Quake champions

V F

V F

Soldato
Guys am in Love with Quake again lol I can not stop playing FFA railgun deathmatch! Double Whammy for days.

Ah, Instagib?

This. I'm an easy going laid back person but some things wind me up. Dodgy hitscan and lag are a couple of them. My problem I guess, but it is what it is :)

It's the lag compensation built into the netcode. If a player comes into the server with 100 ping, the server adjusts the hitscan for the worst player. So everyone suffers. However because of the low playerbase originally, it had to be done.

That and several patches they've been switching between server and clientside hit detection.

I've still been playing it since you hooked me up with the closed beta test, even though there has been rough patch releases. :D

Rocket speed is down to 1100ups from 1200 originally. Quake Live is 1000 and Q3A 900ups.

Death Knight from Q1 is coming as a new Champion as well as Sarge and Klesk at some point. Which leaves the grappling hook champion for CTF as the 5th champion for 2018's release schedule.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's the lag compensation built into the netcode. If a player comes into the server with 100 ping, the server adjusts the hitscan for the worst player. So everyone suffers. However because of the low playerbase originally, it had to be done.

The engine uses a similar technique with a history buffer like BF4 for backwards reconcilliation which I've never been a fan of - always preferred the slightly different approach to it used by Haste in the unlagged mod for Quake 3 - without the later fudges to try and offset the complaints about hits behind walls or being able to hit slightly behind the player model which I can see why people complain about it but ultimately a certain amount of trade off there is the best compromise for reliable hit detection for everyone and can have a fairly minimal valid time for hits on a player after they've gone into cover if done right but will still have a little bit of it.

Soldato
Are the bot matches on this local?

I watched some streams & also some youtube videos of people playing vs bots where there is clear delay on hitreg (even on railgun) & rockets are still buggy/delayed (intermittently).

If bots are local and this is happening, does that not point more towards the game being broken at a lower level than lag compensation/netcode?

I've not played it since the closed beta, was hopeful they would maybe fix a lot of bugs over time & maybe give it another try if they added CTF.

The sounds & announcer etc make me feel like trying it again just for nostalgia but I haven't bothered as the game just looks broken & frustrating to play.
Yeah it is one of the main reasons why I stopped playing it - I think the underlying engine is too broken that short of porting the assets, etc. to a new engine things like the random rocket launcher delay, vagueness of the railgun, etc. will at best be somewhat masked and never truly fixed.
This is how I feel.

I played in the closed beta when the bethesda forums were full of overwatch fans saying about how amazing everything was while trying to discredit any old quake player who picked fault with anything.
Had no real interest in continuing testing the game as every bug report thread ended up with someone being abusive or complaining that changes to x would effect their favourite character.

V F

V F

Soldato
The sounds & announcer etc make me feel like trying it again just for nostalgia but I haven't bothered as the game just looks broken & frustrating to play.

Sadly it is frustrating as I'm getting huge amounts of input lag. Even killing people with rockets you see the pause then death.
It feels like playing on satellite broadband.

Rails go through peoples legs and other times your crosshair isn't on them and you get the frag.

There are many regular known streamers and even Professional players/streamers who get tilted by the game on stream.

This is how I feel.

I played in the closed beta when the bethesda forums were full of overwatch fans saying about how amazing everything was while trying to discredit any old quake player who picked fault with anything.
Had no real interest in continuing testing the game as every bug report thread ended up with someone being abusive or complaining that changes to x would effect their favourite character.

Nearly the entire game has been nerfed from all the complaints. The game keeps changing on each patch and sadly more things break than get fixed.

Soldato
Wow this is quake 3 all over again for me. Bit confused about the packs though, so have I now got the game for free but not all the players and this is whats available on steam for reduced price of £13.99?

Soldato
Sadly it is frustrating as I'm getting huge amounts of input lag. Even killing people with rockets you see the pause then death.
It feels like playing on satellite broadband.

Rails go through peoples legs and other times your crosshair isn't on them and you get the frag.

There are many regular known streamers and even Professional players/streamers who get tilted by the game on stream.

Nearly the entire game has been nerfed from all the complaints. The game keeps changing on each patch and sadly more things break than get fixed.

Got to say, I trust your feedback more than most (along.with Rroff). Seems to me that they haven't really moved on from when I was playing it last.

One of my main problems with QC is that they have tried to keep everyone happy - bottom line is quake is a get better or quit game. That includes netcode. Either you have a decent connection or you dont. If you dont, then adapt or upgrade. Jeez I learned to play Q3 with 280 ping @ 15fps. Gamers these days just dont have the will and want it all handed to them on a plate.

I feel that in trying to be accessible they have lost their way in terms of the spirit of quake. They have lost the thread of what makes quake quake.

Or is it just me?

Associate
Im still having fun on this but the special abilities are another thing that really annoys me, they shouldn't be there, but apart from the iffy hit reg and the abilities....yeah im having some fun still, oh and im poop at this game lol

Soldato
Yup for 13.99 is a bargain, and you get all champions, paid 29.99 from store last year and well worth it.

Nice one. Purchased it now. Absolutely great game. I haven't really played quake since 2002. Use to play q3 for 3-5 hours a day back then. Perfect game to get me spending money down the pub every night.

Back
Top Bottom