Quake champions

Soldato
Great video, i must have played 1000's of hours of quake 3 ctf/cctf/ra3/wfa/q3f, and other mods :) still have my quake 3 install folder with all the mods on my gaming pc, will never ever delete it, have most of the latest games, but still go back to quake 3, also play quake live, quite like that.

V F

V F

Soldato
I had bought Q3A and Q3L during the QCON sale for practice since there are no bots for Quake Champions. Unreal there are no gibs in Quake Live. Nightmare mode is fun in Q3A. Wish I never stopped playing Q3A back in 2003/4.

Man of Honour
I gave up on it ever having top notch "netcode" and servers I could jump in and out at will while there is a lot I really like about the game without those ot doesn't hit the spot for me.

V F

V F

Soldato
Soldato
Quake III Arena will never be surpassed imo.

I thinks so too but a big part of that is nostalgia for me. My life was in a happy place and I have great memories spent on Q3 online and lans with mates. It feels like the gaming comminity was far less toxic back then. Even if a Q3 beater was ever released Im not sure it would ever mean as much to me or be as enjoyable.

I love Tribes Ascend and its the only game that compares to Q3 in my gaming journey and the only one I have invested time and effort in like I did with Q3 but even TA doesent match it.

Still have Q3 installed and all my mods and a server config / maps.

I also have Q1 installed too, cos that game is also frickin awesome! :p

V F

V F

Soldato
No gibs though. :/

They turn into sparks which is quite pathetic. Don’t like the announcer and other things that was greatly changed from Quake 3.

Associate
I thinks so too but a big part of that is nostalgia for me. My life was in a happy place and I have great memories spent on Q3 online and lans with mates. It feels like the gaming comminity was far less toxic back then. Even if a Q3 beater was ever released Im not sure it would ever mean as much to me or be as enjoyable.

I love Tribes Ascend and its the only game that compares to Q3 in my gaming journey and the only one I have invested time and effort in like I did with Q3 but even TA doesent match it.

Does Tribes Ascend still exist? I saw something about the servers being taken down

Associate

Quake 3 A with OSP mod at its peak was far superior experience than QC has been so far. I am of the impression that if they upgraded the existing engine from Q3 and poured development time into adding new features it would have been much better received and a lot of old school players returning. It would require development effort but having seen QC and how they are approaching that game with every patch breaking something new and same old problems coming back - I really despair.

Man of Honour
Quake 3 A with OSP mod at its peak was far superior experience than QC has been so far. I am of the impression that if they upgraded the existing engine from Q3 and poured development time into adding new features it would have been much better received and a lot of old school players returning. It would require development effort but having seen QC and how they are approaching that game with every patch breaking something new and same old problems coming back - I really despair.

Thing is though with Quake 3 - you quickly flick and rail someone it was seamless and fluid but in Quake Champions it feels clunky and with a good chance of inconsistent delay and rails missing when they really should have hit, etc.

Soldato

They are trying to make a skill based twitch shooter that appeals to the modern casual masses (IE lobbies and loot system). Trouble is, skill based and casual are diametrically opposed as concepts. Nowt wrong with casual online FPS games or players but they have no place in a skill based FPS. And vice versa.

Also QC is selling to a niche market. PC gamers are in decline and all sales figures back that up. I lament the situation but I think it is the ultimate cost of a broader gaming audience, the massive success of consoles and the total monetisation of the games industry. Back when Q3 was released games were made to last and made with passion for gaming and gamers and also designed to be good games. Now games are made to see a return on investment and to milk the audience with micro transactions and DLC.

Now its an industry whereas in '99 it was a niche. Times have changed.

Back
Top Bottom