Quake champions

Man of Honour
Yeah I was thinking that it was one of the reasons they used it in the beta to limit how much server space they needed.

V F

V F

Soldato
I find it unreal from the days of Quake 3 the gamer trash talk has not changed one bit. Pwnage talk seems to be coming back as well.

Quake seems to bring out the worst in so many people.

Soldato
Gaming has been dumbed down and casualised. Gaming for the masses has meant this has been a necessity.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand we are all gamers and its great gaming is now so popular and mainstream. Its been my hobby since I was a kid and even back then when my parents said I would grow out of it I knew I never would.

On the other hand I lament the loss of a get good or die trying mindset. The hand holding and ever lowering skill ceiling to appeal to the masses.

Whilst I dont condone git gud trash talk, I also think gamera with lower ability also need to step up to the plate. Dont whine becausse you dont instantly do well. Put the time in and improve. I personally find the journey satisfying and being able to put into practice what I have learned very motivating.

But thats just me. Maybe its a maturity thing. So many youngsters playing these days.........

Associate
Gaming has been dumbed down and casualised. Gaming for the masses has meant this has been a necessity.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand we are all gamers and its great gaming is now so popular and mainstream. Its been my hobby since I was a kid and even back then when my parents said I would grow out of it I knew I never would.

On the other hand I lament the loss of a get good or die trying mindset. The hand holding and ever lowering skill ceiling to appeal to the masses.

Whilst I dont condone git gud trash talk, I also think gamera with lower ability also need to step up to the plate. Dont whine becausse you dont instantly do well. Put the time in and improve. I personally find the journey satisfying and being able to put into practice what I have learned very motivating.

But thats just me. Maybe its a maturity thing. So many youngsters playing these days.........
Totally agree, gaming industry as a whole has got a hell of a lot worse and lazy. Look at all the paid/bunged reviewers giving absolutely crap games high marks. I encourage everyone to watch the WorthaBuy youtube channel cause he is the only guy reviewing games for what they are and I agree with him 95% of the time on his reviews.

Quake in generally has always been a massively high skill based game that takes all abilities of an individual in question like reaction times, steady hands, reading the mechanics of the game, controlling resources and setting traps. With Quake Champions they are trying to bleed some of the elements the masses like [abilities] to attract the masses. The problem is however, at its core it is still a skill based game so casual gamers come and get wrecked very quickly. When I first started Quake I got stomped for a good couple of years before I upped my game and became competitive. Kids nowadays want instant success in everything and not willing to work hard for something....

They ultimately need to fix matchmaking so the casual gamers can game with each other.

V F

V F

Soldato
They ultimately need to fix matchmaking so the casual gamers can game with each other.

It was so bad last night some mentioned, we now know how many are on as 4 games after another ended up with the same players. We had a laugh though but some left. :(

I went on with custom games, that was a real hoot with some players from the RA3 days.

Another laugh, saw this last week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGoaWKnYPmM

Soldato
It was so bad last night some mentioned, we now know how many are on as 4 games after another ended up with the same players. We had a laugh though but some left. :(

I went on with custom games, that was a real hoot with some players from the RA3 days.

Another laugh, saw this last week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGoaWKnYPmM

Im not sure matchmaking is the key. It might make it more popular in the short term but how are these players ever going to develop without coming up against good players?

They will be big fish in a small pond and thats never good for longevity.

I think the better players can help here. Back in the days when Q3 had just been released players helped each other. But server mentality was different then. You could just spec and chat without massive complaints and kicks. You could also stop a match mid game and everyone met up to show the new guys tricks.

These days its all trash talk and I think a big part of that is because there is no consequences. You can behave in a terrible way on a server and nothing will be done about it. Proper admin is thin on the ground. So it empowers people to do it all the more. Its literally the manifestation of anonymity without consequence.

Its something I have noticed for a while now. The online environment is just cancer, not just in gaming but many other areas too. Such is mofern life. That's 'progress' y'all. :)

V F

V F

Soldato
From what I remember the trash talk in Quake hasn't changed since what I remember 2000 - 03/4. Some servers and players were good and nice, some players were trolls/antagonisers with the chat spam and also some admin were both good and bad.

The only difference is today you know more about it and can record it. :D

Recording game footage back then simply tanked both your system performance and ping.

I'm finding this is the game I'm playing most nights compared to the days of Battlefield 3/4. Battlefield 3 was a real hoot as well. Always feels like 1999 - 2003 playing Quake Champions. So many fond memories as well as the bunnyhoping gauntlet chases. :D
Funny though (ironic for me) the same things are happening as it did with Quake 3 back then as it is today. Getting games going with so many Americans. I was a hpb back then as I am today. 90 - 124 ping. I think I'm in the West Coast with 3 digits and high doubles in the East Coast. Reminds me of the days of Railbait. They've gone TF2.

I'm gutted the game is dying or what appears to be happening... Unless that changes with the talk of it coming to Steam.

Soldato
Trick maps. They were not mainstream. Lots of skill pools in quake. Normal play as well as defrag and tricks. Q3's physics were way ahead of its time in my opinion. I recommend getting defrag on your computer. Hard as nails but really rewarding.

This is still one of my faveourite vids:

Soldato
3 minutes + to find a game on a saturday evening is driving me a bit mad to be honest, i am getting more impatient as i get older lol

CAn't be assed, waited 5 minutes to get a game, no luck. I've loaded the game up 3 times this week and every time turned off before I got a game, I can't be assed waiting.

Server browser or the game is dead.

V F

V F

Soldato
If this ends up on Steam, I'm curious how your player status/skins/weapons/tags and nameplates carry over?

Soldato
Dam thouse videos bring back memory's, i spent hours days on just one map sometimes, trying to perfect jumps, quake 3 will always be the hardest game to master, still love it to this day, hate how games have been dumbed down so much, most gamers these days, would give up on games like quake/unreal now.

V F

V F

Soldato
I used to hang out on some American servers in Q3F for the Rocket and Grenadier training maps every night for 4 hours. They were quite a challenge. Letting go of the grenades just before they explode to try and double grenade/rocket to get the height to slot on some of the small ledges and holes in the walls. The later levels were huge. Fun times we had. This was before Q3F Beta 2.0.

Q3F Beta 1h were the days. Think I got into Q3F not long after the release of Beta 1d.
Sadly I do not see any footage of those training maps.

Mmm the memories. Snipers were a pain in the ass even back them. :D Sneak about as agent to inject them. There were so many funny moments.

Soldato
Quake 3 servers are cheap as chips to run these days. I had a 16 playet 3wave CTFS server up until pretty recently. Was about 11 quid a month or something.

As long as you get a provider that allows FTP you can put any mod you like on.

I closed my server due to lack of use. Sad to say I think the sun has set on Q3 now. But it had a good innings :)

Soldato
The way it sounds from a lot of people Quake Champions isn't far behind. :/

I genuinely think thats a shame. I think QC has struggled a little with identity though. Given the issues so many people are getting and the steep learning curve the odds were always stacked against it. Veterans dont like it much for ez mode rubbish and lobbies. New players dont like it because git gud pwnage and trash talk.

Skill based shooters definitely seem niche these days. I played Tribes Ascend for a few years and that is an awesome game. But player base is tiny and new blood are all like OMFG HAAAAAAX because they dont understand the game and the fact it takes time to learn and do well (also tribes franchise has been around since q3 so you have 10+ year vets playing as well as pros).

Back
Top Bottom