since I was at my best in 2004ish. But map/game knowledge helps to offset that.

But even at my best I was only ever OK. Just something I have made peace with. Could hold my own but was never gonna be pro. :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Nice to have the time to play quake for 13hrs a day.

All credit to them, but in terms of goals - being a master pro awesome ninja champion of a computer game is possibly failing at life?

I mean 13hrs a day..........jeez (can you feel my envy?? :p )

Heh, well Fatal1ty made a branding line out of it. David Beckham of computer hardware? Mice, Pads, Soundcards, Motherboards, Headphones and god knows what else?

Personally I never knew much about him until recently reading about Quake Champions. I remember reading years ago others slagging owners for owning Fatal1ty branded products. Never knew much about it then either. Sometimes I thought he was an Eminem clone. http://www.asrock.com/news/show/COMPUTEX2011/index.asp?c=Events

Funny though back in his heyday, he looks a bit like Schumacher. http://www.asrock.com/news/events/2011fatal1ty/index.asp?c=Facebook

I do not know how they do it. After 2 hours of casual gaming I'm losing skill, if one could call it skill... It is just fun after all. Or getting bored or my backside is starting to get numb so its time to do something else for a few hours. How they can sit at a desk and game for such a time I do not know how it is possible.

For this $1,000,000 I think a new brand is likely to happen again... Though with the state of Quake Champions and its bugs as you've probably seen it on the live streams, I'm amazed how this tournament is happening. As some matches has been restarted because of it.

It is also strange the way how gamers take this watching the comments on the Quake Champions live streams. It is like there is nothing else in life. Slagging each other with n00bs. Like an everyday game. Even calling some of the pro's n00bs because they made mistakes. Strange bunch.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had the OCZ Fatal1ty 700 watt PSU - unlike the garbage a lot of mainstream PSUs were being built around it was internally a high end Impervio unit and performed better than most 800 watt PSUs in testing :D

As an aside I believe the gamer kid in the Charlie and the chocolate factory movie is based on Fatal1ty though I've not seen it officially credited - there are a number of little eastereggs that point to it aside from the superficial resemblence and at one point they slip in a name mix up mentioning Wendel which I don't think was coincidence.

End of the day he did make pretty well out of doing it for a living heh.

V F

V F

Soldato
It is truly awful what this game has become. The last 3 matches with only campers. Maps more than half empty with the team only laying traps beside quad. Lockbox was even worse. Staying at the top end of the map planting traps in front of portals. Nobody would fight it was that bad then most of my team quit. The game reached the time limit before it even got anywhere near the frag limit.

Associate
Its good when you get two people paired up that go at it with speed and prediction, etc. rather than the extreme stack meta that has become more common these days :|

Bleh! This is exactly my complaint for QC. It has changed the 'meta' of the game so it favours aim, camping, and predictive play. It doesn't allow any other game style to work and I don't feel it will lead to super exciting games. My QL playstyle is rotating items and occasionally going off them to try and force a mistake or choke the enemy. Now in QC even playing people worse than me, I can grab some items (but so can they as every map has an insane amount of items) and then they just rush me. I do ok and had a few wins against other people who I know are my level from QL so I'm not super terrible at the game, but it really just isn't fun. It's like they just want to push a certain playstyle and I don't know why. When I play new players and they lose all 3 rounds without getting a frag I don't understand how that's supposed to be 'more fun' for them than the old system? Yes there is a bit more randomness as such they can get a lucky frag here and there. But it's so very odd. Also because of the small time limits and the round based system making everyone reset after three frags you don't get any long gameplay where someone at a disadvantage can build up a stack slowly ready to steal a major item. Bah! :(

Soldato
its a new mode called sacrifice! dunno if they will implement CTF tho for the final release.. but sacrifice is really good fun!

same kinda game just few little changes!

really hope they add a rocket arena mod.. played that on quake 3 for over 10 years!

V F

V F

Soldato
Fun when you get custom games going. Even though I'm pretty sure I was playing on American servers. Oh and found my RA3 and Q3A soundtrack cd-r that was made back in 2000. :D

Associate
its a new mode called sacrifice! dunno if they will implement CTF tho for the final release.. but sacrifice is really good fun!

Nice one, will check it out.

Re-installed after re-formatting last night and had a quick game after playing some quake live, rail gun seems to act quite different from old quake. Need to get some practice in :)

Associate
In thinking about it, do you guys all play QL also? Since there's a lot of you and most from UK I assume and I could use some more duel partners!

Man of Honour
Don't think I could swap between QC and QL if I was playing on a regular basis heh - one would screw my game flow up for the other :s

V F

V F

Soldato
Don't think I could swap between QC and QL if I was playing on a regular basis heh - one would screw my game flow up for the other :s

Quake Live looks so horribly flat and old though. :o

I don't like the sound of the announcer in Quake Live.

Back
Top Bottom